Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hating this transfer window so far

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems to be heavily loaded with who we are going to lose rather than who we are going to get in.

Come on Ashley, sign your contract :thumbsup:

Transfer windows are normally quite exciting, maybe it's just me but this one is quite depressing at the moment...but it is very early days

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Since a couple of seasons ago when we announced new players as we sold one, there seems to be an expectations thatis something we will always try to do.

I would love to see the reaction to "we've sold bridcutt for £3m, but Ashley Barnes has signed a one year extension"

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Since a couple of seasons ago when we announced new players as we sold one, there seems to be an expectations thatis something we will always try to do.

I would love to see the reaction to "we've sold bridcutt for £3m, but Ashley Barnes has signed a one year extension"

Yep, I would be well happy with that, I have resigned myself that Liam is going but I would be gutted (as I was when we didn't keep Murray) if we sell Barnes

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Seems to be heavily loaded with who we are going to lose rather than who we are going to get in.

Transfer windows are normally quite exciting, maybe it's just me but this one is quite depressing at the moment...but it is very early days

Hopefully we will be able to do what we have for a couple of seasons now and that is to turn down offers for our best players (like Bennett) and keep them (if only until the summer)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Imagine if tomorrow we hear news that Birghton agree a three year contract extension with PIG, Barnes and Ince.

That'd be bloody amazing.

No doubt swiftly followed by the news Bridcutt and Ulloa have been sold to Palace for £2m.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
As long as we don't sell Ulloa, and we extend Ince's contract ( which may not happen until after the window shuts ) then I'm happy.

Any fee from other players must be used to shore up the FFP position and maybe used to bring in 1 or 2 replacements.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Get used to it, I reckon. As our players become more and more attractive to sides above us in the league pyramid, this speculation will only increase. It's better than no one being interested in them because they are rubbish.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Get used to it, I reckon. As our players become more and more attractive to sides above us in the league pyramid, this speculation will only increase. It's better than no one being interested in them because they are rubbish.

Fair point but are Forest, Leicester, Leeds, Reading QPR etc having the same problems? I have no idea, as I don't follow them closely but most teams aiming for promotion tend to hang on to their best players at this stage of the season. I just worry that we still seem to be seen as a feeder club to just about everyone above us in the league.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fair point but are Forest, Leicester, Leeds, Reading QPR etc having the same problems? I have no idea, as I don't follow them closely but most teams aiming for promotion tend to hang on to their best players at this stage of the season. I just worry that we still seem to be seen as a feeder club to just about everyone above us in the league.

Fair point. The reality of the situation is that we are seen as a smaller club than those mentioned and I suspect we pay less in wages than them. Therefore, from a press perspective it's easy to run with the story. That perception will change given time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
People are bidding left, right and centre for our players

Barnes - Burnley
Bridcutt - Sunderland
Buckley - Sunderland / Leeds

Ulloa - Hull ( allegedly ).

Given that Tony doesn't like doing business in January, it's fair to say we won't be selling them all !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As long as we don't sell Ulloa, and we extend Ince's contract ( which may not happen until after the window shuts ) then I'm happy.

Any fee from other players must be used to shore up the FFP position and maybe used to bring in 1 or 2 replacements.

I agree with you about Ulloa and Ince, but would also want to see Top Kat extending, alongside Orlandi and Barnes. If we can get decent prices for Bridcutt and Buckley, I think we've got decent enough cover in their positions, especially with the emergence of Ince and (maybe?) March, alongside the possibility of signing Conway, or getting him on loan. I'm of the view that if B&B are sold, the money will be re-invested in the squad, with new signings and better contracts for the likes of Ince. Given this, I'm not so despondent about the transfer window, as I'm quite excited about Oscar identifying -- and signing -- the type of player that he thinks we need to step up.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

cyberleech

May 21, 2013
I don't want to start any transfer rumours but I think I saw Kemy Agustien in Marks and Spencers at Holmbush yesterday. I know they have the cash, but would he sign for a major UK retailer?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm OK about this.

Previously we have always had players that without them would massively impact us but now we genuinly have a quality squad and can absorb losses. Thats before we strengthen.

Also found myself liking the thought of cash for FFP . . .Bit of a U Turn for me.

Guess being a top championship side has made me pretty chilled about it all

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. Given this, I'm not so despondent about the transfer window, as I'm quite excited about Oscar identifying -- and signing -- the type of player that he thinks we need to step up.

I think I'm going to try and adopt your attitude, we will be losing Poyet players, let's be having the Oscar ones !!!

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
At the end of the day we gotta make enough cash so we can bid on messi next year so sell me all, **** it sell the stadium too

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I am quite relaxed about Bridcutt leaving on the assumption that we get the right price for him. (3m would do it for me). He's done a great job for us but somehow doesn't fit in Oscar's team.
Am expecting the deal to be wrapped up very soon so that we have 3 weeks to spend the money on replacements...
....followed by an authorative and unambiguous statement from the club that OUR SELLING BUSINESS FROM THIS JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW HAS NOW BEEN CONCLUDED.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 38m
Might be news of a #bhafc outgoing in the next day or two. No, not any of those three. Non first-teamer to a lower League club.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here