Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From april 1979 how many still attend the albion games?

Although hard to measure out of the 26,000+ that attended our last league game in 1979 how many would have attended say the Bournemouth game?

Similar crowds but what would be the percentage still attending after those 34 years.Would be interesting to see peoples view on such numbers.
This is nothing to do with jcl's and this blokes a better fan than that bloke,just really interested tbh.

I would pitch in with a figure of 7,000 is it more or less?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I was at both games. If my memory serves me right we thrashed Man City 4-1 in 1979 with Gerry Ryan scoring a cracker.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My first ever match was the home defeat to Norwich in 1979 :wave:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good question.

7,000 seems like a decent starting point - probably on the high side?

How many of the Bournemouth 28,000 were mid-40s+ and lifelong Albion fans?

+1 here

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bit of an odd thread - a lot of people who watched us in April 79 won't be around any more! I think anyone who followed us in the late 70s would have the Albion in their blood -the most exciting period of the club's history, so most must surely still be fans. How many still attend games is anyone's guess - people die, move away, lose interest, can't afford it anymore, etc etc. Baring in mind most fans who watched us in 79 would now be well into their middle age or older, you can automatically discount a big proportion of the Amex attendance.

bit of an odd thread - a lot of people who watched us in april 79 won't be around any more! I think anyone who followed us in the late 70s would have the albion in their blood -the most exciting period of the club's history, so most must surely still be fans. How many still attend games is anyone's guess - people die, move away, lose interest, can't afford it anymore, etc etc. Baring in mind most fans who watched us in 79 would now be well into their middle age or older, you can automatically discount a big proportion of the amex attendance.

lots of fans not with us but how many still are?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
and 4-1 in 81 and 4-0 in 83:wink:

They were our whipping boys. One of those games that was 4-1 could have been about 10-1. I was at Maine Road when they beat us 4-0, though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
lots of fans not with us but how many still are?

One way to estimate it is to ask what proportion of our support is, say, 40 plus - and how many of them have been lifelong fans.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
According to the Croydon trolls-none, because our fan base is only three years old.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Bit of an odd thread - a lot of people who watched us in April 79 won't be around any more! I think anyone who followed us in the late 70s would have the Albion in their blood -the most exciting period of the club's history, so most must surely still be fans. How many still attend games is anyone's guess - people die, move away, lose interest, can't afford it anymore, etc etc. Baring in mind most fans who watched us in 79 would now be well into their middle age or older, you can automatically discount a big proportion of the Amex attendance.

TBH, I'm going to assume the dead ones didn't go to this match.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good question.

7,000 seems like a decent starting point - probably on the high side?

How many of the Bournemouth 28,000 were mid-40s+ and lifelong Albion fans?

+1 here

Possibly A lot of lifelong fans who deserted the club after the good times, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here