Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Sea World Florida. Anyone been?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Have taken the family a couple of times but have just watched a film called Blackfish which is quite shocking.
It concerns the general treatment of the killer whales at the park but specifically the fact that they got a whale from another park knowing it had killed a trainer and then it killed another one at Orlando and they tried to cover it all up.

(Apologies as I'm still a pc dinosaur but there is a trailer for the film if anyone can put a link up thanks)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Went there about 20 years ago when my kids were very young. Doesn't surprise me they would try to cover up something like that. Nothing will happen to the parks owners. Apart from the fear of losing tourist dollars, remember this is the state where its quite okay to shoot and kill a young boy who is taking a short cut through a condo complex after returning from the store.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been 3 times in the last 6 years and going again this year.

Personally not that keen on the whale show as all a bit false, Sea Lion show is the best and some really good roller coasters there as well.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Same as in Vegas with the micro planes & the Grand Canyon, they tell you none have crashed but 60 have killing 300+

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I hear they search your bag before you go in so you might not like it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I hear they search your bag before you go in so you might not like it.

Affirmative, happens at all major theme parks in the USA

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Personally not that keen on the whale show as all a bit false, Sea Lion show is the best and some really good roller coasters there as well.

Totally this.

Go on Manta...it's a face down rollercoaster.

Don't forget to get down to Busch Gardens as well as it's a better park than Sea World IMO

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013

You don't like the whale show because it a bit false but the sea lions pretending to be pirates with a talking otter is more like their natural behaviour?!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Totally this.

Go on Manta...it's a face down rollercoaster.

Don't forget to get down to Busch Gardens as well as it's a better park than Sea World IMO

Been to Busch Gardens twice and it is spectacular - has a bit of everything for a Theme Park

However the new one Cheateh Run was not the greatest ride

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You don't like the whale show because it a bit false but the sea lions pretending to be pirates with a talking otter is more like their natural behaviour?!

I suppose that is true but the Sea Lion show was funny and entertaining where as the whales are just boring however Mrs Hut loves them.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I suppose that is true but the Sea Lion show was funny and entertaining where as the whales are just boring however Mrs Hut loves them.

Yeah the talking otter was the highlight for Mrs Oz. I have to say Seaworld is my favourite theme park. Seriously good rides and the kids with the dolphins is not something they will forget.

Great theme park with some secrets to hide judging by the tv show. I'm not going to watch it as we own a house out there and I don't want to feel guilty for going next time we are there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have taken the family a couple of times but have just watched a film called Blackfish which is quite shocking.
It concerns the general treatment of the killer whales at the park but specifically the fact that they got a whale from another park knowing it had killed a trainer and then it killed another one at Orlando and they tried to cover it all up.

(Apologies as I'm still a pc dinosaur but there is a trailer for the film if anyone can put a link up thanks)

How did they try and cover it up? It was reported the same day it happened.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Been once, won't be going again due to having an aquarium at home and a pond at work. What do i need to go to bloody Sea World for !!!!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw Blackfish just before Christmas. Whoa a sorrowful watch. Horrible and uncaring mistreatment of Tilikum thanks to a lack of understanding of the psychology and tribalism of these magnificent yet deadly beasts, right from their utterly cruel capture and rearing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
These type of parks never appealed t me but after watching Blackfish I would question anyone wanting to visit such a place. Aside form the abhorant practices they employ I would imagine there are far more interesting things to do off the coast of Florida than watch a bunch of ill treated wild animals swim around miserably in a pool purely for the entertainment of tourists

Uncle Albert

Aug 21, 2003
Brighton
In this so-called civilised society, I find it strange that people still pay money to watch captive animals perform tricks. Thankfully, the Brighton Dolphinarium was shut down 20+ years ago, with the dolphins realised into the wild. As Nibble rightly says, why travel across the pond to see these wonderful marine animals in captivity when surely there is much more entertainment and education to be gained from seeing them in their natural habitat...the ocean!

Since the documentary Blackfish has come out...

- 8 out of 10 bands scheduled to appear at a Seaworld concert this year have pulled out www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/12/16/blackfish-2
- Seaworld's FB pages are getting hammered every day by protesters
- Seaworld has had to pay for a full page (PR) ad addressing claims in Blackfish (nice counter response here http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/open-letter-seaworld
- The investment company Blackstone, owner of Seaworld, has recently sold the majority of its shares (over $500 million), as Seaworld's share price continues to plummet

Can't think of any documentary of recent years that's had this much impact!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here