Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton £163 million in debt (!)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Disgraceful numbers, clearly overspent trying to stay up without relegation clauses... And Gartside seems to shrug his shoulders at it

Stumpy Tim

This highlights the issues the Bosman ruling has brought to football. Wages have shot up, but also clubs are having to tie players to longer contracts so they can't leave for free. Relegation to the championship then massively reduces revenue and the debt gets bigger.

I hope Bloom and Barber are careful of this if we get promoted. I would rather suffer relegation than gamble on staying up.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
There's one club with a transfer embargo next December then.

If they really want to make an impact with the FFP punishments then it should be the summer window, where teams like to do most of their business

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This highlights the issues the Bosman ruling has brought to football. Wages have shot up, but also clubs are having to tie players to longer contracts so they can't leave for free. Relegation to the championship then massively reduces revenue and the debt gets bigger.

I hope Bloom and Barber are careful of this if we get promoted. I would rather suffer relegation than gamble on staying up.

Longer contracts! As far as I can see, most contracts are 2, 3 or 4 years. No different to years prior to Bosman.

As for Gartside, Bolton's predicament qualifies his previous suggestions that they should abolish relegation from the premier league!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If they really want to make an impact with the FFP punishments then it should be the summer window, where teams like to do most of their business

Well it will take effect from next December until such time as they can prove that they are no longer making a loss outside of the rules. So in this case, they have to turn a 55m loss into a 6m loss and then 5m the following season. So, it may be in effect for some time!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As for Gartside, Bolton's predicament qualifies his previous suggestions that they should abolish relegation from the premier league!

Thanks you remembering that which is entirely my thoughts as to Gartsides sinister request.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'd like to share your optimism but think it will be a damp squib. As have said before the 1st court challenge and it will either collapse or be watered down

All the clubs agreed to the FFP though - I sincerely hope this will be the beginning of the Football league shake up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All the clubs agreed to the FFP though - I sincerely hope this will be the beginning of the Football league shake up.

I suggest you read DKs book to see how far the League will go to avoid ending up in court ....... in the case of FFP, the little clubs will get hit hard and the "favourites" will get a slap on the wrist.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well it will take effect from next December until such time as they can prove that they are no longer making a loss outside of the rules. So in this case, they have to turn a 55m loss into a 6m loss and then 5m the following season. So, it may be in effect for some time!

I don't see how they can begin to do that. The interest on a £163m debt will be more than £6m so, in effect, they'd have to turn a £50m loss into an operating profit, even if they lopped £10m off their wage bill, they'd still be making a heavy loss.

What I don't understand is how the banks let them build up a massive loss and continue it - most small businesses suffering heavy losses for year after year would have the plug pulled - how do clubs like Bolton get away with it?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What I don't understand is how the banks let them build up a massive loss and continue it - most small businesses suffering heavy losses for year after year would have the plug pulled - how do clubs like Bolton get away with it?

Maybe the Barcelona (€578m) and Real Madrid (€590m) model just on a slightly lesser scale.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't see how they can begin to do that. The interest on a £163m debt will be more than £6m so, in effect, they'd have to turn a £50m loss into an operating profit, even if they lopped £10m off their wage bill, they'd still be making a heavy loss.

It may not be the banks doing the lending.

I think any football club would struggle to get bank financing at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here