Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

According to an Argus article we may struggle to be able to get Conway back

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Due to wages and FFP.

This surely has to be a bluff? I didn't expect us to be spending big in the transfer window but I didn't see wages or a small fee for Conway as something that could be a problem.

Please reassure me that we we are not going to try and make it to the end of the season with two VERY injury prone wingers, one of whom is already out for a month

:ohmy:

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I tend to take any such article with a pinch of salt. They are about negotiations, they are about fan expectation (both on who we buy, and if necessary who we sell)

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Due to wages and FFP.

This surely has to be a bluff? I didn't expect us to be spending big in the transfer window but I didn't see wages or a small fee for Conway as something that could be a problem.

Please reassure me that we we are not going to try and make it to the end of the season with two VERY injury prone wingers, one of whom is already out for a month

By the time we sell our best players then we'll all be sitting in the Amex watching the groundsman mowing the pitch without any action just to fund the staduim.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No, we're not...

...the one who is out for a month is off to Sunderland!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, we're not...

...the one who is out for a month is off to Sunderland!

If it funds Conway, I'd settle for that tbh. Fast players with hamstring problems tend to never shake the problem off. Owen?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Due to wages and FFP.

A very poor bluff. Worst case we meet FFP but don't buy anyone. More likely we sell Bridcutt and therefore will have all of that to play with.

The more likely reason we don't get him is Baadiff being in limbo but can't even see that so all down to negotiation

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Due to wages and FFP.

Conway's situation is a strange one. He revealed on more than one occasion that he'd be keen to stay at Brighton. He also moved his wife/partner and burgeoning family here at a pivotal moment. His form indicates that not only will Brighton be keen to have him back, but other Championship clubs would be keen to take him on. Throw in a rogue Bond-villain, such as Victor Tan, booting out Mackay and trying to lure Solskjaer (who seems to be resisting), which means that Cardiff might be keen to bring Conway back into their 25-man squad.
My view is that, apart from Cardiff (and it might be too late for them as, I understand, the 25-man squad needs to be announced before the end of January, that is, just a few months before Conway's contract expires), we'd be favourites to get him. I think we should sign him because he's an above-average Championship player that is:
-- consistent
-- to the best of my knowledge, and unlike our wingers, relatively injury-free, and
-- an excellent crosser of the ball, again unlike Buckley and especially KLL, which plays to our greatest strength in Ulloa's heading ability.
I think Mackay might have been right to doubt his credentials in the Premier League, especially as I doubt he'd have the time to get those crosses in at this level, so this should influence the kind of contract that we offer him. I've little doubt that Burke, Barber, et al would take such issues into account when attempting to negotiate a deal for Conway.
Beyond that, the key issue would be whether another Championship club would be willing to offer him a vastly improved deal. Is it cash, length/conditions of contract, playing time, style of play, momentum that will ultimately attract Conway. I think we can offer him the last three of these, and that might prove decisive.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Don't want him back...What'e the point of signing a player who is not good enough for the Premiership...Much better players available out there.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Conway's situation is a strange one. He revealed on more than one occasion that he'd be keen to stay at Brighton. He also moved his wife/partner and burgeoning family here at a pivotal moment. His form indicates that not only will Brighton be keen to have him back, but other Championship clubs would be keen to take him on. Throw in a rogue Bond-villain, such as Victor Tan, booting out Mackay and trying to lure Solskjaer (who seems to be resisting), which means that Cardiff might be keen to bring Conway back into their 25-man squad.
My view is that, apart from Cardiff (and it might be too late for them as, I understand, the 25-man squad needs to be announced before the end of January, that is, just a few months before Conway's contract expires), we'd be favourites to get him. I think we should sign him because he's an above-average Championship player that is:
-- consistent
-- to the best of my knowledge, and unlike our wingers, relatively injury-free, and
-- an excellent crosser of the ball, again unlike Buckley and especially KLL, which plays to our greatest strength in Ulloa's heading ability.
I think Mackay might have been right to doubt his credentials in the Premier League, especially as I doubt he'd have the time to get those crosses in at this level, so this should influence the kind of contract that we offer him. I've little doubt that Burke, Barber, et al would take such issues into account when attempting to negotiate a deal for Conway.
Beyond that, the key issue would be whether another Championship club would be willing to offer him a vastly improved deal. Is it cash, length/conditions of contract, playing time, style of play, momentum that will ultimately attract Conway. I think we can offer him the last three of these, and that might prove decisive.

I agree with you about Conway's crossing but you're way off-beam with your opinion of Kaz ability

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree with you about Conway's crossing but you're way off-beam with your opinion of Kaz ability

Three and a half years boiled down to three and a half minutes of (slow motion) highlights (and replays of the same thing), not all of which are good crosses (there are several goals in there) proves he's way off-beam? If you're slowing down one cross so it takes 30 seconds, to make a video package last 3.5mins and then using that as proof someone is very good at crossing (Machiavelli only commented on KLL's crossing), it should only cover one half of a game of football.

Kaz has pace, but his crossing is usually only great out of luck. He doesn't tend to look and pick out a team mate. He gets past his man and boots it across the penalty box. Occasionally it works (millwall). More frequently his cross fails to even stay on the pitch. Kaz may have many talents, crossing is not top of his skill set, though.

BTW 2.11ish on the video we play a short corner and scored from it. I remember that quite well because some idiot was hurling abuse at them for taking a short corner because "we never score from them". As you can see in the video, we promptly did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here