Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton Athletic SOLD for £14m to 'Standard Liege'

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Are we about to see a plethora of mergers and acquisitions?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, their team will now be full of Belgian U21 players, 'on loan' from SL?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder what his motive is?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You can see some Chairmen thinking that it might be advantageous to have fingers in more than one pie across different leagues.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Standard and Roland Duchâtelet are always in the news here concerning how much they get from the Liege council in subsidies and how much tax they pay. Earlier this year there was a story about Duchâtelet taking €20 million out of the club to give shareholders as dividends as 'legal' tax dodge. I wouldn't be too keen if I was an Addicks fan.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I thought UEFA stopped this sort of thing?

or was it clubs in the top flight?

I think there's rules agains owning teams in the same country and multiple teams who would be eligible for a european competition.

At this point it wont be long before the Championship is made up of Udinese B and Standard Liege B etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Moules and Frites at half-time at the Valley?

I always laugh when I see the word "moules" because it is slang in French for a ladies front bottom :laugh:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Duchatelet is now in the process of buying Alcorno (a Spanish 2nd Division side). People rightly concerned as to what the hell his overall plan is - looks to be having clubs all over Europe and loaning players between them in lieu of using the transfer market. Weird. Could become the norm if it works, but surely UEFA will have to change the rules?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here