Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ESL in the rain...?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm relocating from the cosy comfort of WSU tomorrow.

My guess is that if it rains you have a good chance of getting wet in ESL, but how bad is it?

Do the back rows stay dry or does everyone get a bit soggy? Is it affected much by wind direction? South westerlies forecast tomorrow (or is wind not actually much of a factor down there?)

Any info from experienced Eastsiders welcome.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I sat in Row D when we beat the scum last year, I appeared to be at the very edge of the roof as my lower half got drenched. The rain was coming straight down if I remember correctly so I can't say how much wind will affect who gets wet, should be fine at the back rows though.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Row K can get wet depending on wind direction, two or three rows back are ok though
Thanks - we are in Row X, so it seems like we will be OK.

Obviously not life or death situation but with 2 x six year olds in tow it is useful to know what to expect (no need for ponchos...).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

My guess is that if it rains you have a good chance of getting wet in ESL, but how bad is it?

Do the back rows stay dry or does everyone get a bit soggy? Is it affected much by wind direction? South westerlies forecast tomorrow (or is wind not actually much of a factor down there?)

Back rows should be fine, I'm sat in N and Bournemouth was the first game in recent memory where I got noticeably wet (or would have without waterproofs), even then it was only really in the first half when the wind was blowing.

Essentially;

no wind = no problem

constant wind + rain = damp!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I sit in Row E in the East Stand Lower and there might just as well not be a roof!

Even when there is no wind and the rain is falling straight down the shape of the roof is such that the rain seems to be sucked in under it.

When windy like the match against Bournemouth and against Huddersfield then wet weather gear is an absolute necessity for those sitting in the first 8 or 9 rows at least. Wind direction doesn't seem to make much difference as you can actually see the turbulence when it's raining and it ends up blowing straight into your face.

I wouldn't swap my seat for all that - at 5 rows from the pitch you can hear the players and being near the halfway line get an excellent overall view of the pitch as well as both goals.

Waterproof top with hood, waterproof trousers and you can forget the rain - I love it, just like the old days :clap:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Obviously not life or death situation but with 2 x six year olds in tow it is useful to know what to expect (no need for ponchos...).

You will be fine I usually sit in row V and apart from the last week where we got the odd bit of spray with the wind we have never got wet. If you are in the front 5 rows though good luck, water proof trousers are now a common sight in the ESL.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Not sure on the east, but in the north the front 5 or so rows normally get a bit wet. On Wednesday we moved up from row A to R for the second half.

All depends on wind direction really, one Tuesday game it was chucking it down but we were completely dry. Just a wall of rain in front of us, somewhat soothing.

But yes, you should definitely be fine in row X!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not sure on the east, but in the north the front 5 or so rows normally get a bit wet. On Wednesday we moved up from row A to R for the second half.

All depends on wind direction really, one Tuesday game it was chucking it down but we were completely dry. Just a wall of rain in front of us, somewhat soothing.

But yes, you should definitely be fine in row X!!
Thanks. Main concern is about Nintendo DS and hot dogs getting wet...

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
front row in the rain for two hours with your jeans soaked through.. The last thing you'll be worrying about is a wet hotdog!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Actually while I'm here, I know this could be a silly question but I'm front row of ESU tomorrow, I assume I'll be alright?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Is that a late change of heart Moshe? We are in the ESU (including 'Mr & Mrs' Fisons) - hopefully nice and Stephen up there.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Depends on the wind. I'm in row X and was dry on Wednesday but got wet through against Huddersfield before Xmas

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here