Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players out of contract

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
With the talk about, should the club cash in on Barnes in the current window or risk him walking away for free at the end of season. What other players are we currently in the same or could be in the same situation (if offers came in) other than Barnes, Ince and PIG?

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Last year ( or was it the year before ) they issued a load of contract extensions to players without telling us, so it maybe that the situation isn't clear.

I'd say the 2 most important to sort are Kuszczak and Ince, but I hope Calderon also gets a new deal and so does Bruno.

Another year for Upson as well please.

And is Orlandi also up for renewal ?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Last year ( or was it the year before ) they issued a load of contract extensions to players without telling us, so it maybe that the situation isn't clear.

I'd say the 2 most important to sort are Kuszczak and Ince, but I hope Calderon also gets a new deal and so does Bruno.

Another year for Upson as well please.

And is Orlandi also up for renewal ?

I hope you are correct about the extension as that is 7 of our first team squad who can now be talking to other clubs and could walk away for free.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Orlandi signed on a two year deal when he joined (Dobbie signed a three year contract :facepalm: ) so yes, he will need a renewal. I'd be gutted if we lost any of them to be honest, though the absolute priority must go to signing new deals with Orlandi, Kuszczak, Ince and Barnes.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Oh and I'd love another year of Upson, been one of my favourite players since he signed.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
With the talk about, should the club cash in on Barnes in the current window or risk him walking away for free at the end of season. What other players are we currently in the same or could be in the same situation (if offers came in) other than Barnes, Ince and PIG?

First teamers out of contract are-

Pig
Bruno
Calderon
Upson
Ince
Lopez
Lua lua
Orlandi
Barnes

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
if they get offered better wages elsewhere it will be a different team next year

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Ince is the one the worries me the most. I'm sure the club are all over it but they need to be all over it quicker. Every game I see him play I'm amazed at how quick his feet are for a beast of a man.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
if they get offered better wages elsewhere it will be a different team next year

Perhaps, but lifestyle does factor for some players. Would you rather earn 8k and live in brighton/ sussex or 10k and live in shitville. Some of our older players (upson) don't need the money so lifestyle and game time will be key. (I hope anyway!!)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Pig
Bruno
Calderon
Upson
Ince
Lopez
Lua lua
Orlandi
Barnes

Had no idea about Lualua, cheers. He does irritate me sometimes but on his day Kaz can be devastating so I'd offer him a new deal. As much as I love Spanish Dave he's going to have to up his game if he wants to stay. Having said that he's definitely improved recently.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Pig
Bruno
Calderon
Upson
Ince
Lopez
Lua lua
Orlandi
Barnes

That is quite a list of top quality players. I hope Burke has the thumb screws on their agents as we speak and getting signatures on dotted lines.

However if Oscar has said I can bring in a pacey winger, a play maker etc...then so be it but I'd still want them to sign and build the squad not replace.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
That is quite a list of top quality players. I hope Burke has the thumb screws on their agents as we speak and getting signatures on dotted lines.

However if Oscar has said I can bring in a pacey winger, a play maker etc...then so be it but I'd still want them to sign and build the squad not replace.

If you also factor in that Bridcutt looks unlikely to be here and Ward/Andrews loans finishing, our first team for next season would currently look something like this:

Walton (think Ankergren and Brezovan are also out of contract)

El-Abd Greer Maksimenko (is Dunk also out of contract?) Chicksen

Buckley Crofts Agustien March

Ulloa Mackail-Smith

Obviously you'd hope that at least some of those out of contract will renew and we'll bring in some other players. The 11 above doesn't actually look bad but certainly not good enough to challenge for promotion and there is very limited strength in depth. Will be a very interesting summer...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Pig
Bruno
Calderon
Upson
Ince
Lopez
Lua lua
Orlandi
Barnes

Thanks Sam. I find that list of players that we could lose frightening and hope Sparkie is correct and extensions that we don't know about, have been put in place for a number of them.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I thought a lot of our contracts had the extra year claus in place. Stops a lot of players walking away for free. Main one last year who did not was Adam everyone else seemed to have the contract renewed.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

If all these were to leave for free then I'd hate to think what our team will be next season as we'd not be able to afford to replace them all with the FFP rules.

Pig
Bruno
Calderon
Upson
Ince
Lopez
Lua lua
Orlandi
Barnes

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Leicester have more out of contact, top players too. I wonder what's in store for them if they screw up.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
its a scary list of out of contract players - you have to believe the club are doing all they can to secure the players they believe they need going forward......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Pig
Bruno
Calderon
Upson
Ince
Lopez
Lua lua
Orlandi
Barnes

From that list Ince has signed a new contract and Barnes is gone. Take into account Ward and Andrews are only on loan and I'd assume that we may get another couple of players in on loan shortly to have a go at the playoffs. Should we succeed, there would almost certainly be a big rebuilding programme next year anyway.

I am coming around to the occasionally muted suggestion on NSC that we will do the best we can this season but are going to have a mega clear out at the end of the season, giving Oscar the opportunity to build his own squad almost from scratch, regardless of where we finish this season.

Risky but possibly a very exciting close season and it would take at least a month of next season for the team to gel.

Do you see the above as a likely scenario? If so are there any players in the list of out of contract players that we are likely to be able to hang onto, should we choose?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here