Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football league show revamp

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Here's how it should be done IMHO:
Drop all manager interviews - nothing ever really said that's interesting and if there ever was they could insert the odd one now and again. Instead, use the air time freed up for match-play

Concentrate on 4 featured games - 2 from champs; 1 from leagues 1&2 each. Proper old moTD coverage showing team line ups and game finishing etc. That way, it becomes a bit of a treat to see YOUR team on. Too much of a good thing reduces appeal basically.

Show best of goals rather than every single one from each division and stick rest online if people really want to see their teams deflected goal cannoning in off a defenders arse. I include BHA in this. An Ashley Barnes penalty conversion (when happens!) isn't really worth tuning in for when we win 1-nil. Just takes up air-time.

And reduce pundit discusses matches post game. Again, concentrate on match air-time.

The programmes downfall at the moment for me is that it's too broad. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We get enough complaints that not enough of our game is shown each week, if we're not one of the two teams in the featured matches (in a division with the likes of recent prem teams such as QPR, Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Blackpool, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, watford, reading, and clubs with european history such as leeds and forest, I don't see brighton getting a lot of love in the match selection), we'd only get on there when we score great goals. We've had a couple but they're not a regular thing.

If people don't get to see even brief highlights of their team, they won't tune in, viewing figures will plummet and the show will be cancelled.

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Leagues One and Two should be covered at all - at the moment the show is all quantity and no quality. The Championship should have its own Match of the Day style show with good quality coverage for all games.

ITV did this a few years ago and Albion fans complained as we didn't get to see much go our side as we were in the lower leagues.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
The Championship should be covered straight after MOTD in the evening with a similar style of coverage to MOTD. Leagues One and Two should have a separate program the following morning.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Alternatively, the Championship could have it's own show that runs on BBC2 concurrently with MOTD, then League One and Two could have their show at the same time as MOTD2 the following evening.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Just cut out Manish and Claridge in the broom cupboard, Clem's pointless prattling and have 2 highlighted matches and then just run goal/key incident highlights on all the other matches without any other interruptions, and the programme would be immediately enhanced. That formula seemed to work pretty well for Nationwide Football League Extra on ITV for a few years.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Always do it from a clubs stadium and go deep into the curren clubs status and relationship with fans (from both sides).

Do large highlights of the chosen clubs game, medium highlights of another great game the same day, then race through all the other goals (skipping consolation goals or meaningless deflectioins).

Keep most manager interviews as i see these a great reflection of 'where a team is at' and their personaility.

less punditry or replays - the viewers make their minds up and Claraidge going on and on is pointless.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They should split the screen and show highlights from each division plus some punditry in each quarter.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Great thread this, but the cost of an outside broadcast compared with taking goal highlights is what prohibits more extended coverage of more games. This is also why game 2 is usually just a BBC cut of the Sky FL game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think Leagues One and Two should be covered at all - at the moment the show is all quantity and no quality. The Championship should have its own Match of the Day style show with good quality coverage for all games.

1st sentence is my point. Disagree 2nd one, plenty of good football in lower leagues and certainly bound to be at least a couple of games better than several in championship. Your point is why TV coverage of FA cup is so dull. Often go for all premiership tie which we see all the time.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Alternatively, don't have a national program. Scrap it and have Late Kick off throughout the season, after MOTD, instead of starting in February or whenever. If they showed the local games across all the leagues and then put the programs online, people would get more coverage of their own club and the option to watch the goals for other games across the leagues.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All ideas for the show on the topic are pretty bad and will just piss more people off.

Be better to keep it how it is.

Also, i would bet a lot of money on that those saying that League 1 and 2 highlights shouldnt be shown would wet themselves if we were in said league and moan that we get no coverage.

Jul 7, 2003
I really want one of those mugs. But preferably not Claridge :nono:

Might be worth a look in the BBC shop on Queens Road - they had various TV mugs in the window the other week such as the ones they use on Mock The Week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here