Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Double barrel names

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've noticed these are seem to be appearing more. My family had one, but my grandfather got rid of it. Do you have one? If so why? And what happens further down the line....triple barrel names?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Obvious reason is increase in unmarried couples having children and choosing to go double-barrelled for the child's surname...

Friends of mine did this - and then when they subsequently got married they dropped the second barrel from their kids' surnames.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Where I worked a little while ago, we had a customer whose surname was Hyphen-Hyphen, it must have been done by deed poll.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A lot of people are doing it when they get married now rather than the woman taking on the man's name. I'd have thought the Spanish system makes more sense, though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Obvious reason is increase in unmarried couples having children and choosing to go double-barrelled for the child's surname...

Yep. And there's been an increase in unmarried couples having kids, hence the increase in instances. I speak from experience, my kids have a double-barrelled surname

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hate them and would have changed my name if I had been given one of those. The tripled barreled ones are just snobbishness.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I hate them and would have changed my name if I had been given one of those. The tripled barreled ones are just snobbishness.

Yeah, double barreled is OK, but triple is always so darn posh.

They're always, Margo Stempford-Harrington-Price or such like.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know at least three men who've added their partner's surname on to their own when they got married.

(Two married to women, the other a civil partnership with another guy). There have been a couple of footballers who've taken their wives' names too, one was Ian Thomas-Moore & I forget the other.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Additionally, two in our first team squad, & I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple in the DS too.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It's not really relevant to this but my middle name is my mother's maiden name. It has often been done in our family and I think it's nice - it keeps a woman's name alive for one more generation at least.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Getting married in July and did think about it, but we both have the same surname already so it would be a bit stupid really :moo:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I have one because of my dad being a Spaniard.

I HATED it as a kid because of the kind of English attitude towards double barreled names that Dougdeep so eloquently expressed.

I've grown up now though so it's not a problem.

It's not a name that is spelt easily either. Plus, my parents have called me by my middle name all my life.

I stubbornly used the shortened version of my middle name and only the first part of my surname for years which sometimes caused issues with official stuff, but, it's all been made worth it by the fact when that video plays at the Amex before the teams come out, my name is shouted out by one of the commentators on it. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here