Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What??? You're going to spend more money!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
we're lucky with tony bloom, a proper fan. Not some nob of a 'foreign businessman' who wants to change our name, colours or even goes to games with his shirt tucked in his suit trousers ffs. Forget about the hulls the forests and the cardiffs . I'd hate to be run by one of them goons. Tb is setting us up for years to come. Do you really believe those other chairmen will be around long.. They'll be hiring and firing on a yearly basis as well. No way to plan a future that. Ffp will not be what curtails them though.

this!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Forest's summer spending included:

Djamel Abdoun - £1.5m
Jamie Mackie - £1m
Kelvin Wilson - £2.5m
Jamie Paterson - £1m

Not to mention the wages to loan the likes of Nathaniel Chalobah, Jack Hobbs, and most recently David Vaughan..

And all that for a club who aren't even receiving parachute payments. You can only sympathise with poor Billy.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
There was a thread on here recently that said that the fines might not be distributed to clubs that meet FFP, but will be donated to charity.

Then the incentive has gone, at the very least a 50/50 split between clubs and charity should happen.

QPR wont face a £60M fine if they get promoted this season , there is a one season exemption for clubs relegated from the Premier League so in effect they have to gain promotion at the first attempt. I don't think there will be any fines issued for clubs who break FFP rules and achieve promotion as the Football League has no jurisdiction over Premier League clubs. The Premier League has already stated that any promoted club becomes a member of the Premier League and therefore follows the PL regulations and FFP guidelines. The Football League has confirmed that any fines issued to promoted clubs cannot be distributed and shared out to Championship clubs who have observed FFP and the monies will go to charity but it is unlikely the fines would be enforceable in the first place. The clubs who stay within the FFP guidelines will only benefit financially from those clubs in the same division who overspend but fail to get promoted (or relegated to League 1).

So basically summed up in a few words - its a flawed load of shite as no one has the balls to give any punishment. No chance of getting finances under control then !!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We're lucky with Tony Bloom, a proper fan. Not some nob of a 'foreign businessman' who wants to change our name, colours or even goes to games with his shirt tucked in his suit trousers ffs. Forget about the Hulls the Forests and the Cardiffs . I'd hate to be run by one of them goons. TB is setting us up for years to come. Do you really believe those other chairmen will be around long.. They'll be hiring and firing on a yearly basis as well. No way to plan a future that. FFP will not be what curtails them though.

Those owners tend to get bored and leave the fans to pick up the pieces.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the transfers that enabled you to breach the FFP rule were good enough the embargo wouldnt affect you. What about the wage that you offer this season if very high you would still have to pay that next season under the terms of the players contract so possible breech it again.

In theory yes, but in reality, how many clubs do you know that don't try and change things around a bit whether with purchases or free transfers. Also, am I right in thinking that the embargo applies until you demonstrate you are complying with FFP. If you have players on expensive contracts then that might not be for several years.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Then the incentive has gone, at the very least a 50/50 split between clubs and charity should happen.

So basically summed up in a few words - its a flawed load of shite as no one has the balls to give any punishment. No chance of getting finances under control then !!

But the charity aspect MIGHT prevent a club taking it court. Who would want to be the club that takes the league to court for donating to charity, not great for their image. Though knowing a lot of these owners, they might not care anyway.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Frankly I do not care whether others adhere to FFP or not. I do not expect to see the any fines enforced, or that money to be distributed equably. The should take the word Fair out of FFP. What I am happy with is that Bloom and Barber are not prepared to gamble the future of our club on getting to the Premier League. If Forest, QPR, Leeds, Bolton etc etc want to go down that route then it is up to them, but I am happy that my club will be on a sound financial footing for the foreseeable future. Whilst those clubs are all guaranteed a further (or first) administration if they fail to reach the Premier League in the next couple of seasons.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Frankly I do not care whether others adhere to FFP or not. I do not expect to see the any fines enforced, or that money to be distributed equably. The should take the word Fair out of FFP. What I am happy with is that Bloom and Barber are not prepared to gamble the future of our club on getting to the Premier League. If Forest, QPR, Leeds, Bolton etc etc want to go down that route then it is up to them, but I am happy that my club will be on a sound financial footing for the foreseeable future. Whilst those clubs are all guaranteed a further (or first) administration if they fail to reach the Premier League in the next couple of seasons.
He is talking sense you know...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Administration is an easy way out of welching on your debts aka that lot up the road and the cheats along the coast. A 10-point deduction is nothing when you are clearing maybe in Bolton's case circa 160million and then starting again from scratch with no debt !!. The FA should relegate them to the 2nd div and ban them from paying any transfer fees and any signing on fee's over an agreed amount for at least 2-seasons. Problem is they don't have the balls and that's why FFP will wither and die

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Exactly my thoughts too. Just worry about ourselves and sticking within our means. If other clubs want to risk big spending to get to the Premier League, then leave them to it, and all the consequences should they fail. More than happy to support a club a little lower down the ladder, than someone like QPR.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Bloody hell,you had me worried then! I thought the Mrs. was out shopping again!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Administration is an easy way out of welching on your debts aka that lot up the road and the cheats along the coast. A 10-point deduction is nothing when you are clearing maybe in Bolton's case circa 160million and then starting again from scratch with no debt !!. The FA should relegate them to the 2nd div and ban them from paying any transfer fees and any signing on fee's over an agreed amount for at least 2-seasons. Problem is they don't have the balls and that's why FFP will wither and die

Yes, I agree. I know that administration sometimes lets clubs get away with it, but not always. See Portsmouth, Plymouth and even to a certain extent Leeds. They should be sent down to the bottom of the pile, you are absolutely correct. Do not confuse my not caring whether others adhere to FFP, with thinking that the way the FL and FA handle financial mismanagement is right. It is more a response to others moaning about how unfair it is that other clubs are willing to gamble with no punishment. My only concern is that we will always have a Brighton and Hove Albion to watch, in whatever division, running up ludicrous debts puts this at risk. If fans of other clubs are happy to have their owners risk their club then that is up to them.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yes, I agree. I know that administration sometimes lets clubs get away with it, but not always. See Portsmouth, Plymouth and even to a certain extent Leeds. They should be sent down to the bottom of the pile, you are absolutely correct. Do not confuse my not caring whether others adhere to FFP, with thinking that the way the FL and FA handle financial mismanagement is right. It is more a response to others moaning about how unfair it is that other clubs are willing to gamble with no punishment. My only concern is that we will always have a Brighton and Hove Albion to watch, in whatever division, running up ludicrous debts puts this at risk. If fans of other clubs are happy to have their owners risk their club then that is up to them.

Yep totally agree, just wish the punishment's sometimes fitted the crimes

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
the reality is FFP will never stand up to any close scrutiny or a test legal case if a is club sanctioned too heavily - and when the financial rewards of the premiership are so high, potentially club changing, most teams will go for it and take the risk of a slap on the wrist - after all what's a million pound fine if get £60 million for promotion! TB is a rich man clearly but 1 or even better 2 seasons in the premiership and he gets repaid 100% all of his investment. TB may be a fan and also a successful and rich business man but no-one spends what he has spent without some genuine expectation of a return on that investment down the line and if anyone thinks he is doing this all as he is altruistic or wanting to simply leave a legacy free of charge to the club and city, then they live in cloud cuckoo land! As much as I hate the way football blatantly rewards cheating and recklessness (on and off the pitch), if that is the rules of the game as they now stand then we as a club need to decide if we play by those 'rules' to level the playing field or instead stick to the official ones which handicap us completely in terms of competing at same level. Until the rules are strictly applied uniformly across the division then I can't see how we can get to the premiership (and stay there) unless we are willing to gamble too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thing is this is all about speculation!

No one actually knows how it is going to work and if it actually will work!

It does appear clubs with wealthy owners are gambling that if they are subject to fines etc or transfer embargo, they will bail the club out, or I would have thought challenge it in the courts. Certainly if most clubs in the championship took the FL to court! there is no way the FL could afford to take everyone on!

Personally, I think we may have jumped too soon with regards to FFP and I do hope our ability to sign quality players is not hampered by us being the good guys!

Having said that if we end up mid table again having played by the rules, I do think a lot of people will be pissed off by those clubs like Leeds QPR etc who have largely ignored the FFP if they end up going up.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
In a perverse way I hope Forest or another Club do go on a blatant spending spree because I have doubts whether sanctions for non-compliance with FFP will be enforced effectively and fairly. The sooner this debate is flushed out into the open the better.

I know there cannot be sanctions until after the relevant accounts are available so are retrospective, by which team the offending Club may well have bought its way into the Premiership - from where they can happily stick two fingers up to the rest.

So I think all the other Clubs, their owners and their fans deserve clarity from the Football League as to how robustly they will deal with this. OK there is bound to be a legal challenge but the debate needs to be had. If FFP cannot be enforced then why should the other Clubs bother, other than for their own financial probity, knowing they will struggle to compete on such an uneven playing field?

And as for parachute money........well that's another issue.

I don't know the answer to this but say a club ignored FFP and then blatantly ignored any penalties and/or legally challenged the Football League; if that club were subsequently relegated from the Premier League the the new few seasons could the Football League deny them a position in the Football League altogether, or maybe bring in rules in to have them relegated one or two more divisions?

It's easy to stick two fingers up to the FL on the up but eventually one of these clubs is going to find themselves in the bottom three of the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here