Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two and a half seasons in. Is the Amex developing a 'character'?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Seems an age back to August 2011 and Buckley's brace to down Donny :)

There have been debates on JCLs, Ultras, service on the concourses and 1901, oh-so-near promotion tilts etc., so how how are people veiwing the Amex 'experience' after two and a half interesting seasons, and have you settled in?

Discuss

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm not sure about a character yet, but it has a history now. There are several games that we can say really stand out.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I would sum up the character and personality of the amex as: a quiet soul with an occasional passionate outburst quickly followed by more quiet reflection. Sshhh

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Its no more loud or quiet than any other ground in The Championship, in fact its probably the best ground for atmosphere when full and both sets of fans are going for it, I really do wonder what peoples experience of football atmospheres is sometimes

I would sum up the character and personality of the amex as: a quiet soul with an occasional passionate outburst quickly followed by more quiet reflection. Sshhh

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I still find that first glimpse of the stadium as you swing round the final bend on the A27 absolutely breathtaking. Is that "character"?
The concourses are among the best anywhere and occasionally so are the fans. We dont maintain it long enough though so above all else the "character" is a mix of moments of excitement interspersed with the generally quiet and sometimes sedate.....rather like the town in fact :thumbsup:

Edit: "from west centre"

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
your opinion but very incorrect IMO

Well I do sit in the family stand near the away end and more often than not it is almost silent in that whole section.
Different areas of the ground obviously have different experiences.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Its no more loud or quiet than any other ground in The Championship, in fact its probably the best ground for atmosphere when full and both sets of fans are going for it, I really do wonder what peoples experience of football atmospheres is sometimes

Many teams in this league would say the EXACT same thing about their own grounds, it's just bias.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember us not 'owning' the Amex until we played Burnley with 9 men (how good would a point have been that day).

It's a truly marvelous sight and more than any of us could have ever asked for.

But as said, it's a reserved environment, until such time as EVERYBODY is up for it, then it's spine tinglingly awesome.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Many teams in this league would say the EXACT same thing about their own grounds, it's just bias.

The only grounds I've been to that came anywhere near the Amex in terms of atmosphere were SMS, Selhurst and the City Ground. Pretty much every other ground was loud when they cheered but they quite literally didn't sing a song (all together, at least) all game. There's normally a section - with a f**king drum - that tries to get something going but the rest of the ground is quiet.

There have been debates on JCLs, Ultras, service on the concourses and 1901, oh-so-near promotion tilts etc., so how how are people veiwing the Amex 'experience' after two and a half interesting seasons, and have you settled in?

Discuss

NO! WONT BOTHER NEXT SEASON UNLESS WE GET PROMOTED!:blush:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Living just a five minute walk from the Goldtsone and a short drive to Withdean I was spoilt and now the whole match experience has changed dramatically. Still getting used to the trains, queues and the fact that it is more of a day out rather than an afternoon. That's not a moan- just a fact.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Living just a five minute walk from the Goldtsone and a short drive to Withdean I was spoilt and now the whole match experience has changed dramatically. Still getting used to the trains, queues and the fact that it is more of a day out rather than an afternoon. That's not a moan- just a fact.

Same, except thirty minute walk from the Goldstone and fifteen from Withdean. Got a pretty decent routine established now for weekend matches at the Amex, same as most of us seem to do, though has to be said that - apart from the match itself - don't relish the midweek 'match experience' one little bit. Still, got tentative private transport arrangements sorted for the next one, in March which, if it works out, will be happy daze.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Taking into account the fact that we get 26,000 home fans the atmosphere, or lack of it, is embarrassing!!
Our support gets behind the team largely only when we are in front and as for really getting behind the team when we are losing - well, that rarely happens!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I remember us not 'owning' the Amex until we played Burnley with 9 men (how good would a point have been that day).

It's a truly marvelous sight and more than any of us could have ever asked for.

But as said, it's a reserved environment, until such time as EVERYBODY is up for it, then it's spine tinglingly awesome.

The atmosphere at that Burnley game was incredible (I suppose two early red cards will do that).

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

Discuss[/QUOTE I loved the Goldstone even enjoyed my trips to Gillingham also enjoyed our time at the Withdean but the Amex is our home now and I love it however I do miss the wood lice in the bovril at the goldstone and getting wet at Withdean but this has helped build our passion for the club now we have a good stadium also a museum and brand new training ground being built. Thank you Dick and Tony and all the different fans that did things to save our club some a bit outrageous.!!!!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My brother was in with the hudds fans for the game and he had stood by me from day one in the north stand and he thought that the acoustics of the ground is such that you struggle to hear the north stand from the south..he said the town fans were very loud and boisterous, but in the nsc you couldn't hear them.

I like the stadium but miss the intimacy of withdean. You felt more a part of the club..I suppose that we were all, or those that bothered to turn up, close to the pitch and had to make the effort to get behind the team through some really dire times.

My opinion of the Amex is it's a bit soulless and sanitised for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here