Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waitrose Shoppers Not Happy

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Waitrose is facing a middle-class revolt from shoppers who claim that its free coffee and tea are attracting the wrong type of customers.

The high-end supermarket currently offers a free cup of coffee or tea for customers holding a my Waitrose loyalty card - even if they don't make a purchase.

Angry shoppers used Facebook and Twitter to vent their frustration, arguing that handing out free drinks is turning Waitrose into a soup kitchen and the stores are packed with less affluent customers, which is putting some customers off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...lt-over-free-coffee-loyalty-card-9030195.html

I wish poor people just **** off and shop at lidl? I certainly don't want to see twats that look like the Jeremy Kyle audience when I'm pushing my trolley around. Waitrose already have a token system where customers can elect to donate to up to three needy causes each week, there is no need to give the poor a free brew as well - the Salvation Army can do that.

It would be sad if Waitrose becomes another Sainsburys, which used to be a lovely shopping experience but is now less exclusive and frankly full of free range chavs and the poor.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long, long time. Thanks for posting that!

:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Someone in Waitrose marketing department is taking an almighty kicking at this very moment :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Waitrose is facing a middle-class revolt from shoppers who claim that its free coffee and tea are attracting the wrong type of customers.

The high-end supermarket currently offers a free cup of coffee or tea for customers holding a my Waitrose loyalty card - even if they don't make a purchase.

Angry shoppers used Facebook and Twitter to vent their frustration, arguing that handing out free drinks is turning Waitrose into a soup kitchen and the stores are packed with less affluent customers, which is putting some customers off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...lt-over-free-coffee-loyalty-card-9030195.html

I wish poor people just **** off and shop at lidl? I certainly don't want to see twats that look like the Jeremy Kyle audience when I'm pushing my trolley around. Waitrose already have a token system where customers can elect to donate to up to three needy causes each week, there is no need to give the poor a free brew as well - the Salvation Army can do that.

It would be sad if Waitrose becomes another Sainsburys, which used to be a lovely shopping experience but is now less exclusive and frankly full of free range chavs and the poor.

Call yourself a Waitrose customer? I wouldn't be seen dead reading the Independent. I read this story in the Daily Telegraph as all proper Waitrose customers did.... ;)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Someone in Waitrose marketing department is taking an almighty kicking at this very moment :lolol:

I don't know. It might bring more people into Waitrose. I certainly didn't know of this offer before I read this article.

Call yourself a Waitrose customer? I wouldn't be seen dead reading the Independent. I read this story in the Daily Telegraph as all proper Waitrose customers did.... ;)
Indeed. Waitrose are doing their very best to discourage readers of The Independent, The Sun, The Mirror and The Express.

http://www.waitrose.com/home/mywaitrose/newspaper_offer.html

Newspaper Offer

Spend £5 and receive money off your shopping when you buy selected newspapers.

How do I get money off my shopping?

Simply pick up your copy of The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Telegraph, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Scottish Daily Mail, The Scottish Mail on Sunday, The Guardian or The Observer and swipe your myWaitrose card. The value of your newspaper will automatically be deducted from your shopping. You will need to spend £5 to qualify but this can include the price of the newspaper.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I certainly don't want to see twats that look like the Jeremy Kyle audience when I'm pushing my trolley around.

You push your own trolley? Don't you have staff for that sort of thing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You get RIF RAF like HKFC drinking coffee in there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We should all make a New Years resolution to apply for multiple Waitrose Loyalty Cards under false names and real addresses and hand them out willy-nilly to every street drinker, smackhead and dog-on-a-stringer in Brighton Town :thumbsup:

Having said that, its guaranteed they'll have closed the promotion down by the time the cards come through...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ha ha, the Independent, makes the Mail look like a proper newspaper.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ha ha, the Independent, makes the Mail look like a proper newspaper.

Except that this article is hilarious, and pokes fun at the sorts of people who shop at Waitrose to escape The Great Unwashed. Someone has had a lot of fun here - that quote about texting and pushing trolleys with bellies - that has to be made up!

More Viz than Daily Mail - gets my vote.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Except that this article is hilarious, and pokes fun at the sorts of people who shop at Waitrose to escape The Great Unwashed. Someone has had a lot of fun here - that quote about texting and pushing trolleys with bellies - that has to be made up!

More Viz than Daily Mail - gets my vote.

Maybe this has passed me by, but are there really types of people who go to Waitrose to avoid a type of person? Not in Storrington that's for sure, there isn't anywhere else to shop, it's the only supermarket.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here