Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
You can't beat this beaky flouncer.
The Curlew.

curlew.jpg

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'm also rather partial to Red Kites, having seen them regularly by the M40 on my trips to and from university in Buckingham. They can now been seen regularly at the Burgh, above Burpham.
Saw them myself over the summer, got flown over quite low by one near Burpham one early morning.

3620213_8d570799.jpg

Took this picture on The Burgh of a Red Kite and Common Buzzard out hunting together, though always keeping some distance between each other. There were a pair of each.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My favourite has to be a seagull:ffsparr:

I like the chicks. Utterly RUTHLESS and totally lacking in respect for their parents. They would fck them over for a crust of bread.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So, you've met my kids?

I like to feed Seagulls and see the utter carnage. Chicks pecking away at their parents. They are hard motherfckers. It is ALL about them.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
A couple of years ago, I saw someone a bit odd in Balham looking very disoriented.

A largish light brown bird, smaller than a pigeon but rounder with blue flecks on the wings.

What was that ?

Looked like something more comfortable in a wood rather than an inner city.
Saw something similar in Worthing last year, never found out what it was.

edit: for me, anyway, possible favourite is:

Mute_swan_Vrhnika.jpg

Last edited:

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Big birder here. My daughter's middle name is 'Wren'. I'm a little obsessed.

I assume you all know about the Peregrine's on top of Sussex Heights by Churchill Sq? Their story is fantastic. I watch their webcam every year. We also have a pair on the Lloyds building here in Worthing.

As someone said, it is hard to trump them. However, I'm also very partial towards the Goshawk. I'm starting a part-time natural science degree at the OU in Feb and I'm hoping it will send me down the path of studying the migration trends and patterns of certain birds (swifts, swallows, etc.)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
When in Spain last week i went to visit this tiny concrete park in the middle of Ourense that has a piercing white peacock and a more regular multi-coloured one strutting around. Also there in a small pond were a few ducks quacking about and a trio of black swans. The latter brought me a tad to sorrow as two were a couple whilst the remaining black swan had to remain a distance away in obvious fear for its safety. I hope the council find a mate for the lonely bird as it must have just spent its time constantly paddling nervously whilst watching these 2 lovers garble song at each other. Still, on the riverbanks that splits Ourense in two i saw some cormorants drying themselves before diving back in and a friendly heron.

Indeed, one of my favourite Sunday afternoon excursions is to take the folks down to Shoreham to see if the ones on the power station tower are there, perhaps taking in a drink and a bite at Carat's Cafe. However, my favourite is the Barn Owl, though they've sadly had a couple of bad years thanks to the grotty weather. I'm also rather partial to Red Kites, having seen them regularly by the M40 on my trips to and from university in Buckingham. They can now been seen regularly at the Burgh, above Burpham.
We have barn owls locally to Bracknell Towers - sometimes hunting in broad daylight, quite close to the house. There is an old flint barn about a mile away, where they nest in old tea chests that the farmer has placed up in the rafters. Wonderful birds.

But my favourites have to be the nightingales that sing through the night from the old oak tree at the end of our garden.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
We have barn owls locally to Bracknell Towers - sometimes hunting in broad daylight, quite close to the house. There is an old flint barn about a mile away, where they nest in old tea chests that the farmer has placed up in the rafters. Wonderful birds.

But my favourites have to be the nightingales that sing through the night from the old oak tree at the end of our garden.

I almost bit at this, well done!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Any native bird of prey really, seen most of our UK species now, only missing a Goshawk and a Sparrowhawk.

Be lucky to see either, Sparrowhawks are lightening quick in woods and if I am ever lucky enough to see one it will be gone in a flash!

I do have a plucky little robin that lives jus outside the fire exit door where I work, I've been feeding it and it is getting gradually braver, to the point if I leave some food just inside the door it flies in, grabs it and flies back out again. It's become kind of a little friend now, I regularly go outside and kick the dead leaves about so it can have a rummage around looking for bugs.

My favourite is the Peregrine though. Such a majestic bird and THE ultimate aerial hunter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here