Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What??? You're going to spend more money!!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Quote from Billy Davies after the Leeds game

"There was a clear objective at the start of the season. The objective was to be in the top six in January.

"Having been here before - having found ourselves, in the middle of January, five points clear of third place and then not doing the business we should have done in January - we then found ourselves in the play-offs at the end of the season.

"From experience, I have had a good chat with the chairman, to tell him that the January window is very important. Having achieved our first objective, our second objective is to do some good business in the window, to give us a little lift and a push that will help us to towards the end of the season.

"Then hopefully we can achieve objective number three, which is to be in the mix come the end of the season."

Does FFP even exist?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Quote from Billy Davies after the Leeds game

"There was a clear objective at the start of the season. The objective was to be in the top six in January.

"Having been here before - having found ourselves, in the middle of January, five points clear of third place and then not doing the business we should have done in January - we then found ourselves in the play-offs at the end of the season.

"From experience, I have had a good chat with the chairman, to tell him that the January window is very important. Having achieved our first objective, our second objective is to do some good business in the window, to give us a little lift and a push that will help us to towards the end of the season.

"Then hopefully we can achieve objective number three, which is to be in the mix come the end of the season."

Does FFP even exist?

Doesn't look like it. I may be wrong but I think the only penalty at the moment for failing to adhere to FFP is financial. As long as that is the case, very rich chairman who can afford the fines will keep over spending. This makes the whole system pointless.

Having said that, FFP is pointless anyway when teams coming down from the Premier League get massive parachute payments for four years. What exactly is fair about that?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Throwing money at things only works if you spend it wisely and have the right manager too. Forest's season so far would suggest that splashing out even more won't necessarily get them up automatically.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's only financial if they get promoted. If Leeds fail to go up, they will face a transfer embargo next year.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
And as I've mentioned before, I would rather be of secure financial footing playing attractive football, than a skint ex-Premier League side with little or no future - Coventry, Portsmouth, etc....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
FFP is only fair if everyone sticks to it, including the parachute payment teams ( who should have a transfer embago if they have to use their parachute to stop going bust. Ie don't spend the parachute on new players, Adkins and the rest. ).

If not, scrap it !

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Believe it when I see it, the FL stance will crumble at the slightest court case against FP

Exactly my view as well and there are simple ways round the Etihad sponsors the Stadium for £500 million and problem solved for Man City.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
And as I've mentioned before, I would rather be of secure financial footing playing attractive football, than a skint ex-Premier League side with little or no future - Coventry, Portsmouth, etc....

Spot on, some of us can remember when we gained promotion to the then First division,spent a lot of dough but had to play backs to the wall with our goal under constant threat,following relegation we almost went non-league,dont want to see our stadium half empty,the Championship provides decent football and we can achieve a top half position without breaking the bank.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We're lucky with Tony Bloom, a proper fan. Not some nob of a 'foreign businessman' who wants to change our name, colours or even goes to games with his shirt tucked in his suit trousers ffs. Forget about the Hulls the Forests and the Cardiffs . I'd hate to be run by one of them goons. TB is setting us up for years to come. Do you really believe those other chairmen will be around long.. They'll be hiring and firing on a yearly basis as well. No way to plan a future that. FFP will not be what curtails them though.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
In a perverse way I hope Forest or another Club do go on a blatant spending spree because I have doubts whether sanctions for non-compliance with FFP will be enforced effectively and fairly. The sooner this debate is flushed out into the open the better.

I know there cannot be sanctions until after the relevant accounts are available so are retrospective, by which team the offending Club may well have bought its way into the Premiership - from where they can happily stick two fingers up to the rest.

So I think all the other Clubs, their owners and their fans deserve clarity from the Football League as to how robustly they will deal with this. OK there is bound to be a legal challenge but the debate needs to be had. If FFP cannot be enforced then why should the other Clubs bother, other than for their own financial probity, knowing they will struggle to compete on such an uneven playing field?

And as for parachute money........well that's another issue.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Throwing money at things only works if you spend it wisely and have the right manager too. Forest's season so far would suggest that splashing out even more won't necessarily get them up automatically.

Look at the money Leicester spent a couple of years back, absolutely obscene and then they had a very average season. There is a lot more to getting out of this league than just money.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
FFP is only fair if everyone sticks to it, including the parachute payment teams ( who should have a transfer embago if they have to use their parachute to stop going bust. Ie don't spend the parachute on new players, Adkins and the rest. ).

If not, scrap it !

And if they dont, then they get punished - simple. Read on an article last month that QPR are in line for a £60 Million fine if they are promoted this season, wonder if the FL will have the balls to do it. Should 1 club get fined a significant amount - then it may well make other clubs sit up and take note.

Of course, fines are distributed between the other clubs which abide to FFP too - which gives some incentive, though if they doesnt happen - then there really is no point in it.

Oh, and you dont need money to get out this league - Palace proved that.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
And if they dont, then they get punished - simple. Read on an article last month that QPR are in line for a £60 Million fine if they are promoted this season, wonder if the FL will have the balls to do it. Should 1 club get fined a significant amount - then it may well make other clubs sit up and take note.

Won't happen sadly.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Of course, fines are distributed between the other clubs which abide to FFP too - which gives some incentive, though if they doesnt happen - then there really is no point in it.
There was a thread on here recently that said that the fines might not be distributed to clubs that meet FFP, but will be donated to charity.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Oh, and you dont need money to get out this league - Palace proved that.

QPR wont face a £60M fine if they get promoted this season , there is a one season exemption for clubs relegated from the Premier League so in effect they have to gain promotion at the first attempt. I don't think there will be any fines issued for clubs who break FFP rules and achieve promotion as the Football League has no jurisdiction over Premier League clubs. The Premier League has already stated that any promoted club becomes a member of the Premier League and therefore follows the PL regulations and FFP guidelines. The Football League has confirmed that any fines issued to promoted clubs cannot be distributed and shared out to Championship clubs who have observed FFP and the monies will go to charity but it is unlikely the fines would be enforceable in the first place. The clubs who stay within the FFP guidelines will only benefit financially from those clubs in the same division who overspend but fail to get promoted (or relegated to League 1).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Doesn't look like it. I may be wrong but I think the only penalty at the moment for failing to adhere to FFP is financial. As long as that is the case, very rich chairman who can afford the fines will keep over spending. This makes the whole system pointless.

Having said that, FFP is pointless anyway when teams coming down from the Premier League get massive parachute payments for four years. What exactly is fair about that?

It's only financial if they get promoted. If Leeds fail to go up, they will face a transfer embargo next year.

Exactly, doesn't matter if you have a rich chairman or not, if you have a transfer embargo you can't spend you millions on anyone! FFP might not be the panacea but it is a step in the right direction but we do have to wait and see if the FL follow through with the penalties. The climb down in the face of pressure from the premier league over distribution of fines is however a step in the wrong direction.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exactly, doesn't matter if you have a rich chairman or not, if you have a transfer embargo you can't spend you millions on anyone! FFP might not be the panacea but it is a step in the right direction but we do have to wait and see if the FL follow through with the penalties. The climb down in the face of pressure from the premier league over distribution of fines is however a step in the wrong direction.
If the transfers that enabled you to breach the FFP rule were good enough the embargo wouldnt affect you. What about the wage that you offer this season if very high you would still have to pay that next season under the terms of the players contract so possible breech it again.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think Leeds will be getting a few in as well. Unlike gobby Davies, McDermott keeps things close to his chest. Hopefully both teams will fall short, money/players and all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here