Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barker to Swindon, confirmed - undisc. fee

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Good luck to him - not really cut out for life here but perhaps at a lower level with regular game time he'll progress

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Remember Swindon fans saying Greer's move to us was a sideways move and now they're turning into BHA development squad lite.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he was 17 you might give him a prayer but he's 22 & has never even looked close to making the breakthrough.

We have an incredibly poor record of developing strikers at this club. Few go on to better things. Most seem to end up non-league by their mid twenties. See also Scott Ramsay, Chris McPhee, Joe Gatting, Jake Robinson (who I suppose at least carved some sort of league career, albeit always heading downwards) and many others.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks to be replacing Nile Ranger who apparently is about to be sacked

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All this money that's been invested in the new training facilities & Academy- wouldn't it be amazing if one day we actually developed a striker who went on to better things?

Or at least turned into a useful first team goalscorer. Just that would do me. I'm not greedy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Surprised we got a fee to be honest!!

'Undisclosed fee' does not mean a fee was paid. I seem to remember 'Insider' posting a few years back something to the effect that when we signed Stephen Thompson we didn't pay a fee for him, however it was 'undisclosed' because the selling club did not want their fans to find out that they had let their captain go for nothing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NAILED ON that we draw Swindon in the League Cup next season and he scores 2 to dump us out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We should all go on their forum complaining that it's a sideways move :dunce:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
'Undisclosed fee' does not mean a fee was paid. I seem to remember 'Insider' posting a few years back something to the effect that when we signed Stephen Thompson we didn't pay a fee for him, however it was 'undisclosed' because the selling club did not want their fans to find out that they had let their captain go for nothing.

Can't imagine that's the case this time though, most Brighton fans would be surprised that there is a fee and Swindon fans will have a weight of expectation as he actually cost money rather than taking a punt on a freebie.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yep. Good luck to the bloke. Just wasn't going to happen here. In the DS games I saw, he could score - but without looking dangerous. At 22 he really needed to stand out in that company, but he just didn't. I hope it all works out for him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think that's the idea!

Well, yes.

We can but hope. Bournemouth are a noddy little club but seem to have lucked out in recent years with young strikers, selling on Brett Pitman, Sam Vokes, Josh McQuoid and Danny Ings. Someone at that club knows how to teach kids to finish.

We, on the other hand, turn out endless solid central defenders. Handy, but less exciting.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Conversely the buying club doesn't want their fans to find out how much a player has initially cost if they were expecting to sign a freebie.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
All this money that's been invested in the new training facilities & Academy- wouldn't it be amazing if one day we actually developed a striker who went on to better things?

Or at least turned into a useful first team goalscorer. Just that would do me. I'm not greedy.

Perhaps its the hardest of all positions to develop and an extremely accountable position to boot.

Also maybe the most unlikely position to be given a benevolent opportunity, it is stacked against them from the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here