Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anelka

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What is this issue with his goal celebration?

Something about it being anti Semitic?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's in support of his friend, a household name in France, whom has been criticised for his anti-Zionist salute, la quenelle. Some prominent Jewish leaders believe it is a reverse Nazi salute and anti-Semitic.

Either way, he's probably got a long ban to contend with.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I couldn't work out what he did...he just looked like he was patting his Barclays badge

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...hands-signal-new-french-race-row-9028420.html

It all began with a joke, or an alleged joke, by a stand-up comedian.

The “quenelle” (fish or meatball), a part-anti-Semitic, part-obscene hand gesture, has since spread like wildfire on the French-language internet. Over the Christmas holidays, it was accused of provoking three vigilante attacks by gangs of young Jewish men on a hotel, a disco and a young Muslim man in Lyon.

The French Interior Minister, Manuel Valls, is now considering whether to ban all public appearances by the comedian Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala, including his popular, one-man show in his own theatre near Bastille in Paris. Members of the “anti-quenelle” Jewish vigilante gangs in Lyons, aged from 18 to 23, have been arrested.

Dieudonné (as he is usually known) has transformed himself over the past decade from a talented comedian and campaigner against the far right to a talented comedian and purveyor of anti-Semitic remarks and conspiracy theories. He has multiple convictions for racial offences.

Since Dieudonné’s 2009 “anti-Zionist” campaign in the European elections, his trademark has been the quenelle. This is a hand gesture that appears to merge the Nazi salute with a traditional, obscene French insulting hand signal, the bras d’honneur, which means, roughly speaking, “up yours”.

Thousands of examples of people “doing the quenelle” have been posted on YouTube and other sites. Disturbingly, two French soldiers were shown doing the quenelle outside a synagogue in September while on an anti-terrorist patrol.

This afternoon, French footballer Nicolas Anelka celebrated the first of two Premier League goals for West Brom in a 3-3 draw against West Ham with an apparent quenelle. The match was being shown on French TV. Anelka has been pictured performing the gesture with Dieudonné in the past.

Anelka.jpg

Dieudonné, 47, and many of his admirers, ranging from the far left to the far right, insist that the “quenelle” is merely an “anti-establishment gesture”. However, critics say that it is a calculated, anti-Semitic provocation.

The gesture involves pointing downwards with one flattened hand, like an inverted Nazi salute, while clasping a shoulder with the other hand. The president of the French league against racism and anti-Semitism, Alain Jakubowicz, says that the gesture signifies “the sodomisation of victims of the Holocaust”. Dieudonné has started a legal action against Mr Jakubowicz for libel.

The gesture has spread rapidly in France. Jean-Yves Camus, a French academic who studies the extreme right, says the quenelle has become a “badge of identity, especially among the young, but it is doubtful that all of them understand its true meaning”. Dieudonné, Mr Camus adds, has become the hero of a movement which sprawls across the traditional boundaries of right and left – anti-system, hungry for conspiracy theories, convinced that the world is run by Washington and Tel Aviv. Mr Camus says that the “spinal column” of the movement is the conviction that “the Jews pull all the strings”.

Despite several convictions for anti-Semitic remarks, Dieudonné has strayed once again over the boundary between self-proclaimed anti-Zionism and outright provocation. During his one-man show, he attacked Patrick Cohen, a Jewish radio journalist who has publicly criticised him. Dieudonné said: “When the wind turns, I don’t think he’ll have time to pack a suitcase. When I hear Patrick Cohen talking, you see, I think of gas ovens.” France Inter, the radio station for which Mr Cohen works, has brought a case against Dieudonné for provoking racial hatred.

It is against this background that three gangs of young Jewish men took matters into their own hands in Lyons last weekend. One gang attacked a young man of North African origin accused of putting a photo of himself “doing the quenelle” on Facebook. The other gangs attacked a hotel and a disco, alleged to be places where the quenelle was performed regularly. Six young men face prosecution for “premeditated gang violence”.

On Friday, the Interior Ministry announced that it was considering “all legal means” to ban Dieudonné from making any more public appearances. The ministry said that the comedian’s meetings, including his one-man show, “are no longer part of the artistic domain … and risk causing public disorder”.​

Admittedly, when I saw it I thought he was touching an armband that he was wearing under his shirt in tribute to his agent/friend who died earlier this season.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...hands-signal-new-french-race-row-9028420.html

The “quenelle” (fish or meatball), a part-anti-Semitic, part-obscene hand gesture, has since spread like wildfire on the French-language internet. Over the Christmas holidays, it was accused of provoking three vigilante attacks by gangs of young Jewish men on a hotel, a disco and a young Muslim man in Lyon.

The French Interior Minister, Manuel Valls, is now considering whether to ban all public appearances by the comedian Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala, including his popular, one-man show in his own theatre near Bastille in Paris. Members of the “anti-quenelle” Jewish vigilante gangs in Lyons, aged from 18 to 23, have been arrested.

Dieudonné (as he is usually known) has transformed himself over the past decade from a talented comedian and campaigner against the far right to a talented comedian and purveyor of anti-Semitic remarks and conspiracy theories. He has multiple convictions for racial offences.

Since Dieudonné’s 2009 “anti-Zionist” campaign in the European elections, his trademark has been the quenelle. This is a hand gesture that appears to merge the Nazi salute with a traditional, obscene French insulting hand signal, the bras d’honneur, which means, roughly speaking, “up yours”.

Thousands of examples of people “doing the quenelle” have been posted on YouTube and other sites. Disturbingly, two French soldiers were shown doing the quenelle outside a synagogue in September while on an anti-terrorist patrol.

This afternoon, French footballer Nicolas Anelka celebrated the first of two Premier League goals for West Brom in a 3-3 draw against West Ham with an apparent quenelle. The match was being shown on French TV. Anelka has been pictured performing the gesture with Dieudonné in the past.

Dieudonné, 47, and many of his admirers, ranging from the far left to the far right, insist that the “quenelle” is merely an “anti-establishment gesture”. However, critics say that it is a calculated, anti-Semitic provocation.

The gesture involves pointing downwards with one flattened hand, like an inverted Nazi salute, while clasping a shoulder with the other hand. The president of the French league against racism and anti-Semitism, Alain Jakubowicz, says that the gesture signifies “the sodomisation of victims of the Holocaust”. Dieudonné has started a legal action against Mr Jakubowicz for libel.

The gesture has spread rapidly in France. Jean-Yves Camus, a French academic who studies the extreme right, says the quenelle has become a “badge of identity, especially among the young, but it is doubtful that all of them understand its true meaning”. Dieudonné, Mr Camus adds, has become the hero of a movement which sprawls across the traditional boundaries of right and left – anti-system, hungry for conspiracy theories, convinced that the world is run by Washington and Tel Aviv. Mr Camus says that the “spinal column” of the movement is the conviction that “the Jews pull all the strings”.

Despite several convictions for anti-Semitic remarks, Dieudonné has strayed once again over the boundary between self-proclaimed anti-Zionism and outright provocation. During his one-man show, he attacked Patrick Cohen, a Jewish radio journalist who has publicly criticised him. Dieudonné said: “When the wind turns, I don’t think he’ll have time to pack a suitcase. When I hear Patrick Cohen talking, you see, I think of gas ovens.” France Inter, the radio station for which Mr Cohen works, has brought a case against Dieudonné for provoking racial hatred.

It is against this background that three gangs of young Jewish men took matters into their own hands in Lyons last weekend. One gang attacked a young man of North African origin accused of putting a photo of himself “doing the quenelle” on Facebook. The other gangs attacked a hotel and a disco, alleged to be places where the quenelle was performed regularly. Six young men face prosecution for “premeditated gang violence”.

On Friday, the Interior Ministry announced that it was considering “all legal means” to ban Dieudonné from making any more public appearances. The ministry said that the comedian’s meetings, including his one-man show, “are no longer part of the artistic domain … and risk causing public disorder”.​

Ooooh. Naughty boy then!

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ooooh. Naughty boy then!

I just edited to add a picture, and that I thought it was a tribute to his dead friend, so I too was confused as to what he had done, I just happened to have read that article after Sam Wallace tweeted it.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Anelka.jpg

Admittedly, when I saw it I thought he was touching an armband that he was wearing under his shirt in tribute to his agent/friend who died earlier this season.

Little bit strong surely? I can understand objection to a perceived anti-semetic gesture but surely the sodomisation comment is a bit far? It's not as if he's pulling a CKR is it??

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Whether anti Semitic or not, he's made it quite clear that it's a political gesture, therefore he'll cop it from the FA, because players are told not to display any kind of political allegiances or gestures on the field (witness Robbie Fowler's t-shirts in support of striking dockers).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Where does this leave Scot Quenelle? I need to know.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I hope he gets a real long ban...FA's going to have to keep up its consistency.

hardly that consistent
I did not notice them kicking up when English players were/are racially abused by foreign fans when playing abroad consistency IMHO would be them taking players off the field
but then NO that would upset UEFA and FIFA and we would'nt want to do that would we
If Anelka was making a racial gesture then he should be taken to book about it by the FA but I would find this rather hypercritical

so no change there then

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Personally I am not sure if this bothers me too much, but then the chant of 'does your boyfriend know your here' doesn't either.

I acknowledge the need for consistency here, but I am intrigued that apart from a fairly passive debate on what kind of ban he might receive, there isnt as yet an angry outrage at the very nature of the gesture, something that follows perhaps far less sinister gestures on here.

As aside, Anelka comes with loads of baggage and to me epitomises the nature of the industry.

Kids within academys, are quickly punished, sacked or released on the merest of indiscretions, unless of course they are any good.

Upstanding coaches show wonderful principles especially when dealing with aspiring youngsters that aren't wholly obviously assured a career in the game, but again overlook some of the most extreme of behaviours of an elite few.

Anelka is just another example of that.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whether anti Semitic or not, he's made it quite clear that it's a political gesture, therefore he'll cop it from the FA, because players are told not to display any kind of political allegiances or gestures on the field (witness Robbie Fowler's t-shirts in support of striking dockers).

Anti-establishment isn't necessary political though.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know.

But I suspect the FA will consider it to be, that's all I'm saying.

I gotcha. And how does this sit with their instruction for a minute's applause for Mandela? Surely this can also be seen as a political gesture?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I am not sure if this bothers me too much, but then the chant of 'does your boyfriend know your here' doesn't either.

I acknowledge the need for consistency here, but I am intrigued that apart from a fairly passive debate on what kind of ban he might receive, there isnt as yet an angry outrage at the very nature of the gesture, something that follows perhaps far less sinister gestures on here.

As aside, Anelka comes with loads of baggage and to me epitomises the nature of the industry.

Kids within academys, are quickly punished, sacked or released on the merest of indiscretions, unless of course they are any good.

Upstanding coaches show wonderful principles especially when dealing with aspiring youngsters that aren't wholly obviously assured a career in the game, but again overlook some of the most extreme of behaviours of an elite few.

Anelka is just another example of that.

True. It's a warped world. Being convicted of racism, biting an opponent, being suspended for 25% of your club's games and trying your best to leave is rewarded with a long term crazily lucrative contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here