Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - oh dear.......

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Watched the Barca Celtic game at the Camp Nou a month or so ago and while Celtic got tonked, you could see some class in Virgil. Seems like we've missed out on a cracking player, but can't fault the club for sticking to budgets and not being held to ransom. Never mind!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is this what newspapers have come to in order to fill their pages?

Not only is there speculation and rumour, often based on a scattergun approach to second-guessing in the hope of getting claiming a scoop (even a stopped clock is right twice a day). Now we have a round-up of speculation and rumour, often based on a scattergun approach to second-guessing in the hope of getting claiming a scoop.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
He is playing in a poor team in a very poor league. Therefore any review should be tinged with a significant amount of caution. Having said that he is a stand out in that team. Not sure he is Premiership class though? I think Lewis Dunk is a better prospect. But then what do I know.
TNBA

TTF

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's only a "Strong Rumour"

© Superphil 2014

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
And the newspaper guessing columns get more coverage. What's the point? If it's in a tabloid (Scum, Mail, express, star, mirror etc) it's got a 10% chance of happening. If it's in the broadsheets I'd believe it more. This was from the Star.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And the newspaper guessing columns get more coverage. What's the point? If it's in a tabloid (Scum, Mail, express, star, mirror etc) it's got a 10% chance of happening. If it's in the broadsheets I'd believe it more. This was from the Star.

It's in the Telegraph

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You can't just break the wage budgets etc just to get one player, shame he didn't come here in the end but what can you do.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
without sounding arrogant, it's a bit of a pointless comment. We offered over £2 million and Groningen were refusing to sell him at any price because they needed him for their relegation campaign...Funnily enough, reminds me of a situation we have with one of our central midfielders now!

I wasn't being too serious. To my knowledge nobody has paid a penny for him yet. But as others have said it shows the sort of young players we are looking at these days.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I assumed Van Dijk wanted to play in the champions league. Say what you like about the quality of the mtl but it does at least guarantee Celtic a place in the annual snouts in the trough gravy train.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I got to speak to Gus once about Van Dijk - he said when they went to watch him in Holland he was "absoluterly unbeliebabble". Boring 0-0 draw but won everything in the air, both attacking and defending. He was more than just a little bit impressed and gutted that we couldn't afford him. But made no complaint about the price tag.

Dec 29, 2011
200k more and we could have got him, sold him on 1 or 2 years later for a few million profit then re-invested. I thought Bloom liked an investment.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Telegraph is just aggregating the rumours - the origin of this one is the Star

I liked the one about Palace trying to entice Tom Ince to Croydon :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here