Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If in doubt... ask NSC...

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
It occurs to me that those things increase waste products in the world.
Also, should you discover a blend or bean in particular, you are limited with those machines to buying their packs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I went bean to cup 4 years ago mainly for want of variety.
Got a very decent Siemens machine that is still going

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bean to cup all the way for me. Bought de-longhi's cheapest bean to cup machine 2 years ago. It gets used at least once a day and still makes a perfect espresso.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I went bean to cup 4 years ago mainly for want of variety.
Got a very decent Siemens machine that is still going

Bean to cup all the way for me. Bought de-longhi's cheapest bean to cup machine 2 years ago. It gets used at least once a day and still makes a perfect espresso.

Interesting option. What model do you have and any comments about using it, cleaning it, costs etc...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting option. What model do you have and any comments about using it, cleaning it, costs etc...

Machine cost me about £700 I think. Built in frother etc. Coffee I buy from HasBean freshly roasted, from £5 a bag.

New filter every 4-6 months or so, and decalc & clean every 3 months or so based on daily use.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should say depends on the person. A lot of people I know a Tassimo or Nespresso are more than fine, and I have has a good cup. My decision was purely down to choice of bean, having had a Tassimo and found I grew frustrated with the fairly limited choice.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Machine cost me about £700 I think. Built in frother etc. Coffee I buy from HasBean freshly roasted, from £5 a bag.

New filter every 4-6 months or so, and decalc & clean every 3 months or so based on daily use.

Wow - that seems a bit pricey to me, just for a cup of coffee. I think I am looking more in the £100-200 for the machine and 10-20p a cup for the pods.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow - that seems a bit pricey to me, just for a cup of coffee. I think I am looking more in the £100-200 for the machine and 10-20p a cup for the pods.

Yeah depends on use etc. I work from home, so it's used a lot, so after buying a few cheaper machines that did not last, I took the plunge!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless im mistaken, the machine in the OP is doing both pods and ground coffee, so ease of pods and if you want cheaper/more variety you can grind your own. best of both worlds, bargin imo.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Beans from anywhere, grinder, hot water, cafetiere = real coffee, and cheap. Why do you need anything more expensive?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
unless im mistaken, the machine in the OP is doing both pods and ground coffee, so ease of pods and if you want cheaper/more variety you can grind your own. best of both worlds, bargin imo.

Indeed... so that might well make it a sensible toe-in-the-water option.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Beans from anywhere, grinder, hot water, cafetiere = real coffee, and cheap. Why do you need anything more expensive?

This is what we do occasionally when we want 'proper' coffee... but it is a pretty messy business - and certainly not a great option for everyday, several a day coffees when working from home.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Got a Nescafé gusto thing from my daughter...spent 2 hours descaling it this afternoon...it's ok actually but the pods not cheap.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is what we do occasionally when we want 'proper' coffee... but it is a pretty messy business - and certainly not a great option for everyday, several a day coffees when working from home.

What mess? Either tip the grounds from the cafetiere into the compost bin (worms love them), or rinse them down the sink. No de-scaling or cleaning of machines.

Mind you, "several" of these a day will leave you dependent on caffeine!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here