Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Oscar be THAT bothered if Bridcutt goes?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Let me start by saying that I am a huge Liam Bridcutt fan. However, he is everything that Gus Poyet represents in terms of footballing style; calm on the ball, slow build up, defensive minded etc...

None of those are negatives, but I think losing Bridcutt will allow the likes of Ince and Agustein to come into their own now and let Oscar play more of his style of football rather than attempting to fit Liam in when he's more suited to a slower build up. We've done alright without him recently.

If Oscar can get £3.5m+ for him, I don't think he'll lose too much sleep. Gutted he's going but onwards and upwards.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No-one wants to lose one of their better players but I'm sure he wouldn't be too upset provided he's allowed to spend some of the transfer fee.

This, basically.

I love Liam, but the time he had out injured under Oscar shows that he is not irreplaceable in the way we play, especially with the emergence of Rohan Ince.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has Oscar seen the best of Bridcutt to know what he could be missing? His being in the team would seem to indicate an awareness of his possible contribution, but Bridcutt's performances haven't really matched that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oscar is a manager who can identify potential in the younger players at the club , YaYa has more to offer in a team playing it the Oscar way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think everyone tacitly agrees to him moving on and no regrets at all. It's just the when, the how, and the how much. ........

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Bridcutt is a system player and that system is sit hold, patience, more patience, more sit hold, sideways pass, another sideways pass and more patience....And he is very good at what he does, in fact one of the best at this level. Will he be missed by Garcia???, I doubt it. Rohan Ince for his limited inexperience, has a far better passing range than Bridcutt, is much more dynamic and looks a real wrecking machine at times, along with Andrews and Crofts experience. I doubt Garcia is concerned in the slightest. After all, he has only had him for a handful of games anyway.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It will be sad to see him go but I think andrews can cover that 'sitting' role comfortably, and as I saw at reading, he always looks to play the ball forwards.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It will be sad to see him go but I think andrews can cover that 'sitting' role comfortably, and as I saw at reading, he always looks to play the ball forwards.

Andrews will be 34 in September , another Kishishev in the making ?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Has Oscar seen the best of Bridcutt to know what he could be missing? His being in the team would seem to indicate an awareness of his possible contribution, but Bridcutt's performances haven't really matched that.

When he has featured, he's been asked to play a role where, although he is primarily the holding midfielder, he rotates with other midfielders and takes turn attacking.

I've enjoyed seeing our midfield be more versatile and not monotonously keeping to the same system, yet I don't think he's the player to take that role long term anyway, even if he did stay.

As another poster has mentioned, he's very much a system player. Oscar's style suits players who like a bit more creative freedom.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Bridcutt is a system player and that system is sit hold, patience, more patience, more sit hold, sideways pass, another sideways pass and more patience....And he is very good at what he does, in fact one of the best at this level. Will he be missed by Garcia???, I doubt it. Rohan Ince for his limited inexperience, has a far better passing range than Bridcutt, is much more dynamic and looks a real wrecking machine at times, along with Andrews and Crofts experience. I doubt Garcia is concerned in the slightest. After all, he has only had him for a handful of games anyway.

Very much this.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gutted to be losing one of the best looking players ever to pull on a Brighton shirt outside of Orlandi, Vicente and Robert Codner. Life can be a real bitch sometimes.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
OG doesn't want to lose any player in this window if you hear the noises coming out from the club, but if Bridcutt is not happy and has put in a transfer request, then just sell him for the valuation price and be done with it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm not sure why Ince is cited so often as the heir to Bridders. I think he's an excellent player - they both are - but they do different jobs. Ince is quite powerful and looks to go forward. Bridcutt looks more nervous the nearer he gets to the opposition goal and is more of a "thinker". Perhaps he's our most intelligent player, at least in the way he reads the game.

What Bridcutt brings to the side is a confidence and calm authority that I wouldn't expect from Ince just yet. I guess that Oscar will be sad to see that lost from the squad, but I don't think he'll try to replace Bridcutt in a like-for-like capacity.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

if u add Andrews to that mix..i'd agree with that lot

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oscar will want to create his own team with its own style. The nucleus of the team is still very much Poyetesque.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He has to lose a few of the old guard to truly create his own team, so maybe not if he gets a decent cash injection for this window or in the summer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here