Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you over drinking ?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
:eek: The government advises that people should not regularly drink more than the daily unit guidelines of 3-4 units of alcohol for men (equivalent to a large (250ml) glass of 13% wine) and 2-3 units of alcohol for women (equivalent to a 175ml glass of 13% wine). ‘Regularly’ means drinking every day or most days of the week.

A large glass of 13% wine puts a woman over the daily guidelines. Another small glass (125ml) will put men over the guidelines

Not a lot to go over the limit.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Hi am as jober as a sudge.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Not now I don't, but used to drink 10-12 pts probably 5times a week. Don't drink much at all now & not been in the local for over 6 months

scooter1

How soon is now?
It's all about a semblance of moderation. I drink every day, but rarely to massive excess and never binge.
This whole dryathon business where people abstain for a month actually isn't very good for you if the first thing you do on the 32nd day is go out and get twatted.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I do regularly. Pub 4 times a week and have 5+ pints of cider. Football days are heavy ones, can do 12-13 pints over the course of the day.

I had a scare on Boxing Day when I realised that apart from the milk I put on my Rice Krispies in the morning on Xmas day all I drank was either Strongbow or Cava.

So now I'm trying to cut down, only had one session since Saturday. Coupled with my attempt tomorrow to stop smoking I can see me being very tetchy for a while.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
It's all about a semblance of moderation. I drink every day, but rarely to massive excess and never binge.
This whole dryathon business where people abstain for a month actually isn't very good for you if the first thing you do on the 32nd day is go out and get twatted.

But imagine when you do get twatted...how buzzed you'll be and how much quicker you'll get drunk :drool::drool::drink::cheers:

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do regularly. Pub 4 times a week and have 5+ pints of cider. Football days are heavy ones, can do 12-13 pints over the course of the day.

I had a scare on Boxing Day when I realised that apart from the milk I put on my Rice Krispies in the morning on Xmas day all I drank was either Strongbow or Cava.

So now I'm trying to cut down, only had one session since Saturday. Coupled with my attempt tomorrow to stop smoking I can see me being very tetchy for a while.

I believe the way forward is to start with Football days : Reduce to maybe 3 cans of Tizer and/or a flask of Bovril. After all, a marathon begins with a single step.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes.

I'm not doing Dryathon (or whatever it is called), but haven't drunk since NYE.

I suffered (suffer?) from depression and feel tired enough with suspected sleep apnoea without complicating things with drinking too much.

Half/whole bottle of wine a night and the odd blow out at the weekend, but not every weekend.

We'll see how it goes.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Yep, probably!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think I drank every day in December, rarely to the point of real drunkenness, but enough to make me sluggish and a bit too jowly. I haven't touched a drop so far this year and maybe will last the month without booze. Sometimes I just like to remind myself that I don't NEED alcohol, much as I enjoy it, and I lose a few pounds in the process.

Those government guidelines, by the way, are entirely made up. Nobody knows for certain what the safe level for alcohol is. The advice varies from country to country, despite health departments having access to the same scientific data. Safe alcohol intake also varies according the individual and their circumstances.

The government, probably rightly, feels it has to issue some sort of safe drinking advice. But the figures they use are pretty well plucked out of thin air - and I've been told as much by some well-placed sources.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I will have a drink most nights, but only small amounts (a pint of beer, or a southern comfort & coke or two) but rarely more than that. I can't remember the last time i had a 'session' as it were.

Like Barrel of Fun i suffer with depression, so i try and limit my drinking as i could go on a binge if i feel that way inclined.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I hardly drink at all during the week . I work evenings, so going out is difficult, plus I'm not that much of a home drinker.

I guess I catch up during the weekend though. Football Saturdays can be heavy ones ,as I also go out Saturday night. Plus then I like to go to pubs on a Sunday.

I would like to cut down the weekend drinking, as I have depression too, so hangovers are nasty. Though its difficult ,as being single I don't like being stuck at home at the weekends.

D

Deleted member 18477

Never drink in the week and never drink at home.

When I go out I'll either have a couple of pints or if on a session have about 10 pints+

Basically I'm a binge drinker but limit a binge probably to twice a month...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If I don't drink, the temptation is never there to buy and use cocaine. I went 18 months without an alcoholic drink until last September because of my medication. Now socially I drink a bit - it's nice but I try and avoid my druggie mates because I don't want to end up a paranoid, reckless mess again.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I come from a long line of problem drinkers - and another line of nutjobs given to self-medication. Never drink more than 2 days in a row, though when my drinking boots are on can binge with the best of them. Rest of the family wonder how I didn't get "the drinking gene" but its more that many years ago I had a 3 day bender, woke up the 4th day and reached for a bottle before a small voice pointed out if I drank that I'd be on a parkbench by the end of the week.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Over drank for about 25 years - 100 or so units a week - but thankfully the liver function tests came back as 'normal'. Bit of a relief really. Now only have 3-4 glasses of wine / beer a week, except Amex days which are still a bit of a binge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here