Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Devon watches - Incredible innovation or flatter to deceive?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Being a watch enthusiast, I am always interested in something a bit different and a friend introduced me to the Devon tread series based in California. Now the purists out there will baulk at the thought of purchasing anything that's not manufactured in Switzerland and these are certainly not cheap (they start at £6000 for a Devon tread series 2) but I find them quite beguiling and ingenious.

Do any of my fellow NSC watch collectors own one or have thought of purchasing a Devon?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
For £6k I would a sizeable chuck of Devon, probably something like Exeter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never heard of them but have recently bought a Rolex Tudor Oyster that was made in 1947. Basically a poor man's Rolex. Love it.

Would struggle to spend 6k on any watch tbh

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Being a watch enthusiast, I am always interested in something a bit different and a friend introduced me to the Devon tread series based in California. Now the purists out there will baulk at the thought of purchasing anything that's not manufactured in Switzerland and these are certainly not cheap (they start at £6000 for a Devon tread series 2) but I find them quite beguiling and ingenious.

Do any of my fellow NSC watch collectors own one or have thought of purchasing a Devon?

http://www.devonworks.com/timepieces/tread2/imagery

The belt concept is certainly interesting, but its a lot of moving parts with a lot that could conceivably prove problematic, reliability wise. Saying that, in these discussions I'm always the first to admit that I don't necessarily expect an expensive timepiece to be reliable :dunce:

I do however, expect it to look good. IMO these don't, so I'm out.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think I said before on another thread. I used to love wearing a watch, last one being a Junkers Titaniam glass backed thing, which I would love telling my mother..made by people who tried to kill you. Now when almost everybody seems to have a smart phone, and when you look around..they are normally in peoples hands, the reason for a watch really diminishes. Im sure there will be quality watches around for a few more years, but not so sure about lower end models.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As a non watch wearer this is a subject I know nothing about. What I can say however is that they are ugly beyond doubt.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Im a Breitling fan and bought a super avenger for an investment. I paid £3750 last september and it is now worth £4500. Lovely watches to own and want another but the wife won't let me

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Haven't worn a watch for many years as even an expensive one stops working after a short period. However if I had £6K to blow on a watch it eould have to be Swiss as anything else is much less likely to have a decent resale value.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Im a Breitling fan and bought a super avenger for an investment. I paid £3750 last september and it is now worth £4500. Lovely watches to own and want another but the wife won't let me

The RRP may well be £4500 (I don't know, I've not checked) but I'd be very surprised if your pre-owned watch will go for anything like that I'm afraid. Scanning ads on a watch forum I belong to, the last few went for between £1900 and £2400.

If you want to buy a watch for investment purposes at that sort of price level - buy Rolex steel sports. The residual values keep getting pulled up as Rolex move their list prices ever higher. You'll lose money on nearly everything else - Breitling, Omega and Tag Heuer included.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The RRP may well be £4500 (I don't know, I've not checked) but I'd be very surprised if your pre-owned watch will go for anything like that I'm afraid. Scanning ads on a watch forum I belong to, the last few went for between £1900 and £2400.

If you want to buy a watch for investment purposes at that sort of price level - buy Rolex steel sports. The residual values keep getting pulled up as Rolex move their list prices ever higher. You'll lose money on nearly everything else - Breitling, Omega and Tag Heuer included.

Just for interest Bozza, have you noticed any Omega 'Dynamic' on there at all? It was a short lived entry-level Omega line, based on a WWii forces issue.

I've got one boxed, never worn. Wondered if they were collectable? Its the simpler model - not the chrono.

Like this: omega_dynamic_automatic_1_lgw.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cartier is the only way forward when going large on a watch.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

If it's a standard Super Avenger I'm afraid that you wouldn't get anywhere near £4500. £2750 would be more realistic.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
As a non watch wearer this is a subject I know nothing about. What I can say however is that they are ugly beyond doubt.

Each to their own but I am stunned that anyone could call it ugly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Surely the timekeeping abilities must be a bit suspect coming from Devon,it's at least 10 years behind real time down there.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
My friend Malcolm has one but he's too scared to wear it out in case he gets mugged, so he just keeps it in a bowl by his bed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here