Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermaine Defoe to join Toronto FC....

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
So definitely not going to Brazil with England then!

Money > Football for Defoe.

If I had a chance to play for the World Cup, even an outside one, I wouldn't move myself out of the running! He can't complain much about wages either, what he's on now isn't exactly low.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Sadly says that money is all rather than wanting a chance to play regular top-flight football and force himself into the world cup squad. If Spurs are making him available I can think of at least half the teams in the PL who are crying out for a proven top-flight goalscorer, not just those in the bottom half either. Sad end to a career that promised much more

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't think I would watch any soccer if I lived in Toronto. Ice hockey would be my sport of choice for residing in Canada.

One's a winter sport, one's played in summer. It is possible to do both. Plus you get to watch The Jays. Maybe I should move back...

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
So definitely not going to Brazil with England then!

It could even work in his favour, he will be match fit as the season runs during the summer. Robbie Keane manages to play in the MLS as well as play for Ireland.

I guess playing week in week out and scoring goals for Toronto gives him more chance of playing than off the bench and Europa league games for spurs...

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
There is talk of him being loaned back to either spurs or QPR until the season starts in march too!

Surely west ham should be asking the questions about Defoe until March!?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly says that money is all rather than wanting a chance to play regular top-flight football and force himself into the world cup squad. If Spurs are making him available I can think of at least half the teams in the PL who are crying out for a proven top-flight goalscorer, not just those in the bottom half either. Sad end to a career that promised much more

It's odd that Sherwood has come in and " Re-vitalised " the Spurs squad by giving chances to those previously on the sidelines.... except for Defoe ? He is a proven striker who seemed quick as ever when banging the goals in in the Europa League yet after a 3 weeks of Sherwood he is not only no good for Spurs he seems not good enough for the Premiership too. It's all very odd.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Toronto is a lovely city as well. Quality of life might have something to do with - as well as the wages, obviously - if he is looking to settle down.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I always wonder with Defoe, given that he is a proven goal-scorer that everyone wants, people do not fall over themselves to sign him. Spurs let him go first time easily, left Pompey quite quickly, Spurs are not scoring but won't keep him, what is there about him that we don't know - is he trouble to manage ?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I always wonder with Defoe, given that he is a proven goal-scorer that everyone wants, people do not fall over themselves to sign him. Spurs let him go first time easily, left Pompey quite quickly, Spurs are not scoring but won't keep him, what is there about him that we don't know - is he trouble to manage ?

If you give him the ball in the box chances are he'll get the shot away and on target if not score. I think one of the main problems that managers seem to have with him is that he needs a strike partner to really be effective, but the traditional 4-4-2 big man little man combo is dying out (certainly at the highest levels)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here