Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bikram Yoga

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I play a lot of squash and do a fair amount of cycling and increasingly suffer from a lack of flexibility and aching after sport (most likely because I'm getting old...).

Try to stretch after squash regularly in the sauna, and after some recent neck trouble, I had some deep tissue massages which really helped, but it was suggested to try some Bikram Yoga.

Have any of the good people of NSC given this a go, and what were your experiences like? I'm 5 min walk from the one on Franklin Road in Portslade.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I play a lot of squash and do a fair amount of cycling and increasingly suffer from a lack of flexibility and aching after sport (most likely because I'm getting old...).

Try to stretch after squash regularly in the sauna, and after some recent neck trouble, I had some deep tissue massages which really helped, but it was suggested to try some Bikram Yoga.

Have any of the good people of NSC given this a go, and what were your experiences like? I'm 5 min walk from the one on Franklin Road in Portslade.

Its PROPER hard work, and you will think you are going to die in your first few sessions, but as part of a varied exercise and diet routine, you will see a lot of benefits

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Worth a try, although I've had mixed reports of the effects of the very hot atmosphere that Bikram is done in (risky if you've got heart or blood pressure problems apparently).
I've done Iyengar yoga for years though -- I'm in my late fifties, and do a lot of running, and I've never had a problem with knees, hips or back in my life. I recommend it. Ryan Giggs also does it, and has attributed some of his longevity in the game to yoga. See this article
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/dec/15/ryan-giggs-debt-to-yoga

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
The wife took this up a while back as she has back issues. Destroyed her for the first few sessions but became hooked very quickly after super fast results. Not only sorted her back out but also got very fit, flexible and toned. Great way to lose weight and boost self confidence.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

Been going to the one in Franklin Road on and off for a few years now.( tho' not at the moment)

Have really enjoyed it, it can become quite addictive, but it is insanely hard work, especially to start with.
Prob need to go 2-3 times a week to get the real benefits, and to make it easier on yourself. after just a couple of weeks you will be feeling and looking a load better.

It's obviously not for everyone, but would really recommend giving it a try, ( they do a great 30 day intro package too...)

Good Luck!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its PROPER hard work, and you will think you are going to die in your first few sessions, but as part of a varied exercise and diet routine, you will see a lot of benefits

Worth a try, although I've had mixed reports of the effects of the very hot atmosphere that Bikram is done in (risky if you've got heart or blood pressure problems apparently).
I've done Iyengar yoga for years though -- I'm in my late fifties, and do a lot of running, and I've never had a problem with knees, hips or back in my life. I recommend it. Ryan Giggs also does it, and has attributed some of his longevity in the game to yoga. See this article
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/dec/15/ryan-giggs-debt-to-yoga

The wife took this up a while back as she has back issues. Destroyed her for the first few sessions but became hooked very quickly after super fast results. Not only sorted her back out but also got very fit, flexible and toned. Great way to lose weight and boost self confidence.

My wife came out and was sick. My daughter in law loves it though.

Been going to the one in Franklin Road on and off for a few years now.( tho' not at the moment)

Have really enjoyed it, it can become quite addictive, but it is insanely hard work, especially to start with.
Prob need to go 2-3 times a week to get the real benefits, and to make it easier on yourself. after just a couple of weeks you will be feeling and looking a load better.

It's obviously not for everyone, but would really recommend giving it a try, ( they do a great 30 day intro package too...)

Good Luck!

Thank you for the helpful replies, I might just give this a go! :thumbsup:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
This was not created in India or from the Yoga tradition, and the creator has been known to dupe women into bed as a fake guru.

Really it's hot arobics and work out......still good for you.....and quite addictive for some.....but not really relaxing.

give me some hatha yoga over this any day.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This was not created in India or from the Yoga tradition, and the creator has been known to dupe women into bed as a fake guru.

Really it's hot arobics and work out......still good for you.....and quite addictive for some.....but not really relaxing.

give me some hatha yoga over this any day.

From what I've read and seen, I don't think there has been any effort been made to pretend otherwise hence it's named after it's creator Bikram Choudhury. I have no idea about his sex life however....:shrug:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, I've done a bit of it. It's a very good work out and totally exhausting. The only reservation I have is that the hot room is the ideal environment for bacteria, and there have been stories of people contracting nasty bugs.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
From what I've read and seen, I don't think there has been any effort been made to pretend otherwise hence it's named after it's creator Bikram Choudhury. I have no idea about his sex life however....:shrug:

Very seedy...
See him driving around in his Merc with all his bling hanging down, perving at the ladies, not very spiritual but just used to blank that thought and consider it as a good workout instead!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I know a couple of single women in their 30s/40s that do Bikram Yoga as it means they can put their legs behind their head, which is apparently a good chat-up line.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here