Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes was he our Dean Saunders?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
he hasn't put his moniker to a contract on the table, he can go for nothing in the summer, think he has made his feelings perfectly clear. Who's Jose Alloa, btw ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
he hasn't put his moniker to a contract on the table, he can go for nothing in the summer, think he has made his feelings perfectly clear. Who's Jose Alloa, btw ?

Are we valuing him enough then with our offer?

This is an unanswered question.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
How anyone can compare Dean Saunders with Ashley Barnes is beyond me...I seriously doubt Barnes will go on to play for two top six prem(div1) sides. Which is what Liverpool and Villa were at the time(yes I know he went to Oxford and Derby before that).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assuming we get 1 million for Ashley he'd have to be sold on for about 160 million for the figures to equal the difference in what we received and what Saunders was ventually sold on for. 60k became 1 million a year or so late :smile:

how anyone can compare dean saunders with ashley barnes is beyond me...i seriously doubt barnes will go on to play for two top six prem(div1) sides. Which is what liverpool and villa were at the time(yes i know he went to oxford and derby before that).

i'm afraid i operate in a place that is beyond you sir! I'M GLAD YOU NOTICED THAT:moo:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
How anyone can compare Dean Saunders with Ashley Barnes is beyond me...I seriously doubt Barnes will go on to play for two top six prem(div1) sides. Which is what Liverpool and Villa were at the time(yes I know he went to Oxford and Derby before that).

Ridiculous statement - Saunders is in a different class than Barnes, i personally think we have got a very good deal for a very average Champ striker who blows hot and cold

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Strikers often get to a certain point in their career where it all suddenly clicks. Barnes has shown enough quality to me to suggest this could happen to him as he reaches 26+ years old.

CMS was playing non-league football up to the age Barnes is now. Yet Barnes is showing his worth as a young player putting in consistent (if not always spectacular) performances in the Championship over the past 3 sesasons.

I guess we'll have to trust the coaches and scouts within the club that our contract valuation for him is right, because I genuinely feel he's eventually going to be a very very good player.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Posting nonsense again. Saunders being sold was a crime at the time, but we were desperate for the money even though it was clear to everyone that he was a rising star.

Barnes is an average Championship player, nothing more. To compare him to Saunders is complete and utter nonsense.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is history repeating itself with the sale of Ashley Barnes getting sold off cheap,recall how this happened to Dean Saunders who then went on multi million pound deals and playing abroad and things like that! Its all happening again, could Jose Alloa be our Richard Tiltman:moo:

Prat

(sorry)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought we sold Saunders to avoid going bust - didn't we owe the tax man or the bank at the time? Also Saunders went to a higher standard at the time.

I think Beeney went to Leeds to pay a tax bill (or something similar as well).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here