Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any positives from this Ashes series debacle?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Struggling here, but Ben Stokes is one. Anything/anyone else?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We at least know we're 2 years behind. Shame we didn't want to smell that after the last Ashes series. Ah well, we had a good few years fun and what goes around comes around.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The end of the attitude that this set of England cricketers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It wasn't that long ago that certain sections of the press were asking if this was one of the best England teams of all time.
We can now start putting it into perspective. We can look back and analyse the quality of International opposition over the last five to six years ( generally weak ) and ask the question have some of these players gorged themselves on cheap runs and wickets. Their complete and utter failure to deal with pressure in this series calls into question, character, attitude and ability.
Reputations have been tarnished. Some careers have been ended. Younger players have been bloodied. Changes in mindset. Changes for the better. Out with the old and in with the new.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
To be honest not a lot. It's shown us up and I guess the only positive is the chance to rebuild. 3 new caps in one test though seems a bit extreme especially with Bairstow and Stokes also only just in. However tonight will tell us a bit.

The dropping of Root was a strange one (although I know his average and runs to balls faced ratio was worst than Carberry). Root has at least looked pissed off during this series and got annoyed at himself and others when he or they have screwed up. He has also looked at his mistakes and tried to improve himself (unfortunately with limited success to date). However in the summer he was the golden child and I think we needed to persevere with him for a while.

Cook is still a class player but is he captain material still? We need him to find his form again and is he going to do this while still being captain. His fielding positions have been strange to put it mildly and his own performance in terms of catches has also been poor (thank goodness he juggled and held one today). Should the selectors let him concentrate on his batting again?

Back to the initial question then the only positive as per above has been Stokes and the kick up the backside we needed

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Stokes.
The selectors will have learned to not pick such an arrogant/stupid/ill-prepared squad.
And i've got much more sleep than I thought i would as it's been too boring/depressing to stay up and watch

larus

To be honest not a lot. It's shown us up and I guess the only positive is the chance to rebuild. 3 new caps in one test though seems a bit extreme especially with Bairstow and Stokes also only just in. However tonight will tell us a bit.

The dropping of Root was a strange one (although I know his average and runs to balls faced ratio was worst than Carberry). Root has at least looked pissed off during this series and got annoyed at himself and others when he or they have screwed up. He has also looked at his mistakes and tried to improve himself (unfortunately with limited success to date). However in the summer he was the golden child and I think we needed to persevere with him for a while.

Cook is still a class player but is he captain material still? We need him to find his form again and is he going to do this while still being captain. His fielding positions have been strange to put it mildly and his own performance in terms of catches has also been poor (thank goodness he juggled and held one today). Should the selectors let him concentrate on his batting again?

Back to the initial question then the only positive as per above has been Stokes and the kick up the backside we needed

I think the dropping of Root was more down to his attitude (being a bit cocky I read somewhere). Maybe it was done to teach him a lesson, so I can sort of support that. Long term gain hopefully. Be cocky, but be able to back it up with performances.

Only positives for me are the emergence of Stokes and the fact that it may make us think about our schedule going forward, and rebuild.

Contrary to some of the comments on here, I do think we had a good team, however, they are tired, out of form, and in some cases past their best. It's a tough call as to when does stability lead to complacency. I remember the bad years when players were given 1 or 2 tests and then dropped. Luckily, in recent times, we've allowed players to play through a drop in form and I think thus, overall, has been a positive.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think the dropping of Root was more down to his attitude (being a bit cocky I read somewhere). Maybe it was done to teach him a lesson, so I can sort of support that. Long term gain hopefully. Be cocky, but be able to back it up with performances.

Only positives for me are the emergence of Stokes and the fact that it may make us think about our schedule going forward, and rebuild.

Contrary to some of the comments on here, I do think we had a good team, however, they are tired, out of form, and in some cases past their best. It's a tough call as to when does stability lead to complacency. I remember the bad years when players were given 1 or 2 tests and then dropped. Luckily, in recent times, we've allowed players to play through a drop in form and I think thus, overall, has been a positive.

Sounds spot on to me - I am genuinely seeing no positives at all, but haven't seen the "highlights" of the first day of this test, when I guess Stokes must have been decent.

The biggest issue for me is why they found a plan for all of our batsmen and were able to bowl to it and make it work, whereas if we found any plans for theirs we certainly hid that fact well.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Hopefully the end of our awful attitude, negative tactics and dull captain and staff.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Stokes.
The selectors will have learned to not pick such an arrogant/stupid/ill-prepared squad.
And i've got much more sleep than I thought i would as it's been too boring/depressing to stay up and watch

This for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As above it is Stokes , our solitary centurion I believe in 8 innings. Mind you, as suggested, the kick up the backside, and it's long overdue. Not just players but our coaching seems crap too. Too much time spent working out menu's and dietary needs and not enough time spent in front of a bowling machine turned up to 11.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
a massive wake up call that all teams need refreshing regularly and no team, regardless of success, can ever stand still. We may have won at home last time but anyone whose not one-eyed knows the series was far closer than 3-0 and a vaguely half decent Aussie side should and would have won that series. Need to lose the players whose 'presence' has got just bit too big (Swann, KP) and those players living on the past, not the present (Prior, Bresnnan) and the team can get back to winning ways. Bell and Cook need to take the lead and bring on players like Root and Stokes.
One thing that absolutely shocked me on day 1 - last 2/3 overs and Cook positively ran away from the strike to let Anderson face it. Anderson is absolutely useless as a nightwatchman but more importantly, what message did it send to Johnson when the English captain and probably best batsman didn't fancy facing him??? Crickey he should have taken all of the strike and backed himself to (a) not get out and (b) hit a few good shots at end of the day to show intent to score big and have no fear!!!.....embarrassing all round that was.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I get emails from the ECB (i'm on the email list). They send daily emails with 'Day X Highlights'.

I keep meaning to email them about it...there haven't been any highlights.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here