Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm assuming the final offer will be bigger than the 750k allegedly offered.

Let's for the sake of the poll assume he will not sign the contract he has been offered before the window closes.

Anyway I'm interested in whether NSC thinks this would be good business, personally I think it would be madness, even if he chooses not to sign a new contract before the end of the season. We may end up getting nothing for him but he may also help fire us into the playoffs and beyond. I sincerely doubt we are going to get anyone better, who can slot into our style, for a million

BIG gamble if we sell him IMO as no guarantee whoever we get in would be better and I won't be holding my breath that CMS or Hoskins will have any meaningful contribution to make for at least two months, if at all.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Agreed. I am very much with this. Football is a game of the present and we need to keep momentum going, with Ashley doing well for us this season. He is playing for a better contract and if all goes well I am confident he will get one and he will stay with us. It is not just a question of whether we get promoted. We need to do well, we need to keep Oscar, we need to sell tickets and in particular season tickets for next year

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Don't let him go.
The team/squad needs fighters like Barnes and ElAbd who in addition I think have a love for the club, which is priceless; to compliment the skills of Orlandi & co.
High flying Burnley & Wolves have seen this in Barnes, and hopefully the Albion's management will recognise this too.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Absolute no. The game was dying yesterday before he came on and we failed at Charlton as well when a player like Barnes could have made a big difference in those conditions.

It would be total speculation to think that we could get a better player for that money, and signing players at this level is hit-or-miss, so we might as well keep the decent player already on our books.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The problem as I see it is, that if the club do not intend offering him a contract that comes near to what Burnley or Wolves offer, then we will have a sulky Barnes and we do now how he is affected that way, in which case we might as well let him go and get what we can for him now. A further six months of a Barnes not wanting to play for us is pointless, he will just not perform. .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
£750k is better than zero. A loanee to cover the gap he would leave in our squad or, better, buy someone who will improve our front line by better complementing Ulloa.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Given he probably won't sign a new contract then yes, get what we can - better than zero in the summer.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The problem as I see it is, that if the club do not intend offering him a contract that comes near to what Burnley or Wolves offer, then we will have a sulky Barnes and we do now how he is affected that way, in which case we might as well let him go and get what we can for him now. A further six months of a Barnes not wanting to play for us is pointless, he will just not perform. .

He will perform because he#ll be after a contract at a new club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poyet and Oscar aren't stupid and Barnes has been a regular starter under both of them, even when everyone's been fully fit. Unless the management are confident they've got a gem of a replacement waiting to be snapped up I'd keep Barnes and look to offload one or two others.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Barnes is a good player so assuming there is no sell on clause I would still suggest we keep him and try and get him signed up on a new contract.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Didn't know that. That seems a bit of a bizarre policy, especially seeing as Buckley signed one last January.

Yes I was surprised to be told that is what TB said at the fans forum, which means PIG, Barnes, Ince and maybe others as of yesterday, can talk to any other club about signing for them in June,

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He will perform because he#ll be after a contract at a new club.

But you can bet your life Wolves and Burnley would have filled their requirements and he will be talking to others whilst playing for us until the end of the season.
So why on earth should he bust a gut playing for us and risk injury, clubs won't sign him what he just does in the next half of the season.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I think we should keep him for our promotion push.

if he doesn't sign a new contract we should then send him to SOMERSET :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here