Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THAT Penalty

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Twenty seconds in. Absolutely outrageous decision. Someone should send this to the FA and Hooper should be banned.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did it really need a new thread :lol:

I think the ref knew he had made a big mistake as soon as he gave it, as the lino on the other side was looking very nervous. Rush of blood me thinks

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Did it really need a new thread :lol:

I think the ref knew he had made a big mistake as soon as he gave it, as the lino on the other side was looking very nervous. Rush of blood me thinks

Probs not - but it was the first time I've seen it! It's not good enough to say it was 'an honest mistake'. How was the ref unable to see he cleanly took the ball? Hooper will be refereeing somewhere else next week - do they ever get banned?

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Probs not - but it was the first time I've seen it! It's not good enough to say it was 'an honest mistake'. How was the ref unable to see he cleanly took the ball? Hooper will be refereeing somewhere else next week - do they ever get banned?

Thanks for sharing that kevo :cheers:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
do they ever get banned?

Err......yes.

But banning someone for an error is excessive.

Oscar cheated yesterday by diving, he hasn't been banned, and surely being a cheat is far worse than making an error?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Sitting in ESU in line with the eighteen yard box I would shoot the ref and lino for gross misconduct of duty-------and that's letting them off lightly:drink:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Well I was directly behind the lino, and from there it actually looked a reckless challenge. OK, from other angles it clearly wasn't a pen, but from ours it could easily have been

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Ridiculous decision. It's either a corner to Bournemouth OR a penalty to Bournemouth with a red card for Calderon.

'A player who commits a foul or handling offence that denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity should be sent off for serious foul play. These decisions were incorporated in the laws in 1997.'

It was quite clearly a fair tackle, however from the Ref's point of view at that moment,it was a foul, so why didn't he show Calderon a red card based on the above rule.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ridiculous decision. It's either a corner to Bournemouth OR a penalty to Bournemouth with a red card for Calderon.

'A player who commits a foul or handling offence that denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity should be sent off for serious foul play. These decisions were incorporated in the laws in 1997.'

It was quite clearly a fair tackle, however from the Ref's point of view at that moment,it was a foul, so why didn't he show Calderon a red card based on the above rule.

Are you for real? Why was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity? He was running to the goal line wide of the 6 yrd box. There were players covering in the middle. Not in any pundits view would that be a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
Are you for real? Why was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity? He was running to the goal line wide of the 6 yrd box. There were players covering in the middle. Not in any pundits view would that be a clear goal scoring opportunity.
Apart from anybody on the FLS of course!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Well I was directly behind the lino, and from there it actually looked a reckless challenge. OK, from other angles it clearly wasn't a pen, but from ours it could easily have been

If it had been Bmuff tackling an Albion inside the Bmuff box would the crowd have howled for a penalty? Damn right we would have. Bar the pen award and not doing something about Bmuff timewasting I though the ref was one of the better ones this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If it had been Bmuff tackling an Albion inside the Bmuff box would the crowd have howled for a penalty? Damn right we would have. Bar the pen award and not doing something about Bmuff timewasting I though the ref was one of the better ones this season.

Are you prepared to ignore the fact that either a player or the ball hit him about 10 times as her was constantly in the way and didnt seem to know where he should be running

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Because it wasn't an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Usually that means a player running towards goal with only the goalkeeper or no-one to beat.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I am probably reading too much into this but judging by the way he begrudgingly pointed to the halfway line after we scored, 'Hoops' appeared to be genuinely disappointed that we had equalised against his mates from Bournemouth.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Because it wasn't an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Usually that means a player running towards goal with only the goalkeeper or no-one to beat.

I understand the rule, I'm just saying that if I were the Bournemouth player and I was on the right hand side of the 6 yard box, to me as a player, that's a clear goal-scoring-opportunity.
Nevertheless, as stated before, the tackle was fine, I just find the Ref's rules a bit odd. It's either a Pen and Red or now't.

158bmuu.jpg

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
In 2005 FIFA changed the rules removing the words "tackle from behind" to "A tackle, which endangers the safety of an opponent, must be sanctioned as serious foul play".

Whether or not the ball is touched is irrelevant - if the referee considers the manner of the tackle or the position from which it was made endangered the safety of the Bournemouth player then he was quite entitled to award a penalty.

The argument therefore is not whether or not the ball was touched but should be as to whether or not the manner of the tackle endangered the opponent - there is no doubt that contact between the players was inevitable once the tackle was made but was that contact likely to endanger the Bournemouth player? - I don't think so but the referee may well have had a different opinion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Would I bollocks. I'd have been shouting for the corner.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
In 2005 FIFA changed the rules removing the words "tackle from behind" to "A tackle, which endangers the safety of an opponent, must be sanctioned as serious foul play".

Whether or not the ball is touched is irrelevant - if the referee considers the manner of the tackle or the position from which it was made endangered the safety of the Bournemouth player then he was quite entitled to award a penalty.

The argument therefore is not whether or not the ball was touched but should be as to whether or not the manner of the tackle endangered the opponent - there is no doubt that contact between the players was inevitable once the tackle was made but was that contact likely to endanger the Bournemouth player? - I don't think so but the referee may well have had a different opinion.
It doesn't need to be serious foul play for the ref to give a penalty. He just needs to deem the tackle as 'careless'. Because Calde made the tackle with his left foot, his momentum was always going to mean he took the Bournemouth player down. If he had made the tackle with his other foot he may have avoided the contact.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I understand the rule, I'm just saying that if I were the Bournemouth player and I was on the right hand side of the 6 yard box, to me as a player, that's a clear goal-scoring-opportunity.
Nevertheless, as stated before, the tackle was fine, I just find the Ref's rules a bit odd. It's either a Pen and Red or now't.

158bmuu.jpg

If you're going to use a pic of the incident, at least use one from when Calde got the ball.
The angle was narrower by then.

Attachments

• pen.JPG
    pen.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 430

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here