Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't forget ....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We are a couple of weeks away from getting our £3.25m striker back on the pitch. I predict CMS is going to have a big say in the end of our campaign this season. I think he will excel under Garcia and have a new lease of life, playing with a bit more freedom and the pressure off from ploughing a lone furrow up front. Bound to be a bit rusty to start with but should start firing on all cylinders around mid march.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
We are a couple of weeks away from getting our £3.25m striker back on the pitch. I predict CMS is going to have a big say in the end of our campaign this season. I think he will excel under Garcia and have a new lease of life, playing with a bit more freedom and the pressure off from ploughing a lone furrow up front. Bound to be a bit rusty to start with but should start firing on all cylinders around mid march.

But possibly more than a couple of weeks before he is fully match fit, used to the new style of play and anywhere near fulfilling his potential. That's to say, almost a full year since he was stretchered off at Bristol.
Otherwise, I agree entirely. I'm convinced that we've yet to see the best of CMS and that he will thrive under the new approach.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I still don't see any evidence of us ever playing with a front-two on a regular basis so I'm not so sure. He may well thrive given the chance to form an understanding with Ulloa but he's more likely to get stuck up front on his own which shows up his often dreadful first touch or out wide in a three.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Formation change is irrelevant, the bloke can't do the basics of being a striker.

Cms has scored goals that Ashley Barnes could only dream of scoring. The ones against Leeds and Burnley spring to mind. That's quality, not something that can be trained into you...Cms will come good, just needs the right conditions and manager.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely it's more than he needs to massively improve his positioning, first touch and off the ball running? Also, if he's lost his pace....that's that.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hm. CMS ... CMS ... ah! Yes, I remember now.

Is there any evidence that a return is imminent? Will he be the same player when he does come back?

I just can't see Garcia playing him and Ulloa in the same starting XI, but I may be wrong.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Really hope you're right, because he has been incredibly disappointing so far.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Cms has scored goals that Ashley Barnes could only dream of scoring. The ones against Leeds and Burnley spring to mind. That's quality, not something that can be trained into you...Cms will come good, just needs the right conditions and manager.

Sorry Kev, I have to disagree. CMS occasionally hits a worldy which gets us all on our feet in astonishment, the rest of the time he runs around like a loon controlling the ball half way up his shinpad. He lacks composure and vision in front of goal. You're being caught in the trap of forgetting how pony he was before he got injured and only remembering the stunners he scored. It's the same when Hoskins makes his annual appearance, everybody starts raving about how how good he is, truth is none of us have a clue as we rarely see him.
Pretending CMS is the season saviour is a bit desperate, trying to gloss over the fact we're selling 2 important first team players and so far we've got in Jon Obika, who it would appear has been mostly terrible everywhere he's been. I'll be gobsmacked if we actually spend any money on a player of any note, obviously I'll be chuffed to bits, but all the while we can hide behind FFP we're not going to spend any money. Hope I'm wrong though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Most people who come back from long term injuries such as this normally won't come good til the season after. Having gone through a proper preseason.

I expect very little from CMS when he returns.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Can’t believe the negativity to be honest...

CMS didn’t suit Gus Poyets approach or style - FACT, he hasn’t had the opportunity to form a partnership with Ulloa under a manager who has a more direct style and different approach than Gus.

Judge the guy at the end of the season when he's had that opportunity, his goal scoring record over the past 5 seasons earns him my respect, people complimented Barnes for his work rate, CMS has that in an abundance.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Hope he gets a few reserve/development/whatever they're called now games under his belt first, don't want him being rushed back. No Sir-ee.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Where he thrived at Peterborough was because they just played the ball up so quickly. Gus's approach was much more slowly built up which CMS did not fit at all. Oscar tries to get the ball moving quicker than Gus's style of player, whilst still playing football. Think CMS may just about fit in with Ulloa (hopefully).

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
trying to gloss over the fact we're selling 2 important first team players and so far we've got in Jon Obika, who it would appear has been mostly terrible everywhere he's been. I'll be gobsmacked if we actually spend any money on a player of any note, obviously I'll be chuffed to bits, but all the while we can hide behind FFP we're not going to spend any money. Hope I'm wrong though.

So your judging our transfer window on activity over the past week and just 10 days into the window ?? I would suggest the negativity should wait until business has been concluded, I supsect a lot of people are going to have egg on face.

I also have a sneaking suspicion Obika will give us something Barnes didn't, which is a higher conversion rate in front of goal.... pivotal if we have realistic ambitions of making the play offs.

In Bloom / Barber and Oscar I trust.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think people forget that he was poorly used by Gus. Played as a lone striker and most of his service came from crosses etc. I think if he was played alongside Ulloa he would offer us a different dimension. Hopefully he hasn't lost much of his pace.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sorry Kev, I have to disagree. CMS occasionally hits a worldy which gets us all on our feet in astonishment, the rest of the time he runs around like a loon controlling the ball half way up his shinpad. He lacks composure and vision in front of goal. You're being caught in the trap of forgetting how pony he was before he got injured and only remembering the stunners he scored. It's the same when Hoskins makes his annual appearance, everybody starts raving about how how good he is, truth is none of us have a clue as we rarely see him.
Pretending CMS is the season saviour is a bit desperate, trying to gloss over the fact we're selling 2 important first team players and so far we've got in Jon Obika, who it would appear has been mostly terrible everywhere he's been. I'll be gobsmacked if we actually spend any money on a player of any note, obviously I'll be chuffed to bits, but all the while we can hide behind FFP we're not going to spend any money. Hope I'm wrong though.

On the sort of same lines, I do think the club are playing a dangerous game with the fans...23,000 odd of us commit our hard earnt money every month. We all know Poyet over spent and it needed to be reeled in to some extent and we all understand that. But plying us with loans and freebies does take the piss a tad....You don't bite the hand that feeds you...Think we would all like to see a few quid being spent, especially if we get £4m for Bridcutt in the next few weeks.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It will take him a while to get back into the swing of things and I just hope he hasn't lost any of his pace. His injury was a particularly nasty one but if he can get his pace and confidence back quickly, then our front line will be quite a force to be reckoned with.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
30 goals in 117 games in the Championship. Turns 30 next month, recovering from a tough injury and hasn't kicked a ball in anger for a year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here