Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My needs for the season

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
As well as Palace relegation, Sunderland relegation and not getting to Wembley. I now feel that Brighton need to go up instead of Burnley (rather than the option of as well as). It is getting too much

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not for me. If we were to, by some miracle, go up, I'd LOVE Burnley to take one of the other slots, rather than pretty much ANY of the other likely candidates.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Not for me. If we were to, by some miracle, go up, I'd LOVE Burnley to take one of the other slots, rather than pretty much ANY of the other likely candidates.

If Brighton got promoted, I'd want to go up with teams that have the most probability of going straight back down, so I agree.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Brighton got promoted, I'd want to go up with teams that have the most probability of going straight back down, so I agree.

To be honest, to a tiny extent, I was considering that angle, but it was really more the fact of how FUNNY it will be if QPR, Leicester, Forest, etc DON'T make it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
To be honest, to a tiny extent, I was considering that angle, but it was really more the fact of how FUNNY it will be if QPR, Leicester, Forest, etc DON'T make it.

Same here. I mean, Derby haven't really done anything to nark me off, so they'd be OK (though I bet they'd have loads of money to spend if they went up), and Ipswich are fairly inoffensive. But the three you've mentioned, plus Leeds and Reading, can just do one.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As well as Palace relegation, Sunderland relegation and not getting to Wembley. I now feel that Brighton need to go up instead of Burnley (rather than the option of as well as). It is getting too much

First and third yes, and, its been done to death and I'm getting bored of it, but the second is just spiteful and unnecessary. Cue BW (or Bwian or Symjym) :p.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
After going to Turf Moor and being subjected to that God-awful goal music, I lost all respect for that noddy club. They deserve nothing but relegation, all the way down.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I've been thinking alot about this (yes it hurts) as the Barnesy move became official.

What I think we need most is to build a team with consistency. Doesnt sound very sexy does it, but I think that is the difference between us and others. Look at last season. Cardiff and Hull were consistently good (not great) but quietly grinding out results. No superstars, no buying big, just consistently turning draws into wins week in week out.

IMHO, we have too many players who just simply aren't consistently good week in, week out. We loved Bridcutt for his consistency, same with Upson, same with Bridge last year. Nothing spectacular, just consistently quality in all that they do. So, to my point. Where are some of our current and recently departed players on the consistency scale? I think the heart of our squad has a consistency problem.

Barnes - Inconsistent in his main job of scoring goals
Bridcutt - Mr. Consistency but hasn't been in recent games
Calderon - Mostly consistent but occasional shockers
Orlandi - Mostly consistent but occasional games with little or no impact
Bruno, Spanish Dave, Buckley, Lua Lua, CMS, Vicente, JFC, Kemy, Noone - Inconsistent
Ulloa - Consistently good
Koosh - Mr Consistency in goal, with occasional howler last year
Greer - Mostly consistent

Every player has peaks and dips in form, but in totality, I see Brighton as a club underachieving given the individual players quality. We are what we are because we have too many players who aren't routinely consistent in their performances. I'm OK with Barnes going IF we sign a new striker who will prove to be a more consistent scorer. He can be less of that all round grafter IF he accomplishes his main task for the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The chances of all those things happening are very small. My nightmare scenario is a play off against Burnley with Barnes scoring the winner for them, I'd probably be more pissed with that than the second leg capitulation against Palace.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
First and third yes, and, its been done to death and I'm getting bored of it, but the second is just spiteful and unnecessary. Cue BW (or Bwian or Symjym) :p.

I keep saying that I think Gus will keep Sunderland up but, hey, I just want him to keep his filthy gross-misconduct-infected hands off of our best players. Where Sunderland end up is of little interest to me. You see, I'm a Brighton, not Gus fan.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've been thinking alot about this (yes it hurts) as the Barnesy move became official.

What I think we need most is to build a team with consistency. Doesnt sound very sexy does it, but I think that is the difference between us and others. Look at last season. Cardiff and Hull were consistently good (not great) but quietly grinding out results. No superstars, no buying big, just consistently turning draws into wins week in week out.

IMHO, we have too many players who just simply aren't consistently good week in, week out. We loved Bridcutt for his consistency, same with Upson, same with Bridge last year. Nothing spectacular, just consistently quality in all that they do. So, to my point. Where are some of our current and recently departed players on the consistency scale? I think the heart of our squad has a consistency problem.

Barnes - Inconsistent in his main job of scoring goals
Bridcutt - Mr. Consistency but hasn't been in recent games
Calderon - Mostly consistent but occasional shockers
Orlandi - Mostly consistent but occasional games with little or no impact
Bruno, Spanish Dave, Buckley, Lua Lua, CMS, Vicente, JFC, Kemy, Noone - Inconsistent
Ulloa - Consistently good
Koosh - Mr Consistency in goal, with occasional howler last year
Greer - Mostly consistent

Every player has peaks and dips in form, but in totality, I see Brighton as a club underachieving given the individual players quality. We are what we are because we have too many players who aren't routinely consistent in their performances. I'm OK with Barnes going IF we sign a new striker who will prove to be a more consistent scorer. He can be less of that all round grafter IF he accomplishes his main task for the team.

I think there's a lot in what you say that I agree with. I think you need a balance of 70% of players that will just grind out the result and be consistent e.g. Bridcutt and El Abd, and 30% who are your stand out players e.g. Ulloa.

Trouble is we have a good 60% where you never know which player will turn up e.g. Spanish Dave this season.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Agreed - and in the situation where we did get promoted I'd like to see both Sunderland and Palace avoid relegation - If we don't get promoted then I hope they get relegated - let's beat them on the field

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Re-occuring bad dream,we gain promotion to the Premiership,GREAT! then I pick up the fixture list ,Arsenal,Chelsea,Man Un,ted,Man City,Liverpool,Everton, wake up phew what a relief we are still in the Championship.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My ideal season would be promotion for us, and knocking Palace out of the cup in round 5.

Anything else is very minor in comparison, although the gloating goons up the road pretty much deserve a relegation to calm their arrogance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here