Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

buying computers in the usa

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Hi good people of NSC

my laptop of a few years is dying; so I need a new one.

going to states in 5 weeks is it worth buying it in good 'ol USA?

do not mind if pc or mac, but just want opinions on any problems buying there; I know international warrantee should not b a problem but what about software, keyboard etc

thanking you all in advance

x

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not sure if its worth it these days, you're save a bit of VAT but thats about it...

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Check out the sales tax where you are going, and work out the cost with that added on top. Compare that to buying in the UK. If you can put your UK purchase through a business and claim back the VAT you'll probably be better off buying it in the UK.

US keyboard is a bit of a pain if you're used to a UK one, and if you go from US to UK keyboard regularly (e.g. if you have a desktop as well) then it's probably more effort than it's worth.

Apart from that the only other thing is the US power plug, for which you'll need an adaptor or UK-based replacement. Depending on what you buy this could be a £10 replacement plug or a £90 replacement power supply.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Generally cheaper; no “£” symbol on keyboard which is a pain; watch out with warranties as I think there are a few companies who only give you a 6 month guarantee instead of the usual year; as well as the power plug you will also need an adaptor before you can plug into the BT socket in the UK. I believe there are stores in NYC which sell computers already set up for UK consumers.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Hi good people of NSC

my laptop of a few years is dying; so I need a new one.

going to states in 5 weeks is it worth buying it in good 'ol USA?

do not mind if pc or mac, but just want opinions on any problems buying there; I know international warrantee should not b a problem but what about software, keyboard etc

thanking you all in advance

x

Don't do it as you will get no after sales. I bought an iPod and appleuk refused to support me.

Dec 29, 2011
Not worth it for the reasons mentioned. It'll be more hassle than it's worth. If you have it for 4 years and save £100 that's only £25/ a year for the inconvenience of always needed an adaptor and having to use an American keyboard.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Would you have to pay duty on it coming back to the UK?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A top MacBook Air will cost you about £250 less in the States than in the UK. What you do at UK customs is up to you...

Apple will give you full service as if it were a UK machine.

The keyboard is a non-issue - the £ is still where you expect it to be - it's just not printed on the key itself. Anyone who uses a keyboard more than 10 minutes a day will not be searching by eye for what they want to type.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here