Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hitzlsperger

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shame we did not sign him... he has just come out as gay!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Good on him but my initial reaction is it's a sad sign of the times that still, it's seen as such a big deal for a player to come out and the fact he also waited until his retirement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think that the debate about footballers coming out has hit a point whereby many (especially on here) are so indifferent to an individual player's sexuality that it might not cause the media storm at first feared. Of course, there will be trolls and other assorted numpties across social media who are ill-educated enough to feel their ignorance is worth expressing. The true test of the British media's behaviour will be when a Premiership player comes out, and an English one at that.

Are Brighton fans more tolerant of homosexuality because of the city's social reputation? Not sure. I'd like to think it's not relevant.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've always been a fan of Der Hammer and his traction engine of a left foot

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think that the debate about footballers coming out has hit a point whereby many (especially on here) are so indifferent to an individual player's sexuality that it might not cause the media storm at first feared. Of course, there will be trolls and other assorted numpties across social media who are ill-educated enough to feel their ignorance is worth expressing. The true test of the British media's behaviour will be when a Premiership player comes out, and an English one at that.

Are Brighton fans more tolerant of homosexuality because of the city's social reputation? Not sure. I'd like to think it's not relevant.

I wonder how many who laud their indifference on here will join in the chants when they happen at a game ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I loved the shot he had on him, still whenever someone goes for a long distance shot in a kick around, after the shot they will shout hitzlsperger, in the hope it goes it, rarely does, generally see the shot scuffed and role a yard.

Takes some guts to do, good on him.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've got to say I've not heard homophobic chanting among Brighton fans.

If you have, fair enough - maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

No I haven't and I wasn't even particularly thinking about our club. I just think it will happen when there starts to be openly gay players on the pitch - I don't think it's right, but I think it will happen.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
No I haven't and I wasn't even particularly thinking about our club. I just think it will happen when there starts to be openly gay players on the pitch - I don't think it's right, but I think it will happen.

To be honest, and it's a sad state of affairs, but I still think we're a long, long way from openly gay footballers in the English league. Just look at the abuse Brighton fans get almost every game (some of it from players!). I personally think that that has to stop before an active player would feel comfortable coming out

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

This, for me, is my worst fear - and the one I suspect holding most gay players back from coming out.

There is the spectre of a player, previously described in the press as 'a tenacious ball-player' to subsequently being referred to as 'a tenacious ball-player, who recently announced that he is gay...' as if that has any relevance. That would soon disappear after being considered pisspoor drivel-stained writing.

Some - the small minority - fans would consider a gay footballer as fair game as a target for their ignorance. It's a social problem that still has to run its course in the way racism did 20-25 years ago. Hopefully, the transition will be far less painful this time around.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think most fans of most clubs would react, individually, pretty much with the same indifference.

Even now there seems to be more made of celebrities coming out by media than their fans.

But football fans are also different. Individually, in discussion away from the pitch, we are usually a reasonable bunch. But when you throw in tribal rivalries, heat of the battle (things that don't exist, or no where near the same degree with music or film stars) in the middle of a crowd in the tens of thousands, a pack mentality can take over. And the "banter" will flow, and I think it would be naive to say it won't cross the line, where many of the types of people who would react as the people reacting reasonably on here would, find themselves joining in, getting caught up in the moment and not stopping to think how appropriate their chants are.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here