Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
New Year - New Thread

So as the first two weeks of January are traditionally the quiet period for eating out, why not pick over someone else's views;

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/edi...tons-top-ten-restaurants#.Us1XJnobCwQ.twitter

A few there I haven't tried, but also a few surprising omissions. I would push for both Casa Don Carlos and La Choza. As for the New Club, based on the description I won't be rushing to book that one. Anyone been and care to offer an opinion ? Surely this place is no match for the Coal Shed ?

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You can't have a ROTY thread without mentioning Trolls Pantry so here goes:

Went to the Hobgoblin to have another go today. I know he seems to have been in full-on psycho meltdown mode recently (see here), and I know we now have meatliquor, and burger bros, and I know that going on about how great burgers are is for hipster twats. But his are still the best around. And lovely fries too. Now served inside to your table at the Hobgoblin - which is nice.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Went to the Hobgoblin to have another go today. I know he seems to have been in full-on psycho meltdown mode recently (see here), and I know we now have meatliquor, and burger bros, and I know that going on about how great burgers are is for hipster twats. But his are still the best around. And lovely fries too. Now served inside to your table at the Hobgoblin - which is nice.

I really liked that blog post as it goes. I found it a little bit inspirational. I did eat at the Brunswick twice and I wasn't that impressed either time & I've been with him since the van at the back of the Blind Tiger Days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK let's do this again for another year.

Going to Frankie & Bennys tonight as Juniors choice as his "last supper" with us as away for 4 months from Tuesday.

I can tell you now what is will be like, not stunning but usually reasonable food so 7/10.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He might get out in 3 months with good behaviour

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Went to Gordon Ramsey's Union Street Cafe on Friday night. Very decent meal at lower prices than most of his places.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Silly me did not spot this was started. He won't come back early with good behaviour as his flight back is not till 18th may.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is a bit harsh.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Oki Nami - New Road.

Excellent dumplings & delicious local eel. And decent value as well. Good cocktails upstairs as well.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Stanmer House - frankly amazed me how good the new pub and restaurant company running it have turned it in to. Sunday lunch excellent, week day meal very good too and loads of choice. Well worth a visit and anyone who fancies walking their 4 legged friend and then aferwards sitting by an open fire with a pint with them sat on the floor will not be disappointed!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For splashing the cash for some top nosh, Graze Restaurant on Western Road is superb. The taster menu is expensive, but well worth it for a special occasion treat.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I missed the Brum game (bad fan, I know) to eat at Noma over the weekend; if anyone's at all interested, I'll post a review (hmmm, or maybe even start a blog and post a link)...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I missed the Brum game (bad fan, I know) to eat at Noma over the weekend; if anyone's at all interested, I'll post a review (hmmm, or maybe even start a blog and post a link)...

Talking of which I took the family to Sunday lunch at Yum Yum Ninja on their members deal. Technically just before Xmas 2013 but I'll stick it in 2014 thread. Good value with the member deal, excellent sashimi, incomplete range of beers, poor pork buns. Full review https://notaproperblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/family-food-review-1-yum-yum-ninja/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Reads a tad dry (next time drink) for my liking, maybe as it was lunchtime like at footy it would never 'sparkle' !? More vivid wow food descriptions would be interesting and we're all big enough to know the price

Thanks! I'll do some amendments....

Ta for the feedback.....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Two recommendations that I've recently encountered at very different ends of the price spectrum. Brighton Burger in the south Laines does a mean meat pattie for just four quid. 64 degrees, also in the south Laines, is extremely accomplished and innovative, and is alongside Chilli Pickle and The Cuthbert probably my favourite restaurant in Brighton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Two recommendations that I've recently encountered at very different ends of the price spectrum. Brighton Burger in the south Laines does a mean meat pattie for just four quid. 64 degrees, also in the south Laines, is extremely accomplished and innovative, and is alongside Chilli Pickle and The Cuthbert probably my favourite restaurant in Brighton.

Just wait until TIMMY (aka hove boring and unread) reads that post :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thought I'd start a blog. Noma review is first post. Feedback welcomed (be gentle guys, please!!)

http://lifetheuniverseandbha.wordpress.com/

Reads a tad dry (next time drink) for my liking, maybe as it was lunchtime like at footy it would never 'sparkle' !? More vivid wow food descriptions would be interesting and we're all big enough to know the price

While I agree with much of what Vegas says it's good that you've had a crack and I certainly get a feel for your day. In many ways it was like when I went to the Fat Duck. It was all very clever but the missus didn't like the salmon in liquorice and the whisky winegums were more w***ing than tasty course. Compared unfavourably to Quay in Sydney which was my best meal ever. The view was Opera House and Harbour Bridge but the food was simple local seafood followed by crisp duck washed down with a good strong red. Far more enjoyable food wise if you know what I mean. Same reason I prefer L'Eglise to Due South for example to pick two local places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here