Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Obika

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder if we are still looking at him as a potential loan striker.

He scored six goals today for Spurs in a friendly with Charlton so would appear to be fit again.

Don't know much about him.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
6 goals is impressive. A few months ago most on here were against him signing. I dont really know enough about him to have an opinion.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Would be a good loan option for 2/3 months IMO. I'm assuming Lita has gone back? His loan was only till January right? That leaves us with only Barnes and Ulloa as strikers and CMS supposedly back end of this month, but none of us know when he'll be match fit..

A few month loan won't do us any harm, back up on the bench will be needed aswell as competition for places. This may also allow Oscar to play Ulloa and Barnes together which I suspect he'd be reluctant to do without backup on the bench. Experience for him too, I expect he'd get minutes off the bench a few games, and probably start the 4th Round FA Cup game.

Think its definitely worth a look for a while assuming it won't cost too much, plus we get a look if he's any good towards possibly signing him in the summer. All depends on what Spurs want I'd guess.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
To score 6 in a single game would surely suggest he's fit? Surely you couldn't trouble a back 4 that much if you weren't? Also another point, he's quite pacey isn't he? Something we don't have an option for upfront currently..

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I guess how impressive the six goals were depends on who else was in the Spurs team. They have quite a few decent midfielders etc who might be a bit too good for a Charlton 11...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I guess how impressive the six goals were depends on who else was in the Spurs team. They have quite a few decent midfielders etc who might be a bit too good for a Charlton 11...

Certainly not a weak Spurs team - Lewis Holtby, Erik Lamela, Nacer Chadli and Capoue all featured.

Spurs XI: Miles, Fredericks (Stewart 57), Smith, Capoue, Veljkovic, Fryers, Lamela (McEvoy 57), Holtby, Obika, Kane (Coulibaly 57), Chadli.

Should also be pointed out the score was Spurs 10-6 Charlton.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I asked a spurs friend a few months back about Obika when he was on the radar then. he knows his stuff spurs wise and said Obika could "do a job" championship wise but wasn't really prem class. From what he said it sounded that he could have been very useful for us when Ulloa was injured as he is apparently excellent at holding the ball up and setting up plays. He did add however that by now someone should have come in for Obika and that many clubs have looked at him and been unconvinced so there's clearly something in his play that people are unsure about.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Certainly not a weak Spurs team - Lewis Holtby, Erik Lamela, Nacer Chadli and Capoue all featured.

Spurs XI: Miles, Fredericks (Stewart 57), Smith, Capoue, Veljkovic, Fryers, Lamela (McEvoy 57), Holtby, Obika, Kane (Coulibaly 57), Chadli.

Should also be pointed out the score was Spurs 10-6 Charlton.

What no Grant Hall?....oh yeah he is on a season's loan to Swindon.......

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
My cousin (who played in that game) said he's looking very sharp atm. I think a loan would do him good, I'd bring him in as long as he's ok with sitting on the bench. Shame with Lita mind, I thought we could have used him well and really thought he'd still be with us. Just unlucky that we hit decent form when he was with us so wasn't able to get his chance.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Spurs just wore pants, Charlton were naked, but firm in the tackle

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The problem is if you play one up top, you're likely to only have 2 good strikers at once, as any others will not get the game time they want. We have 2.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oscar has already shown a willingness to play 2 strikers at once. I'm not sure he has the same 1 striker only fixation Gus had while here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here