Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T TV Purchase Advice Required

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I am in the market for a new TV but I am a little clueless on the current range of products and their positives and negatives.

I currently only own CRTs so this is quite a bewildering decision to make.

What I think I want from my new TV:

Sitting 3-4m away I have worked out something between 37 and 42 inch would be OK

1080p HD

SMART TV sounds good but is it actually worth it? I would probably want WiFi built in as TV will not be next to router - it appears the usefulness of SMART TV relies on the Apps available for the manufacturers platform and quality of said platform

Budget an absolute max of £400 but preferable between £300 to £350.

Need to connect to a Raspberry Pi but I see no issue here.

I like the sound of USB device recording and playback - any compatability issues here? FAT file structure etc for large files?

I also like the sound of a twin tuner but this seems to be unavailable in my price range.

I have a couple of Sony accessories so familiarity of the remote and possible cross compatability and only needing 1 remote appears attractive but I get the impression Sony products are well overpriced compared to similar specs elsewhere.

I am not a big watcher of TV and I am not a TV / Hi Fi buff, reading a lot of reviews there are equal positives and negatives between all brands.

Watching TV wearing glasses (3D) seems a big step backwards but I want to futureproof myself for at least the next 5 years if not 10+ if possible.

I have a Wii and other old DVD / Freesat devices but most of these new units only seem to have a single Scart connector, is this an issue?

Based on all the above I have concluded that the Toshiba 40L6353 might be the one to go for but I would welcome comments and suggestions for alternatives:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/toshiba/40l6353/tosh-40l6353

Panasonic seems to be the most desirable mainstream brand but their products are quite a bit more expensive than the above and I'm not sure I will appreciate it.

Thanks for reading - I plan to go to Richer in Brighton tomorrow and get the above Toshiba unless I get talked out of it......

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I sit just about 3m away from mine and so glad I went for the 42 over anything smaller.

You can also get a component cable for your Wii which gives a much better picture than the standard cable/scart it comes with.

Can't help with anything else though.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Thanks for the Wii tip!

I don't want the set to dominate the room but your size comment has also been noted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for the Wii tip!

I don't want the set to dominate the room but your size comment has also been noted.

I went through the same angst over the size. In the end I don't think the 42" does in ours, but it's a judgement call obviously. I know I haven't for a second regretted going for that size.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have a Raspberry Pi set up with XBMC and it connects via HDMI so make sure you got enough ports.
My TV is a 42" Samsung smart TV and I can use the built in browser to watch streams from places like cricfree.tv (I expect I could probably set the Pi up to do that too but haven't got round to checking yet)

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Smart tv is the way to go and can always add apps and update them as well and personally I wouldn't go any less than 40 inch tv.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Smart tv is the way to go and can always add apps and update them as well and personally I wouldn't go any less than 40 inch tv.

Is the firmware on Smart Tvs updateable if the manufacturer makes changes, improvements and bug fixes etc.? The Toshiba platform seems quite a weakness with limited catch-up options (no 4OD or itvplayer) and it can't be done through the browser as the catchup sites use Java which isn't compatible.

I would take a good look at LG and Samsung in that price range. I assume you are looking at Freeview built in ?

Yes, I think every single TV I have checked out has HD freeview built in.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Is the firmware on Smart Tvs updateable if the manufacturer makes changes, improvements and bug fixes etc.? The Toshiba platform seems quite a weakness with limited catch-up options (no 4OD or itvplayer) and it can't be done through the browser as the catchup sites use Java which isn't compatible.

Yes any firmware supplied should update and if any apps wanting cash for say premium channels etc well there is a fix for that too lol

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
do not go to a big chain like currys,if you have time go to HILLS in portslade and ask for DAN,what he doesnt know about tvs aint worth knowing,and the after sales from therir is superb,they will come and set it up and make sure it is set up correct.got a sale on at the mo

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Watch out for some budget TVs which are being sold at bargain prices at this time of the year , they only have Freeview tuners and need a HD Freeview box connected to get the HD channels. A HD ready TV may not be 1080p but have a maximum res of 720p.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
do not go to a big chain like currys,if you have time go to HILLS in portslade and ask for DAN,what he doesnt know about tvs aint worth knowing,and the after sales from therir is superb,they will come and set it up and make sure it is set up correct.got a sale on at the mo

Its always worthwhile popping into Currys to see what you like in your price range. Then go to an independent for the right advice. The picture on the TV in the showroom will be at the dynamic setting , the small independents will set up the TV properly and in most cases have a dedicated cinema viewing room to give a demo.

Gumbo

Feb 18, 2009
I saw in asda this week they had 50inch LG tv for only £349. Seems like a steal to me..

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Another vote for Hills. Although having said that the last time I went in there the customer service was appalling, so much so that I actually ended up buying my TV from Richer Sounds. But I had the misfortune to be served by a 'kid' who had eyes everywhere except on this customer who was looking to spend!

But when I am back in the market for another TV then Hills will be my first port of call.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I got mine from Richer Sounds. All the advice you could need and good prices.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Go for the larger size, you will not regret it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here