Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Will be interesting to see what the asking price is. Must be getting close to selling given we get nowt in June.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
None of us can guess this. Depends on how talks of a contract have been. If we think it is unlikely he will sign a new deal (or if we don't want to deal with them until 'we know what league we are in') then £1.5m is a great deal for us. Ultimately, if we think he will sign a new deal, or wants to, then we shouldn't be selling him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Piss OFF.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Surely a lot rests on whether Barnes has any interest at all in going to Burnley. I certainly hope he stays.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I don't understand this waiting on contracts to find out what league we are in. Just get a deal done with option a) we stay in this league and pay you x amount. or Option b) we get promoted and pay you xx amount. If the player then decides he doesn't want the contract, then fair enough we might as well sell.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We aren't going to sell Barnes, Buckley, Leo and Liam in this window, as various rumours have suggested. At the very most, we'll part with two of them.
From the outside looking in, Liam and Ash do seem the most likely but there's no doubt in my mind that Barnes will be an Albion player for the rest of this season.

I also don't understand why Burnley would relentlessly pursue him. There's players with much better goal-scoring records available.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
None of us can guess this. Depends on how talks of a contract have been. If we think it is unlikely he will sign a new deal (or if we don't want to deal with them until 'we know what league we are in') then £1.5m is a great deal for us. Ultimately, if we think he will sign a new deal, or wants to, then we shouldn't be selling him.

Totally ... we have no idea about any contract talks and it's that and the wants of the club and Barnes that will drive the likelihood of sale and ultimate price.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Barnes was brilliant on Saturday, his hold up and link up play has developed hugely in the last 6 months under Oscar. Really hope we keep hold of him, ahead of Buckley and Bridcutt too

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have to say he was brilliant against Reading. Goals ratio not great, but he does bring an awful lot to the team with hold-up play.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know, he gives 100% every game, and we'll miss him. It's the noisy fools that can't see his qualities that are to blame if he goes.

I don't think if he goes it will be because of a minority of fans giving him stick. It will be because of career aspirations/money. You have consistently overplayed the fan thing for some reason.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I reckon he'll go if there's someone else lined up already to replace him.

What I liked about that link was the link to the right of the story about the local amateur match turning into a 40 man brawl.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Who on earth would want to move to Burnley from Brighton, though?

It's a northern place and therefore grim.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I for one think he is a valuable member of the squad and 1.5 million is tempting but I think he is worth more.

Not with his contract up in the summer he isn't, and Burnley know that.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't understand this waiting on contracts to find out what league we are in. Just get a deal done with option a) we stay in this league and pay you x amount. or Option b) we get promoted and pay you xx amount. If the player then decides he doesn't want the contract, then fair enough we might as well sell.

But it isn't necessarily about how much we pay them but whether we would still want them if promoted. Teams are limited on squad sizes now in the top flight so by signing up most of the current squad before you know which division you are in could mean you either have very few places left to bring in new faces or left with several players on new contracts who arn't going to be in your plans (not saying this is the case with Barnes but generally)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here