Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Player (Again) Brighton V Birmingham 11th Jan - Please read if you use commentary

Jan 6, 2014
All

Whilst the recent action on Seagulls Player by the club and users on this forum has bought improvements to the service (for which I for one am extremely grateful) it is clear that there are still issues which are being reported. These are mainly, it seems, on mobile platforms particularly but not exclusively devices on Android operating systems. Given I can stream radio from America and watch Sky sports uninterrupted on mobile, the level of service from Player is still to me, unacceptable for a paid service for which there is no alternative I can go to.

As many of us know from previous individual complaints, there is more likelihood of turning to stone than these being taken seriously, therefore, some co-ordinated action is required to collectively complain about these problems, otherwise the existing issues which remain forever and a day. Can I therefore please ask that anyone who uses player to post on THIS thread the nature of the issue experienced for the Brighton V Birmingham game on Saturday 25th January. This will hopefully give us greater clarity surrounding problems and the more of us that take part, the more weight this will give any potential complaint.

Ideally in advance of Saturday, please can you post of this thread if you are willing to detail any issues experienced and the following detail ;

Device you are likely to be listening on (E.G Laptop / PC / Mobile) and then

IF Mobile

Mobile supplier (E.G Samsung)
Mobile Device (E.G S3)
Software Version (In Android, this can be done by accessing SETTINGS, ABOUT DEVICE (In ‘’System’’) and looking at Android Version (E.g 4.1.2)
Please detail if you listen by the Football league App or via browser. If you are listening via browser please state which one (E.G Chrome, Dolphin etc)
Please also confirm if using the app you have the latest version downloaded.

IF PC / Laptop

Please detail the browser you are using.

For anyone unwilling to post this on a public forum but is willing to help, please e-mail the following seagullsplayerimprovement@gmail.com or follow on twitter @FLPimprovement which is just off the ground and currently follows the grand total of 1 (er North Stand Chat). I’ll get stuck into the Football League later today (some cut and paste from the Google play app will do for starters) which I am quite looking forward to given I read last night how the FL stitched us up in DK’s book over the Gillingham move.

Lastly, Anyone with any better ideas, lets hear them. Also, help welcome with administering e-mail, twitter and this account - let me know. I normally post on here as Iggle Piggle. I will need help as I am not around for the 2 games after Birmingham.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Happy to be involved but only listen to commentaries for away games which I am not attending so the next time I access the service will be the Burnley game (bad fan but it's just too far - and a shithole!). If you keep this going then great! I think it's an excellent idea. :thumbsup:

Samsung S III GT-I9300
Version 4.1.2

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Definitely a good initiative. Personally I have unsubscribed and am lucky enough to live in Brighton so I have the option of the super reliable radio! But this could be invaluable for those elsewhere.

The recent 'refund' offer was a farce, although it was good that senior management finally got their asses in gear and recognised that major problems existed. But customer pressure needs to be maintained and this initiative is potentially vital.

Jan 6, 2014
Happy to be involved but only listen to commentaries for away games which I am not attending so the next time I access the service will be the Burnley game (bad fan but it's just too far - and a shithole!). If you keep this going then great! I think it's an excellent idea. :thumbsup:

Samsung S III GT-I9300
Version 4.1.2

As a point of interest, can you get commentary via the App?

If I read the FL app blurb correctly, this should only work on 4.2 or above.

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
A good initiative, thanks a lot for taking this up. While I have seen improvements on PC/Mac streaming, I am still not getting commentary through the Android App (which I will again be attempting to use this weekend). It always shows the previous match in the "Live Matches" section, so I can't even get text commentary!

Mobile supplier: Google/LG
Mobile Device: Nexus 4
Software Version: 4.4.2

I have cancelled my Subscription which takes effect at the end of the season and won't be renewing if they can't sort this out as this is a key feature for me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As a point of interest, can you get commentary via the App?

If I read the FL app blurb correctly, this should only work on 4.2 or above.

I access it through the club site rather rhan rhe FL app. It's bookmarked and gives easy access (or should) to the commentary and highlights.
I have no problems with bbc radio, tv or movies - just this f-@**!g miserable apology for a commentary service :lolol:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Should have bought Apple #smug

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I know this service, you will be moaning like mad within 6 games whatever platform you are on that it was stopped working because the moon is in the wrong orbit or venus's alignement with Mars has affected the Perform server.

Guarenteed.

Me, moan?

Sorry, my comment was a bit crass. I was most disappointed when Player was shithouse on my Ipad a few weeks back. I take it back.

Jan 6, 2014
Me, moan?

Sorry, my comment was a bit crass. I was most disappointed when Player was shithouse on my Ipad a few weeks back. I take it back.

Not a problem.

There were complaints from IOS users after / during the Reading game that

The App commentary started late
The App commentary cut out

I'd agree it's the Android users moaning most though.

Jan 6, 2014
For PC users
Often, Perform will try and say 'The issue is your end' when the commentary cuts out

A simple test (well, simple enough) to counter this is as follows :

Click Start (the windows icon normally in the bottom left of your PC)
In 'search programs and files' type CMD (command prompt)
A little black box will apper on screen
type Ping google.co.uk -tThis will then will poll google constantly - If the screen says 'Reply from 172.xx etc and a time against it (E,g 24ms) you definately have Internet connectivity and the problem is NOT your end
If the black screen says 'No reply' or 'Lost in transit' or 'timeout', likelihood is an issue your end (or the unlikely scenario that player and google stop working at the same time), then your internet is down.

You can leave this running during the game in the background as a check where the connectivity issue is.

To stop this at any time, Press CTRL -C or close the Command prompt

Happy to look at any screen dumps if there is any confusion.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
iPhone 5

App commentary started about a minute into the game. Which is the earliest it's managed. No build up though. No breaks in commentary so far.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Samsung
S4
Software Version - 4.3
Football League app, it's unworkable on Chrome, the club website breaks my browser
I have the latest version

This has happened all season, it says it has failed to connect to club feed. I am cancelling my subscription after this year as I am going to be in the US for the majority of the time with only my phone as a solid internet base for a long time. It's not worth the money for something that doesn't work anymore.

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
A good initiative, thanks a lot for taking this up. While I have seen improvements on PC/Mac streaming, I am still not getting commentary through the Android App (which I will again be attempting to use this weekend). It always shows the previous match in the "Live Matches" section, so I can't even get text commentary!

Mobile supplier: Google/LG
Mobile Device: Nexus 4
Software Version: 4.4.2

I have cancelled my Subscription which takes effect at the end of the season and won't be renewing if they can't sort this out as this is a key feature for me.

Success! The Android app is working fine for me today, listened to the first half and first 15 of second while out and about. Very happy. Long may it continue.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Kept cutting in and out. I was trying to listen via an Ap on my iPhone, which kept cutting out if someone texted me, so had to keep logging back in, then with 10 mins to go, I got a message that I had failed to log in correctly too many times so got blocked for the rest of the match. I now have to contact them, to reset my password? Very fed up, I've complained so many times. Player is so terrible but if you don't live in Sussex there is no alternative. :-(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here