Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solicitor recommendations.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Hi all

I'm in the the early stages of moving house, offer accepted on my property. I've been told to find a solicitor to begin proceedings, any recommendations?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hi all

I'm in the the early stages of moving house, offer accepted on my property. I've been told to find a solicitor to begin proceedings, any recommendations?
I used Edward Harte in the Steine. Probably not the cheapest but comfortingly thorough.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
image.jpg

Better call Saul.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I know this is a Brighton and Hove Albion website but when asking for recommendations like this it is best to give an area too focus on.

My Brother is a solicitor in Tonbridge sure his firm could help www.warners-solicitors.co.uk but no need to stay local the solicitors who handled my house purchase were based in Bucks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've heard it can be beneficial to use a solicitor from a cheaper area, location is not relevant, maybe try somewhere in the northeast. I heard this when my most recent move was handled by a local firm who were utter rubbish, gave me incorrect guidance that cost me even more money, and they were already very expensive. That's when I heard the suggestion of using a solicitor from elsewhere as it makes no difference to the procedures and processes required, but that it would save money, and being local is irrelevant.

I've not actually tried this but I most certainly will look into it next time I move

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
I guess it depends where you are based but if in West Sussex (Storrington/ Petworth / Billingshurst way) then Anderson, Longmore and Higham have always been very good. Try Chris Wise in the Storrington office

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies, I'm based is Hassocks, and the estate agents gave me 3 to contact to get quotes, 2 in burgess hill, both quoted around 2k and one in Hurstpierpoint who quoted 2.5k+. I also obtained quotes further a field in the midlands and up north and they were all around 1k cheaper.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I guess it depends where you are based but if in West Sussex (Storrington/ Petworth / Billingshurst way) then Anderson, Longmore and Higham have always been very good. Try Chris Wise in the Storrington office

They are the exact ones who totally failed to give me correct advice, costing me a fortune, IMO and experience, avoid with extreme caution. They offered totally inappropriate advice, just to make sure their deal went through on time to suit them, they do not give a hoot about their clients, just their payment.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
They are the exact ones who totally failed to give me correct advice, costing me a fortune, IMO and experience, avoid with extreme caution. They offered totally inappropriate advice, just to make sure their deal went through on time to suit them, they do not give a hoot about their clients, just their payment.

Very surprised as I've always used them and on the latest occasion they managed to get me rights over some additional areas that wasn't expected. Sorry to hear that the service to you was obviously poor, not what I've experienced in the past

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of my last 2 moves...

First - used one of the online conveyancing search engines to find a good price and selected one up in Liverpool somewhere. It was a complete pain as everything had to be posted in both directions and often when we'd call we could not get to speak to our solicitor.

So, on our recent move, we selected a very local solicitor. We could go and ask to see them if we had concerns and could hand deliver anything that needed returning so we knew when exactly it got there.

The latter was a far easier experience - I suspect some of the cheaper distance conveyancers know it is very unlikely you'll turn up on their doorstep and this may reduce the quality of the service they provide. In what can be a very stressful experience, I think it's worth paying a small amount extra to have someone local that you can see if required.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Thanks for the replies, I'm based is Hassocks, and the estate agents gave me 3 to contact to get quotes, 2 in burgess hill, both quoted around 2k and one in Hurstpierpoint who quoted 2.5k+. I also obtained quotes further a field in the midlands and up north and they were all around 1k cheaper.

well i obviously don't know how much the houses you are selling and buying are valued at, but those prices seem very steep to me for a bit of conveyancing especially if freehold

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Never use the estate agents recommendations. More often than not the estate agent is getting a kick back from the solicitor for the recommendation. It has nothing to do with how good the solicitor is. Generally you're paying for that kick back one way or another.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here