Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hating this transfer window so far

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I always like to keep in the back of my head, short term pain,long term gain when it comes to the Albion.

Hopefull in the next few years we''ll see other clubs start to suffer due to the restirctions of the FFP system and that's when we start to stand out as one of the better ran clubs in football.

I live in hope, but I've had my doubts about whether FFP will work right from the start.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am getting more depressed about it by the day. We don't like doing business in January so I fear not many will be coming in, but looks like the out list is growing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Conway and Marie from Barcelona in, along with a new contract for Ince, and things will look much better.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I am getting more depressed about it by the day. We don't like doing business in January so I fear not many will be coming in, but looks like the out list is growing.

Far from getting depressed about it I'm finding it interesting myself, Forget this not liking doing business in January as it's a different ball game now. Oscar has had half a season working with a squad he largely inherited and it stands to reason he was going to want to make changes so he can start to mould his own team, If it means losing a few popular players in the process then so be it but I'm convinced we'll come out stronger in the end.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I guess this is the start of the Oscar overhaul of the team. This time was always coming. Wonder if we can sustain a promotion charge though?

It would be if we were seeing a major influx from Barca or Tel Aviv etc - but they are just long shot rumours so far. Maybe all will come good, but serious rebuilding is the job for the summer. We don't do business in Jan really and I doubt that will change this year unless we have to to replace players. I have a memory that Tony Bloom is in Australia in January each year anyway so that can't help.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Far from getting depressed about it I'm finding it interesting myself, Forget this not liking doing business in January as it's a different ball game now. Oscar has had half a season working with a squad he largely inherited and it stands to reason he was going to want to make changes so he can start to mould his own team, If it means losing a few popular players in the process then so be it but I'm convinced we'll come out stronger in the end.

Hope you are right, but as I said in the other post, I think that is a summer a job not a January one

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I would be happy to see Oscar mould his own team and that I might see happening when we sign someone who you can truly say that was a player that Oscar told the club he wanted and to go get them. I struggle to point to any signing since his arrival and can truly say, that was an Oscar signing. Until that happens I am not sure we will ever have a true Oscar team.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I would be happy to see Oscar mould his own team and that I might see happening when we sign someone who you can truly say that was a player that Oscar told the club he wanted and to go get them. I struggle to point to any signing since his arrival and can truly say, that was an Oscar signing. Until that happens I am not sure we will ever have a true Oscar team.

It's been said many times by the club that Oscar has the final say on all transfers but I guess until we sign a player from Barca or Tel Aviv then some people are never going to believe it.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It's been said many times by the club that Oscar has the final say on all transfers but I guess until we sign a player from Barca or Tel Aviv then some people are never going to believe it.

I do understand that he has the final say on what has been selected for him to choose from, but can you point to a signing and say that was a player selected by Oscar. I can't think of one
Like I believe CMS was truly a player that Poyet told the club he wanted and not the club telling Poyet I think we should go for him.
I also believe rightly or wrongly that this being told his choices was on fo the reasons for the breakdown between Poyet and the club.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I do understand that he has the final say on what has been selected for him to choose from, but can you point to a signing and say that was a player selected by Oscar. I can't think of one.

As Tony Bloom said a while ago, Don't under estimate Oscar's knowledge of players in this country.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
As Tony Bloom said a while ago, Don't under estimate Oscar's knowledge of players in this country.

OK then, since his arrival, which signing hand on heart would you say Oscar said to the club go and get him for me?
Do you think that Sunderland as a club are telling Poyet to go get Bridcutt and Buckley or the other way around?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
OK then, since his arrival, which signing hand on heart would you say Oscar said to the club go and get him for me?
Do you think that Sunderland as a club are telling Poyet to go get Bridcutt and Buckley or the other way around?

Other than the rich clubs how many clubs do work like that these days? That's the whole idea of having a scouting network. The manager decides the type of player he wants and hands it over to the scouts who identify realistic targets within our price range and presents the manager with a list of players available. The manager then decides who he wants and say's something along the lines of " that's the one I want go and get him for me "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here