Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ye Olde Football Rattle - Any Football Historians?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brought from a Brighton charity shop 17 years ago. Guesses on the age of it range from pre-Henry VIII right through to 1957. Anyone any idea? I'd go for the 1940s myself. It is SO loud that it would solve the Amex atmosphere problems on its own (although you'd need to be in a stand of your own to avoid annoying those seated around you).

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We need these at the Amex!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Story goes that they became popular after WW2 when they became obsolete as far as Air Raid Wardens were concerned. Likely yours is an original as, like others, I recall more modern day ones being made in the 50s and 60s in club colours.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
That looks like a late 19th, early 20th century bird scarer used on country estates to get the birds up during the annual peasant shoot.
Is there a makers name?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That looks like a late 19th, early 20th century bird scarer used on country estates to get the birds up during the annual peasant shoot.
Is there a makers name?

While you are here, who's the player in your avatar?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is there a makers name?

No identifying marks on it at all unfortunately. As I said above, it is stupidly loud. Although old, it is still very solid and in perfect working order.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No identifying marks on it at all unfortunately. As I said above, it is stupidly loud. Although old, it is still very solid and in perfect working order.

That's because as half time says its late Victorian/early Edwardian, they knew how to make stuff that worked and lasted. Any good antique shop would put you right.

There was a guy in the North Stand with a rattle the first two seasons at the Amex, I've not seen him this season though, he sat very close to Lord B.
He's moved seats to be closer to more agreeable neighbours. :)

Incidentally, I was a witness to his conversation with Richard Hebberd when we first started playing at the Amex and RH expressly gave him permission to use his rattle in the North Stand.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here