Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio sussex commentary

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Can someone confirm this is right, You can only listen to the Radio Sussex commentary over the air (and therefore only in Sussex), not via internet ?

Also, what about away games, do Sussex broadcast these too ?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Can someone confirm this is right, You can only listen to the Radio Sussex commentary over the air (and therefore only in Sussex), not via internet ?

Yes and yes (again only over airwaves).

A sad ploy by our and all other clubs to stiff fans not living locally!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
For league games, yes. Also on Seagulls Player (when it works).

The exception is for cup games where it is also available on the BBC iPlayer.

It has nothing to do with clubs, it's the league/BBC contracts.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
For league games, yes. Also on Seagulls Player (when it works).

The exception is for cup games where it is also available on the BBC iPlayer.

It has nothing to do with clubs, it's the league/BBC contracts.

Nothing to do with the clubs?! The League is effectively the clubs.

And I keep getting told its nothing to do with the BBC, so yes it is everything to do with the clubs.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This is true although, for some bizarre reason, the commentary for the Charlton away match on Boxing day was available live on iPlayer for the whole match. I can only assume that they had holiday cover staffing at the BBC and someone forgot to turn off the feed, or wasn't aware that they were supposed to. Anyway it was extremely helpful as I was up north visiting relatives for Christmas and was able to listen to the match in the same way as I normally do for away matches when I'm at home in Sussex.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

And I keep getting told its nothing to do with the BBC, so yes it is everything to do with the clubs.

The Football League negotiated a deal with the BBC, how is that the clubs fault? The clubs join the league, subject to the leagues conditions, this is one of the conditions.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ok here goes.

Home Games
You can listen to live comm on Radio Sussex DAB if you are in the Sussex Area only
You can listen to live comm if you are signed up to Seagulls Player
If you try to listen to live comm via the BBC Iplayer you will get an alternative match covered by Radio Surrey which is usually Aldershot or some other team we have no interest in.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The Football League negotiated a deal with the BBC, how is that the clubs fault? The clubs join the league, subject to the leagues conditions, this is one of the conditions.

No clubs, no League. The Football League represents its members i.e. the clubs

If all clubs said to the League, this is unfair on fans outside of local area, then I'm sure contract would change. But clubs make money out of Seagulls Player, so not going to happen.

It costs more money for fans outside area to support their team already. So either we all pay for Seagulls player or no-one is my view but appreciate not going to happen.

Still comes back to clubs stiffing fans who live outside local area.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The radio coverage lasts well into Kent on 104.5 and as far as Dorset on 104.8 if that helps.

Edit. I've even picked it up in parts of Essex.

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009

The Clubs belong to the League, and - for live commentary rights - the League acts as a collective bargainer selling those rights to the highest bidder, which currently is the BBC. Under the terms of the contract, the BBC can broadcast to the home club's area by conventional radio, but may not broadcast the game on the internet, thus allowing the league/clubs to broadcast the game on their websites, and thus monetise their product.

Football clubs do not - and should not - give their product away for free. Spectators pay to enter the ground to watch the game - you can't just get in for nothing and watch for free. Spectators pay to watch football on TV - either via your licence fee or Sky/BT Sports subscription. They have a product which they can sell.

It would be quite possible for the clubs to place their commentaries exclusively online - so fans would have to subscribe to Player and pay to listen to the match - but they don't. (God help us all if they did!) Locals get the commentary broadcast on-air as part of their BBC licence fee, while its the rest of the world outside Sussex which has to pay.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
No clubs, no League. The Football League represents its members i.e. the clubs

If all clubs said to the League, this is unfair on fans outside of local area, then I'm sure contract would change. But clubs make money out of Seagulls Player, so not going to happen.

It costs more money for fans outside area to support their team already. So either we all pay for Seagulls player or no-one is my view but appreciate not going to happen.

Still comes back to clubs stiffing fans who live outside local area.

You clearly have one view, I have another. There are more eloquent explanations elsewhere on this thread, suffice to say, the club is not stiffing anyone, it's not a charity. However, the club has joined a league that is forward thinking enough to make commentary available to people far and wide, not just in the local area. If the BBC had the choice, they'd play Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea (Premier League) commentary on local radio, because it would be more popular than the local division 2/3/4 side.

So the League have made a deal to ensure that a) local radio broadcasts local teams commentary, and b) those who, for whatever reason don't want to listen to their local teams commentary, can subscribe to hear another teams commentary.

And anyway, in what way do you believe the FL represents its members? Like **** they do, they represent themselves, have their own agenda, and have done for some time. Next you'll be telling me the FA do a great job for grass roots football, the EPL is a benevolent footballing organisation, UEFA respects football at all levels and FIFA are in touch with what fans want.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The Clubs belong to the League, and - for live commentary rights - the League acts as a collective bargainer selling those rights to the highest bidder, which currently is the BBC. Under the terms of the contract, the BBC can broadcast to the home club's area by conventional radio, but may not broadcast the game on the internet, thus allowing the league/clubs to broadcast the game on their websites, and thus monetise their product.

Football clubs do not - and should not - give their product away for free. Spectators pay to enter the ground to watch the game - you can't just get in for nothing and watch for free. Spectators pay to watch football on TV - either via your licence fee or Sky/BT Sports subscription. They have a product which they can sell.

It would be quite possible for the clubs to place their commentaries exclusively online - so fans would have to subscribe to Player and pay to listen to the match - but they don't. (God help us all if they did!) Locals get the commentary broadcast on-air as part of their BBC licence fee, while its the rest of the world outside Sussex which has to pay.

I understand all that. BTW thank you for confirming your first sentence which is at odds with what Superphil seems to think.

Totally agree clubs shouldn't give away their product for free. But I also pay my BBC License fee and can listen to Radio Sussex at any other time of the week. So why prevent me from listening to something others who pay the same License fee can? It would be like on a live BBC TV game, fans in Sussex can watch on terrestrial, but from anywhere else in the country (where we pay the same BBC license fee), we have to pay to watch via Sky.

So I come back to my point, equality would be either all pay for Seagulls Player (I note your concern should this happen) or we all pay via our BBC License fee.

So my point stands that, at present, clubs are stiffing those outside local area.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I understand all that. BTW thank you for confirming your first sentence which is at odds with what Superphil seems to think.

Do you really think the clubs (epsecially those who were in L2 at the time) had any say in that collective bargaining? The big few clubs in the FL at the time may have seen it as a cash cow opportunity and supported it, and would have made damn sure it suited them, and sod all the teams lower down the Championship and below.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
However, the club has joined a league that is forward thinking enough to make commentary available to people far and wide, not just in the local area. If the BBC had the choice, they'd play Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea (Premier League) commentary on local radio

Not sure that's true. The BBC have actually secured the rights themselves for local (radio only) coverage of the Albion and many other non prem league commentaries around the country because there is a demand for them in their local areas.
Nearly all 40 BBC local radio stations do (radio only) live commentary of their local club (s). Commercial local radio sometimes bid for these rights.

The BBC do not have online rights as the League have kept those (and the full length highlights rights) to try to turn that into a subscription business for clubs (extended highlights, online commentary on various "player" branded products) Can make sense for expats or non Sussex Albion fans when it works of course. Too early to say whether it's generated enough business / subscribers to dub it a success for the league. / club

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
However, the club has joined a league that is forward thinking enough to make commentary available to people far and wide, not just in the local area. If the BBC had the choice, they'd play Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea (Premier League) commentary on local radio
Not sure that's true. The BBC have actually secured the rights themselves for local (radio only) coverage of the Albion and many other non prem league commentaries around the country because there is a demand for them in their local areas.
Nearly all 40 BBC local radio stations do (radio only) live commentary of their local club (s). Commercial local radio sometimes bid for these rights.

The BBC do not have online rights as the League have kept those (and the full length highlights rights) to try to turn that into a subscription business for clubs (extended highlights, online commentary on various "player" branded products) Can make sense for expats or non Sussex Albion fans when it works of course. Too early to say whether it's generated enough business / subscribers to dub it a success for the league. / club

you say potato...... I get what you mean, the BBC have secured the rights by doing the deal with the FL, who hold the rights, they call the shots, and agree the fees, assuming the BBC wants it. Some years ago Ken Bates set up his own radio station (Radio Yorkshire) to broadcast LUFC commentary, probably told BBC and the FL to do one, but I think that's the only one to have gone against the FL/BBC tie up (cartel), and I think that has gone now. Local BBC would happily play EPL commentary if they could get it, it would do wonders for their ratings.

As for too early to say if it's (Player) has been a success, it's been in place for quite a number of years hasn't it? At least since 2004 when I first subscribed to it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Do you really think the clubs (epsecially those who were in L2 at the time) had any say in that collective bargaining? The big few clubs in the FL at the time may have seen it as a cash cow opportunity and supported it, and would have made damn sure it suited them, and sod all the teams lower down the Championship and below.

I think Paul Barber's open letter before Xmas regarding Seagulls Player gives a clearer picture:

" The Albion was one of a majority of Football League clubs that signed this long term contract for which the Player service is just one element. Yes, there is a service level agreement, and, yes, we are using that to judge the current suppliers, Perform, but walking away is not an option for us at this time.

The club does have a right to opt out at the end of the current contract or when it ceases to be a Football League member."

I wonder when the current contract ends, and whether the club would then be prepared to make the live commentaries of its matches fairer to ALL its fans? I might drop him an email on this point.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Seagulls Player costs 83p a game, plus all the extra highlights, videos and interviews.

That's pretty good value

That's stiffing the fans good and proper Bloom Out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here