Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Proper Darts

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone been watching over the weekend??

Been a few fantastic games so far. Surprised to see Scotty 2 Hotty get knocked out but that just shows the strength in depth of the draw this year, no-one can be assured of a space in the 2nd Round.

Great win for Wolfie on Saturday, would love to see the England Captain roll back the years for another Lakeside title.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Proper darts? No 9 darters at the Lakeside BDO World Championship for 24 YEARS (!!) vs. two 9-darters in Round 1 of the PDC Worlds just this year. Jog on...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Proper darts? No 9 darters at the Lakeside BDO World Championship for 24 YEARS (!!) vs. two 9-darters in Round 1 of the PDC Worlds just this year. Jog on...

There are about 4 times as many games in the PDC as the BDO so plenty more opportunities. Granted the standard in the PDC overall is slightly higher but the true darts always were thr Embassy World Darts Championships at the Lakeside.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The true darts were the News of the World which has now been super seeded by the better proffesional game of the PDC rather than the pub standard BDO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are about 4 times as many games in the PDC as the BDO so plenty more opportunities. Granted the standard in the PDC overall is slightly higher but the true darts always were thr Embassy World Darts Championships at the Lakeside.

I believe there were 72 competitors in the PDC Worlds, so 71 matches in total including 8 prelims. There will be 31 matches at the BDO, so the figure's about twice as many, not 4 times. But then there are also 15 ladies matches too. Whatever way you dice it, 24 years without a 9 darter is piss-poor, that's c 1,100 matches and God knows how many legs.

It's also worth noting last year's Ladies Champion (Anastasia) won with a higher average than the losing Men's Finalist (Tony O'Shea).

Since Barney left in 2006 only one person has averaged more than 95 in the Final (Martin Adams).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I believe there were 72 competitors in the PDC Worlds, so 71 matches in total including 8 prelims. There will be 31 matches at the BDO, so the figure's about twice as many, not 4 times. But then there are also 15 ladies matches too. Whatever way you dice it, 24 years without a 9 darter is piss-poor, that's c 1,100 matches and God knows how many legs.

It's also worth noting last year's Ladies Champion (Anastasia) won with a higher average than the losing Men's Finalist (Tony O'Shea).

Since Barney left in 2006 only one person has averaged more than 95 in the Final (Martin Adams).

I am not arguing that the standard is slightly higher, there are still some top class playersin the BDO look at their record at the Grand Skam where they make up about an eighth of the field but have consistently produced players in the last 16/quarters/ semi's.

Still the lifeblood of the sport is the BDO and its good to watch darts where the audience are respectful and actually turn up to watch the darts.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I'm enjoying it. Unfortunately whilst watching the other night I had to give my missus a lift to the station. It was OK because on my return they were still on the same leg.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tony O'Shea against Martin Adams is worthy of being a final and yet they're meeting in the first round. Considering they're consistently good at Lakeside with their records, it's a shame one of the favourites will get knocked out so early on in the tournament.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Tony O'Shea against Martin Adams is worthy of being a final and yet they're meeting in the first round. Considering they're consistently good at Lakeside with their records, it's a shame one of the favourites will get knocked out so early on in the tournament.
Adam's currently ranked 36th and only there as an ex winner on invite ,so he was bound to draw a big seed.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Thats the point that everyone misses. The PDC have rigged it to ensure higher scoring.

Apparently the newer boards the BDO use are exactly the same sized trebles and doubles as PDC and the BDO have a bigger bull. Not that it really matters as most of the BDO struggle just to hit the big numbers itself let alone find a treble or double

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am not arguing that the standard is slightly higher, there are still some top class playersin the BDO look at their record at the Grand Skam where they make up about an eighth of the field but have consistently produced players in the last 16/quarters/ semi's.

Still the lifeblood of the sport is the BDO and its good to watch darts where the audience are respectful and actually turn up to watch the darts.

That's like saying there are still some top class players in League 1 that might be able to cut it at Premier League level.

And it's questionable as to whether the BDO can be regarded as the lifeblood of the sport. It used to be a conveyor belt of talent for the PDC but that seems to have dried up, and the BDO is left with mainly ageing players. Some of those guys have made the switch but are struggling - Hankey, John Henderson, Dean Winstanley. This is partly because of the massive increase in tournaments to be played and the higher standard. Once the PDC got rebuffed by the BDO they've improved their Qualifying School to create a better throughput of their own players.

Scott Waites has made a lifestyle choice to stay with the BDO and carry on as a carpenter. Martin Adams and Tony O'Shea have stayed too - playing county and international darts, being a big fish in a small pond will suit some, but let's not pretend the BDO is anywhere near the same level. The No.1 seed Stephen Bunting has earned less than £80K in prize money over the last 2 years from the BDO; that puts him No. 38 on the Money List. Throw in travel and accommodation costs and you'll see the best player is barely making a decent living.

I do agree with you about the audience though. The BDO crowd love their darts. On balance I'd still rather take the PDC crowd on the basis that they seem to spur the players on to greater heights, a good example of this being Peter "Snakebite" Wright, who was simply made for Barry Hearn and the PDC.

Jul 14, 2012
Is there a crowd for the BDO darts? Honestly, I hadn't realised, it's so tame there. The BDO is pub darts, the PDC is pro darts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here