Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - what would you have done?

What would you do with a problem like Ashley?

• "Do a Murray" - let the contract run out, leaving him free to walk away

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Sold him to the highest bidder now-ish, cash in whilst you can

Votes: 234 86.7%
  • Keep offering him higher wages until he stayed, aka "Do a Pompey"

Votes: 20 7.4%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's a lot of differing opinions on what the club should have done with Ashley Barnes.

What would you have done?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No idea why Eddie Howe chose Burnley. No idea why Kurt Nogan chose Burnley. No idea why Ashley Barnes chose Burnley.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, we'd had to have offered him some wage increase to take us into Pompey territory

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If we had already got ourselves a good replacement sorted then I would reluctantly let him go. If however we didn't have a replacement I'd perhaps hang on until the summer and sacrifice the fee, it might seem wasteful but it does seem foolish gifting a player to a direct promotion rival.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hard to tell, as it does depend on what he was offered. If #3 represented a worthy offer, then obviously "doing a Pompey" is a harsh description.

However, if we're trusting the people running the club to do so properly, then reluctantly the answer has to be to cash in, but in my case, with a heavy heart.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sprayed him in gold and hold him aloft for all to see that greed and beauty can live together in harmony,then employ him in the massage parlour of the falmer hotel and wedding venue!

Men giving massages to other men!?! You've gotta be shittin' me Private Pyle! Drop and give me twenty!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Got off his back for a start - why so many people whinge about him constantly for not being a combination of Best/Pele/di Steffino/Cruyff/Henry/Ronaldo/Messi etc etc I have no idea - if he was a bit more loved he might want to stay - but why bother if all he gets is grief - no wonder he's pissed off with the place.

But if he wants to go, then sell him so long as we can get a FIT replacement. Too many strikers have been sick notes recently.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Answer is #3, but with a cap on how much we would cough up. I believe there would have been a figure acceptable to both club and player if there'd been a little more discussion.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's a step though, isn't it? Ignore your own pay structure and internal valuations.
Doesn't work though - all that happens is you get a load of has-beens and never-wills on even more ludicrous salaries than normal, and still implode (didn't we try this in the 1980s after we were relegated from the first division?)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My gut instinct would be to have kept him and let the contract run out, as I currently feel he is too valuable to the team. I say that without knowing who is available to replace him and how much the state of our finances has influenced the decision to sell.

Even though I would keep him, I fully trust the decision makers at the club and support their decision to do what they thought best.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Exactly what they've done, sell him to the highest bidder. Barnes is a competent Championship player. If you let yourself overpay on wages for those players you're a mug. Save the real money for the big stars.

He will do well, but he isn't Premiership class, and we need that if we are to progress, so right thing to let him go and get some fresh blood in.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've said 3, because we should have offered him a better contract and tried to keep hold of him. However, not to the point that his wages become ridiculous like what Pompey did.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here