Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video referee?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Due to the ref yesterday we were chatting on the way home about how video technology could be used. The best we came up with was for every penalty that it awarded there should be a video reply for the 4th official to decide whether it was the correct decision. The ball is inevitable dead as the penalty has been awarded so it is not stopping play as such. I know it will not happen - but could that work?

As for what to do about the non-award of what might be deemed a clear cut pen ..... a bit harder that one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Due to the ref yesterday we were chatting on the way home about how video technology could be used. The best we came up with was for every penalty that it awarded there should be a video reply for the 4th official to decide whether it was the correct decision. The ball is inevitable dead as the penalty has been awarded so it is not stopping play as such. I know it will not happen - but could that work?

As for what to do about the non-award of what might be deemed a clear cut pen ..... a bit harder that one.

Not a terrible idea (if it is immediate and doesn't break up play) and would've meant justice was served yesterday. Penalties are TOO important for refs to get them wrong, as shown perfectly yesterday.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

You could say the fourth official gets to watch up to 3 angles once each, and if he can't see enough evidence to warrant changing the decision of the referee then the penalty stands.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm not 100% sure video reviews would ever work for pens awarded. Despite the laws of the game, many fouls are subjective in that 2 different ref's may not always come to the same decision. So referring a decision like that to a 4th official would result in the actual ref being undermined if over-turned.

It's not like reviewing an lbw or run out in cricket using hawk-eye, or even if a goal has been scored in football using the goal line technology now in use, because those decisions can be based on facts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not 100% sure video reviews would ever work for pens awarded. Despite the laws of the game, many fouls are subjective in that 2 different ref's may not always come to the same decision. So referring a decision like that to a 4th official would result in the actual ref being undermined if over-turned.

It's not like reviewing an lbw or run out in cricket using hawk-eye, or even if a goal has been scored in football using the goal line technology now in use, because those decisions can be based on facts.

The point is not that they'll always get it right, but that they are better INFORMED, which would definitely result in a higher number of correct decisions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The ref was completely undermined by 20,000-odd people who could all see it wasn't a penalty. S'a non-point.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The problem is that the referee is the ultimate authority of any given game. The laws are written such that it is his interpretation of events that are the determining factor. It isn't a foul because of what happens, it's a foul because of the referee's reading of what happened.

To have a different official overruling the referee's decision goes against this. The referee may have seen exactly the same thing as the fourth official got to see, but just interpreted it differently, and thus the laws of the game aren't being followed if the fourth official gets to overrule the ref.

The referee would have to look at the video himself, otherwise there has to be a complete re-write of the rules to make fouls more factual in definition than opinion, which will lead to a very complicated system to eliminate all areas of interpretation and opinion.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The problem is that the referee is the ultimate authority of any given game. The laws are written such that it is his interpretation of events that are the determining factor. It isn't a foul because of what happens, it's a foul because of the referee's reading of what happened.

To have a different official overriding the referee's decision goes against this. The referee may have seen exactly the same thing as the fourth official got to see, but just interpreted it differently, and thus the laws of the game aren't being followed.

The referee would have to look at the video himself, otherwise there has to be a complete re-write of the rules to make fouls more factual in definition than opinion, which will lead to a very complicated system to eliminate all areas of interpretation and opinion.

The ref could look at it himself, that would be Ok for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here