Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoke bombs, flares, pyro thingies

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Other than a failed attempt at Yeovil, it appears that we haven't followed this latest football "fashion".

Why?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They look amazing and 99.99999% of time no one gets hurt or Is stupid enough to throw them. But in our cotton wool society it's the 0.00001% that rules the law. As ever it's about what could happen and so all such terrorists vill be swiftly crushed by zee party.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I didn't spot the failed attempt at Yeovil, but I am more confused at this pyro 'trend' in the UK. European Ultras seem to get regularly panned by the Brits, and regularly on this board. The efforts of UK clubs fans trying to mimic the Ultra style come in for even more criticism and ridicule, yet there is an appetite for playing with fireworks at football grounds, something that is very reminiscent of European/South American Ultra behaviour.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They look amazing and 99.99999% of time no one gets hurt or Is stupid enough to throw them. But in our cotton wool society it's the 0.00001% that rules the law. As ever it's about what could happen and so all such terrorists vill be swiftly crushed by zee party.

Not strictly true though, they often get thrown, even hit a linesman recently IIRC.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not strictly true though, they often get thrown, even hit a linesman recently IIRC.

That's why I inferred a majority of times. That leaves a minority by default.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Only times off top of my head we've had them last few years have been at Peterborough and Woking. The make up of our away crowd has changed a lot since the withdean days.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Smoke inhalation is always fun especially if you're asthmatic.

Then I sincerely hope you're never on a sinking ship. The distress flair would be dangerous. November 5th also dangerous.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Then I sincerely hope you're never on a sinking ship. The distress flair would be dangerous. November 5th also dangerous.

Ships flares and fireworks don't tend to be let off under roofs. The one at Woking came across the terrace where I was standing and two or three people were choking. A youngster ended up in hospital at a match recently with smoke inhalation.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ships flares and fireworks don't tend to be let off under roofs. The one at Woking came across the terrace where I was standing and two or three people were choking. A youngster ended up in hospital at a match recently with smoke inhalation.

Never go to Amsterdam at new year. Also, avoid much of Europe as they still smoke. Hundreds also die in continental stadiums from all the smoke bombs and flares. FIFA don't do anything and this Scandal goes largely unreported like their hooliganism.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Recent examples of injuries caused by pyrotechnics at English football grounds

• Leeds United v Shrewsbury Town, 11 August 2012 – two supporters were injured, one requiring hospital treatment, when an industrial firework was ignited and thrown in the away supporters’ toilet.
• Coventry City v Walsall, 8 December 2012 - a flare was discharged by the Walsall supporters. A steward placed his foot on the device to prevent further smoke escaping, however the sole of his shoe melted causing injury.
• Leicester City v Sheffield Wednesday, 9 March 2013 - a female supporter received treatment for burns to her leg from one of the smoke bombs thrown between supporters.
• Bolton Wanderers v Huddersfield Town, 2 April 2013 - Bolton supporters ignited a flare and an 18 year old youth was treated for burns picking it up.
• West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United, 20 April 2013 – fans were treated for shrapnel wounds following the setting off of thunder flashes. Debris passed through jeans and caused cuts to legs.
• Wigan Athletic v Aston Villa, May 2013 - a 15-year-old boy suffered lung damage from a smoke bomb thrown during the game. The boy needed hospital treatment, while two women aged 22 and 24, also required attention for the effects of the device.
• Liverpool v Everton, May 2013 – an eight year Everton fan was hit by a smoke bomb thrown by fans in the away end. He was treated for a burn on his neck on his first visit to a Merseyside derby.
• Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur on 20 October 2013 - an assistant referee was struck by a lit smoke canister thrown from the stand.

So if your percentages are correct then there must have been 80,000,000 flares and/or smoke bombs let off at English football grounds in the 14 months from August 2012 to October 2013!

I don't think so :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Creaky, my percentages aren't correct. I made them up in a dramatic departure from fact because I couldn't be arsed to look into in the sure knowledge someone would find my trap irresistible and provide thus...and so the trap was sprung. Thanks.

But these things are dangerous. I made this point originally. I thing they should be banned along with bullets. And alcohol. Loads of people get assaulted because of the latter - the cause of many injuries at football matches amongst spectators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here