Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Ashley Barnes leaves how will he be remembered?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So according to The Argus, Barnes was offered a new contract a while ago but has not signed it. It now leaves the Albion in a position where they have to think with a business head and look to cash in or risk losing him on a free.

To me, that is just something which happens in modern football.

I can imagine though, plenty of Albion fans not particularly being impressed by this. Think back to the likes of Dean Hammond and Dan Harding.

On the pitch he has been much-maligned and underappreciated in some quarters. I was never his biggest fan but admit to have been won round over the course of the last half a season or so. When he plays centre forward, I think he is pretty useful - if not in the same league as Leo Ulloa.

His goal-scoring record is good. He has played a part in some very successful and exciting seasons at the Albion and always worked hard and been happy to play in less favoured positions.

But on the flip side, his petulance cost the Albion last season.

So, if he goes as looks increasingly likely, how WILL he be remembered by the Albion fans?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As a beautiful, beautiful man and a very considerate lover.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
As someone that tripped a referee up............ Priceless.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Marmite_500g_450_tcm28-293449.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of my favourite Albion players of the last 10 years. 100% effort every time he plays, often with jeers and abuse directed at him until recently.

A player who has improved massively year on year, a sad loss, he will do well wherever he goes. Might even get to be a crowd favourite.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite clearly, when the revolution comes his head will be on a stake between Poyet's and Murray's.

Nope Poyet's head rolls with him on the platform ALONE :rolleyes:

Neither Murray or Barnes have detailed this club

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
As a good hard-working and effective player for us who had to put up with a load of abuse from a lot of idiots.

I like Ashley Barnes and I hope he stays. However should he go I wish him well. It maybe that in the long run he does not see him self being part of our 'master plan' if we achieve our Premier league goal, so a move elsewhere may prove better for his career. As much as I am a Barnes fan I can see him being replaced SHOULD we ever manage to get ourselves promoted.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
When his head was right, he was unplayable.

Given a fair chance with us, probably hasn't progressed as much (at this stage) as the coaching staff required. Not to say he won't improve elsewhere, but sometimes a change of club works wonders.

I wish him well, except against us!

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
One of my favourite Albion players of the last 10 years. 100% effort every time he plays, often with jeers and abuse directed at him until recently.

A player who has improved massively year on year, a sad loss, he will do well wherever he goes. Might even get to be a crowd favourite.

Funnily enough, he divided opinion at Plymouth too (according to my sister's now ex boyfriend who's a big Plymouth fan). He can't stand him.

If he does go, I will remember him fondly - good player on his day and definitely one to put in a shift. Shame he is/was prone to petulance - he'll be very good if he can maintain his better attitude.

I'll be sorry to see him go (if he does)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Firstly, as I said in the other Barnes thread, that he has a contract offer and hasn't signed isn't news. It's been referenced all through the season, and it is precisely why some people have said he should go.

Secondly, that business head has to balance what they will lose from the playing side as well as the finance. Would you rather keep a player who provides goals (on course for 10) assists (on course for 7) and all round game play that benefits the team to play a part in getting us to the promised land with the reward of 100+m but miss out on 750k - 1m for a player, or take 1m now and miss out on the goals, assists, defensive work that leads to us finishing 7th or lower? How would we have fared if we sold Murray in the January before his contract was up? Probably not a fair comparison given how dominant we were that year, but still, would probably have taken us a little longer to secure promotion, maybe we might have slipped down into the play offs, and had an off day. It's all hypothetical, but should show how it isn't simply a matter of what transfer fee we can get now v in the summer.

Thirdly, dean and Dan were brighton kids, they came through our system and were seen as regular starters, we bought Ashley and if everyone is fit there's doubt he'd make the starting eleven, so they're not particularly comparable.

There's also the point that one of them (I forget which one) made demands that the club met and then signed for someone else. Also neither were particularly complimentary when they left.

For most fans, then, how Barnes acts after leaving will determine how fondly he is remembered. If he comes out complaining about brighton, brighton fans, scores against us and celebrates fervently, I could see a few sensitive souls turning against him ignoring the abuse he has suffered while one of us and the justification he would have for being so jubilant. If he is respectful, most will remember him fondly.

Of course, there are plenty of fans who have never taken to him, some who will claim they never hated him, who will criticise him for the things they won't criticise other players for (I.e. Trying to negotiate the best deal for himself and his family, taking his time to think about an offer), and will focus on his negatives, but I think most will remember him with respect and gratitude for his contribution during his time with us.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As a ridiculously over-used marketing tool for Marmite.

An under-rated, under-appreciated, hard-working footballer who will forever be associated as having played a massive part in arguably one of our best seasons ever, including scoring the goal that sealed promotion.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
At times he was brilliant. Blackpool last year was one of the best CF displays i had seen for a long time.
Other times finishing was slightly wayward but always 100% effort applied without fail whether he was having a mare or playing a blinder.
I will miss him if he goes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here