Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorrento

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Good friend of mine went down on 1 knee on NYE whilst drunk and being egged on by me.
He seems to have carried this threat through.
l was hoping for Vegas but they have chosen Sorrento and the Choppers will be going in May.
Love Italy been to Rome, Venice and Tuscony.
They have seen an all inclusive that they like.
Hints and Tips from those that have been please.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would never go all inclusive to Italy. Far too many great places to go and find in the evenings although to be fair I suppose you can do a wad on drink. Food is pretty reasonable.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I don't know Sorrento tbh - but I know Italy very well.

I learnt one huge lesson in my times there (Sardinia and Genoa):

The best thing re: eating out is to use local knowledge and tips. You can end
up spending quite a bit of money in "ok-ish" restaurants and for half the price get triple the
quality - often off the beaten track. Worth doing some homework.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't know Sorrento tbh - but I know Italy very well.

I learnt one huge lesson in my times there (Sardinia and Genoa):

The best thing re: eating out is to use local knowledge and tips. You can end
up spending quite a bit of money in "ok-ish" restaurants and for half the price get triple the

quality - often off the beaten track. Worth doing some homework.

Pretty much this. Although prices can vary dramatically from city to City as well. Am in Milan at the moment and it costs more here than Florence or Rome.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've been to Sorrento, but it was on a school trip when I was 13 :lolol:

I'd recommend going to Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc, if you like those sorts of places. One place that you should DEFINITELY go to is Capri. Beautiful island just across the water and Anacapri is one of the best places to watch a sunset in the world (IMO).

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The traffic is nasty getting in and out, but if you do hire a car apart from the cultural attractions of Pompeii e.c.t., the Amalfi coast is gorgeous and Vesuvius dramatic….enjoy !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else open this thread hoping it would be some FLAIRNIAC South American prospect we were rumoured to be in for?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Good friend of mine went down on 1 knee on NYE whilst drunk and being egged on by me.
l was hoping for Vegas but they have chosen Sorrento and the Choppers will be going in May.

We were there at Easter last year - love it, just love it. We liked Sorrento so much we went twice, found a nice little eaterie down one of the side streets (they gave us free drinks). Sorrento can be a little touristy though, but the views across the bay to Naples are just breathtaking.

Beware the roads if you're driving - the coast road from Amalfi is a bit of a white knuckle ride, but not as bad as Amalfi to Salerno (I will never do THAT again!). Pompeii is great but big - when we went there were sections closed off so you had to keep on doubling back. Herculaneum is also top notch. Try Poppea's Villa - very undisturbed (when we went, there were about four other people there). Vesuvius is also worth a visit.

If you do go to Pompeii, some of the restaurants opposite the entrance (just up from the supermarket) offer parking all day for 10 Euro's - we were initially suspicious, but it worked out fine.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Been there a few times. Loved it. Get a trip on the ferry to positano...the Amlfi coast is just the most stunning place!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

I've sent you a PM, been there the last two years and we absolutely love it.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
I've been to Sorrento, but it was on a school trip when I was 13 :lolol:

I'd recommend going to Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc, if you like those sorts of places. One place that you should DEFINITELY go to is Capri. Beautiful island just across the water and Anacapri is one of the best places to watch a sunset in the world (IMO).

I echo these sentiments.

I went to Sorrento Easter 2013, the history is immense in the local proximity and the town itself is very peaceful. It's easy to just sit outside a cafe and lose all track of time admiring the scenery & the women!

I came home half way through my holiday as I came down with tonsilitis and am going back out on Friday for a long weekend.

One recommendation - if you can cope with hights then a helicopter trip across the Bay of Naples & over Vesuvius is mind blowing.

Enjoy!

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Stayed in the imperial hotel in Sorrento a couple of years ago very spectacular sits high above the town on a cliff fantastic views and food was excellent,
The town of Sorrento is ok nothing special full of cruise ships like ants swamping all over however it's a great place use as a base as it's within easy reach using buses ferries or trains to visit Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Amailfi Positano and Naples it's even possible to do a day trip to Rome, well worth a week to visit for me the highlight was Amailfi go by bus return by boat the trip is stunning and Amailfi is a really pretty little place with a fantastic cathedral

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Went there on honeymoon in the Summer. Seems a slightly odd choice for a stag do but they have beer so I'm sure it will be OK.

For car hire, I would avoid Hertz. They seem to like to add extra charges in Italy.
The food throughout Italy is fantastic. Lots of restaurants around the town.
The driving has to be seen to be believed. Mopeds overtake left and right and the cars are all 'scarred' from scrapes here and there.
Capri was a nice day trip. Boats leave hourly and there are various touristy things to do. We went to see a blue grotto cave which was a bit of a tourist trap.
We saw the Amailfi coast with me driving and I couldn't really take my eyes off the road to see the lovely views.
The nicer restaurants are off the main street in the pedestrian areas.
The views are pretty special.

Enjoy!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thanks for all the replies much appreciated. Thanks Barrow Boy for the PM very useful.
To cover some points briefly.
Its not the stag do its the wedding.
Don't know the hotel yet will be asking this week and checking it out, agree about eating out because I love Italian food and if the all inclusive is bog standard fare I will not be happy.
I was under the impression that it was expensive because of sorrentos reputation.
Sorry to mislead some of you regarding a flair player.
Will report back as soon as I know more maybe some of you may have been to the hotel.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sorry just like to say that I don't know the hotel because the bride has booked it for the wedding and we will probably stay in the same place as long as it checks out ok.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here