Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could our fans lose us promotion?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A lot of myth-making has been created around the Burnley match. Yes, the crowd was loud but it did not tangibly affect the result. We still lost.

The Brighton players played well, because they showed tremendous character, and worked like crazy to cover the extra space. Any team that is reduced to nine men is either going fight or surrender. Thankfully, our players chose the former and it is they that deserve the credit for their performance, not us.

Cheering CMS on did not mean he developed better technique in finishing in front of goal. It is technique, organisation, tactics, man management and having the right blend of players, that will win games, not how loud a home crowd is.

I agree with what you say, but if the crowd can lift the players by even a small amount, then let's do so. A passionate environment can't make a poor player a good one, but can encourage someone to stretch a little further, chase a little harder, and challenge a little stronger. Arsene Wenger always says that most matches are won by inches rather than yards, and we can be an extra inch, but only if more people buy into that viewpoint.

The atmosphere at the Amex (and nearly all all seater stadia TBH) is not great, but given that the average age of someone attending a PL match is 42 perhaps it's not surprising, just a shame.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Burnley at home, with 9 men for 75 minutes, meant that the players needed a lift from somewhere to give them extra energy as the opposition took advantage of the gaps.

That lift came from the stands, it showed that we could create an atmosphere that was both uplifting and intimidating. We had genuine chances at the end of the match to get at least a point from it too, but profligacy in front of goal meant we lost 1-0.

My view is that if we can create at environment that tips the balance in the Albion's favour, even if it's only by 1%, then we should get off our backsides and give the team additional vocal support.

I fully understand the alternate view is that some people go to matches to be entertained, and want to sit and watch in relative comfort and clap only when something has inspired them to do so, but I'd rather get behind the team and shred my tonsils for 90 minutes.

Concur fully, home support ebbs away as the game goes on and we are either at parity or behind.

Sadly unless we take an early lead you can here the crescendo of hatred against Barnes et all build up in to a binfest frenzy.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Many times last year the management, staff and players were frustrated with the lack of vocal support. 'Don't they know more then one fecking song' was mentioned a few times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we are threatening and getting shots off, the crowd will be fully behind the team. Alternatively a refereeing cock up or a bad tackle can also get the volume up.

It was always thus, even at the Goldstone, nothing new about Albion fans at home needing to be motivated by what is going on on the pitch before the volume stays loud.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I agree with what you say, but if the crowd can lift the players by even a small amount, then let's do so. A passionate environment can't make a poor player a good one, but can encourage someone to stretch a little further, chase a little harder, and challenge a little stronger. Arsene Wenger always says that most matches are won by inches rather than yards, and we can be an extra inch, but only if more people buy into that viewpoint.

The atmosphere at the Amex (and nearly all all seater stadia TBH) is not great, but given that the average age of someone attending a PL match is 42 perhaps it's not surprising, just a shame.

I think your analysis of the possible effect of a crowd (with use of the word 'inches' ) is far more realistic than those claims frequently made of a noisy home crowd somehow being a '12th man'. Taken literally, I'd certainly think a team's chances of winning are enhanced far more by actually having a 12th player on the pitch than a loud fan base cheering them on. I imagine a vociferous set of supporters can lead to an extra rush of adrenalin for players. Certainly players may 'feel' better during a game, but I wonder how much they actually play better, whether it is likely to make them go for tackles they have no chance of winning (like Gazza in the 1991 FA Cup Final) or shoot from impossible angles as well as all the things you mention, which undoubtedly contribute positively to their team's performance.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Many times last year the management, staff and players were frustrated with the lack of vocal support. 'Don't they know more then one fecking song' was mentioned a few times.

Yet those who try and start new songs usually get the moaners having a pop.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Burnley at home, with 9 men for 75 minutes, meant that the players needed a lift from somewhere to give them extra energy as the opposition took advantage of the gaps.

That lift came from the stands, it showed that we could create an atmosphere that was both uplifting and intimidating. We had genuine chances at the end of the match to get at least a point from it too, but profligacy in front of goal meant we lost 1-0.

My view is that if we can create at environment that tips the balance in the Albion's favour, even if it's only by 1%, then we should get off our backsides and give the team additional vocal support.

I fully understand the alternate view is that some people go to matches to be entertained, and want to sit and watch in relative comfort and clap only when something has inspired them to do so, but I'd rather get behind the team and shred my tonsils for 90 minutes.

This. And the last bit is very true about Brighton fans, I think. There's a lot of 'the players need to entertain us and get us going' instead of 'we'll create a cauldron of noise so the players are fired up right from the start'. Which is a shame, because an intimidating and raucous home atmosphere clearly helps some clubs with their home records. Anyone that says the fans don't make any difference is talking nonsense. It might be 0.1%, it might be 10%, but they definitely do make a difference.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
A lot of myth-making has been created around the Burnley match. Yes, the crowd was loud but it did not tangibly affect the result. We still lost.

The Brighton players played well because they showed tremendous character and worked like crazy to cover the extra space. Any team that is reduced to nine men is either going to fight or surrender. Thankfully, our players chose the former and it is they that deserve the credit for their performance, not us.

Cheering CMS on did not mean he developed better technique in finishing in front of goal. It is technique, organisation, tactics, man management and having the right blend of players, that will win games, not how loud a home crowd is.

Of course it is but if that was all there was to it why do managers and players so frequently encourage their own supporters to be noisy and remark so often on how the fans have given them a lift or been their 12th man? This doesn't just occur in football by the way, look at how modern athletes like long or high jumpers encourage the crowd to get more vocal or clap to give them a lift.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that it has to be either the factors you mention or the volume of the support. Surely a combination of the two is ideal?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think your analysis of the possible effect of a crowd (with use of the word 'inches' ) is far more realistic than those claims frequently made of a noisy home crowd somehow being a '12th man'. Taken literally, I'd certainly think a team's chances of winning are enhanced far more by actually having a 12th player on the pitch than a loud fan base cheering them on. I imagine a vociferous set of supporters can lead to an extra rush of adrenalin for players. Certainly players may 'feel' better during a game, but I wonder how much they actually play better, whether it is likely to make them go for tackles they have no chance of winning (like Gazza in the 1991 FA Cup Final) or shoot from impossible angles as well as all the things you mention, which undoubtedly contribute positively to their team's performance.

I think it's more things such as with 5 minutes to go when you're 1-0 down and are completely knackered, you're more likely to chase down that loose ball that you have almost no chance of getting if you have the crowd screaming for you to. And that kind of thing can make all the difference.

It works the other way as well, I'm sure. When you're having a bad game and everyone is on your back and moaning at you and shouting GET OFF BARNES it can't exactly inspire you to run yourself into the ground for the fans.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
This. And the last bit is very true about Brighton fans, I think. There's a lot of 'the players need to entertain us and get us going' instead of 'we'll create a cauldron of noise so the players are fired up right from the start'. Which is a s
hame, because an intimidating and raucous home atmosphere clearly helps some clubs with their home records. Anyone that says the fans don't make any difference is talking nonsense. It might be 0.1%, it might be 10%, but they definitely do make a difference.

Spot on.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Of course it is but if that was all there was to it why do managers and players so frequently encourage their own supporters to be noisy and remark so often on how the fans have given them a lift or been their 12th man? This doesn't just occur in football by the way, look at how modern athletes like long or high jumpers encourage the crowd to get more vocal or clap to give them a lift.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that it has to be either the factors you mention or the volume of the support. Surely a combination of the two is ideal?

Because it makes supporters feel they are participants, and buys into their sense of their own importance, if they feel they can actually affect the outcome of a match. Those supporters are more likely to part with their money if they are glowingly talked of as a '12th man.'

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
If we had sat on our arses and not sung at all, during that Burnley game, I am 100% convinced we would have lost by a lot more than 1-0. Tactics, organisation etc are, of course, vital, but a noisy, vociferous crowd can absolutely help the players to give that extra bit of effort.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Agree with this

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This. And the last bit is very true about Brighton fans, I think. There's a lot of 'the players need to entertain us and get us going' instead of 'we'll create a cauldron of noise so the players are fired up right from the start'. Which is a shame, because an intimidating and raucous home atmosphere clearly helps some clubs with their home records. Anyone that says the fans don't make any difference is talking nonsense. It might be 0.1%, it might be 10%, but they definitely do make a difference.

I don't think it's a unique issue with Albion fans. My wife is a United fan, so I sometimes attend matches at OT, where the atmosphere is also quite sedentary. The possible introduction of safer standing (we effectively do have a standing area in the North these days) does help improve the noise levels. It's just a shame that the North is probably ten rows too shallow to really crank up the volume.

It pains me to say it, but one of the best atmospheres last season was at Selhurst for the playoff match, where both sets of fans gave it their best.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Because it makes supporters feel they are participants, and buys into their sense of their own importance, if they feel they can actually affect the outcome of a match. Those supporters are more likely to part with their money if they are glowingly talked of as a '12th man.'

:facepalm:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I tend to think we're a little stilted in our locality thanks to a combination of a lack of stepover wizardry from players permanently under the weather, leaving us a bit workmanlike, and attached to that not a new song we sing to boast of the talents we applaud. I'm a man without any great courage, but I think a couple of new tracks on our north stand album might have us join choral forces a little more and give the team a lift when they need it. The Oscar song I will croak quietly and embarrassedly outwards when others do, but perhaps some new tunes would emote both them and us when warbled. Something different to there's only one blah blah etc.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Far too jaded and cynical an opinion for me to share!

Are you related to Hybridx or the Truth per chance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here