Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve McClaren

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Looking at the table today, Im amazed at the form Derby are in since McClaren took over: 8 wins and a draw from 9 games / 21 points from 24/ Mid table to Automatic promotion spot. Pretty impressive in anyone`s book.

Yet during the summer when we were all debating who our new Manager should be, I remember McClaren`s name being mentioned a few times.....but mainly as a dinosaur who we should avoid at all costs.

Dont get me wrong, Im more than happy with Oscar and the job he has done and I wouldnt change that for the world. I believe in fate and whats meant to be.

But what if we had chosen McClaren for the job? Would he have taken us up to second with the squad he inherited? Would the meltdown on NSC had he been appointed be a distant memory?

All "what ifs" but interesting to contemplate and debate nonetheless on a wet & miserable Monday morning

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Derby were pretty settled and playing decently when he came in. We were a mess when Oscar arrived.
Not to say that he wouldn't have us higher by this point, but I'd rather have Oscar for the long-term.

Doesn't have a stupid "Dutch" accent either.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I seriously have not rated the wally with the brolley for a long time.

It seems I have to re-evaluate that point of view.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Cant knock how he has got them playing.

All about momentum in this division. With so little between sides on any given day , you get your tails up / confidence and on a run then evrything is possible. Equally when things go wrong then in this division things can unravel very quickly.

Sounds like Derby got lucky v Barnsley. With us going there in a few games I think they are due a bad run .

Can see them being top 6 but 100% they will have further bad patches. No team in this league is that good

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
McClaren is far from a dinosaur, but I think he did make some poor career choices. Very highly regarded coach, but took the England job 'too soon', went to Forest who were an absolute mess and made a load of promises they didn't keep, but did well abroad.

Derby have been under-acheiving for a couple of years really, because Clough Jnr was tactically quite poor, and preferred 'loyal' players, regardless of their ability. Must say McClarens start is superb, Derby took 6000 to Barnsley yesterday !

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've been very surprised, but we have played some poor teams - Barnsley, Charlton, Blackpool to name but three, we've not actually been THAT good. At times the attacking play has been fantastic but with the injuries we still have, a bit vulnerable at the back. Obviously we'll have some difficult patches but I do think that when we finally put a full 90 mins together and stop missing chances, it's going to be very good....

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
I've been very surprised, but we have played some poor teams - Barnsley, Charlton, Blackpool to name but three, we've not actually been THAT good. At times the attacking play has been fantastic but with the injuries we still have, a bit vulnerable at the back. Obviously we'll have some difficult patches but I do think that when we finally put a full 90 mins together and stop missing chances, it's going to be very good....

I think most of us would say exactly the same about out team!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Exceptional coach but his instant success at Derby has a lot to do with it being his home patch and the fans have embraced him. It is a very comfortable fit which is not to say it is guaranteed to keep working long term. I think he could have done a job here but given the same hand that Oscar was dealt there is no reason to know whether he would have done better or worse. Could've been a Middlesboro'/Derby or just as easily a Forest/England.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH I'm quite pleased he's on an exceptional run of form.

It can't continue, and isn't realistic.
5 wins, 2 defeats and a draw (assuming they are up to 8 now) is far more sustainable for much longer.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As said above, McClaren clearly is a good coach. Was very good for FC Twente and Middlesbrough and has been regarded as key at clubs he's been coaching at. I was speaking to a QPR fan the other day who said they'd really missed his coaching since he left to go to Derby.

Having said that, given his recent jobs, I thought Derby made a bad choice sacking Clough and replacing him with McClaren. Shows how wrong you can be. Will be interesting to see if they invest any money in the new year as there is a real chance for a surprise in the top two. Can't see Burnley staying up in the top 2 (although they might make the play offs) unless they invest the Charlie Austin money.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I thought Derby were pretty good when they beat us early in the season and was surprised they dropped off with the players they had. I am not surprised at their improvement, just surprised about who it is who's got them playing well again. Good for him, thought he was dealt with harshly by the press.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The competition at QPR wasn't up to much on the brains front

Valid point, the fans are not to impressed with Redknapp it seems.

of course the media still think he is doing a triffic job with his bare bones squad and only the 2 80 cap players in the midfield

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Going in the home end for this with a Derby supporting mate. Only £14 a ticket..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here