Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
Here is what i think of each position and if they need strengthening

Goalkeepers
Even though we already have Brezovan and Ankergren as back up for Kuszczak, i would like to see a better goalkeeper come in with a chance of competing with Kuszczak on a regular basis....here is something i feel could do good

Wayne Hennessey: He would be a great keeper to have fight Kuszczak for the jersey and then sell Ankergren or Brezovan or maybe even both for a bit of money as we also have Walton who can step up if needed as i see him being at least a bench player in the next season or season after

Defenders

I honestly feel we dont need to strengthen the defence this window, we have plenty of cover in each position so dont think any defenders will come in or go out

Defensive Midfielders
Not as much here as for players to come in but more going out, this could be the time of Bridcutt leaving but it would be good if he got his mind 100% on us for at least the end of this season

Center Midfielders
I think we should terminate Andrews loan as he has not really featured the last couple months, yeah he may have had injury but with players like Crofts, Ince, Forster-Caskey, Agustien and even Orlandi and Lopez who can all play in the center, it seems like a waste of money now but if we were to try and bring someone in, i wouldnt mind seeing someone like Bentaleb from Spurs come in on loan, i know he has broke into the first team of late but when Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro are back for them he will end up back in the reserves

Central Attacking Midfielders
If Oscar wants to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation then a creative attacking midfielder is a must, someone like Jed Wallace, he is more of a Right midfielder according to Football Manager 2014 lol but he has found the net a few times for Portsmouth and we have been linked with him before but he would also be good to use as another winger but maybe they would go with Orlandi in there as i think thats where he played in Pre-Season and if i remember seeing reports, he done quite good then or maybe even Luis Alberto from Liverpool on loan, he may be on bench for first team at times but once Gerrard is back and Sturridge i dont see there being a place on the bench for him and it would save him rotting in the reserves

Wingers
I do feel we need at least another one or two wingers this window if we can get someone in with maybe March going out on loan to a League One club for experience for the rest of the season, here are some players i feel would be useful with one long shot return but could also see Barnes being used more out wide in some games

Craig Conway: He would fit the bill as he had a good loan spell with us and he has also said he would like to come back
Matt Ritchie: I feel he could do a job here, been on good run of form at Bournemouth scoring wise as of late and offers us something different
Dean Cox: He has helped Leyton Orient to fighting for promotion this season and i would like to see him back in a Brighton shirt!
Elliott Bennett: This one is an outsider one, he will prob be used by Norwich when he is back but if he needs first team football to help regain his fitness im sure we would all welcome him back here
Serge Gnabry: He featured for Arsenal earlier on this season with even scoring a goal or two but with Podolski back and Oxlade-Chamberlain returning there may not be many chances for him

Strikers
Despite when Mackail-Smith and Hoskins are back, i feel we still need another good striker to help us along the rest of the season and with Lita going back to Swansea we would need someone else in even if its for a 1-3 month loan, here are some people i would go for:

Nakhi Wells: He has been on good goalscoring form for Bradford so he could do a job here
Jonathan Obika: He has been linked with coming here all season so far, may not be the best in goalscoring but he has pace which can help especially if he was to be put in a 2 upfront with running on the balls from the lay offs from Ulloa
Yaya Sanogo: Went to Arsenal this season and featured on the bench but then as been fizzed out, and plus with Giroud, Podolski and even Walcott who can play upfront for them plus with rumors that they are looking for another striker, it would give him a good chance to settle into English football
Bobby Zamora: Come on....this one always gets mentioned so thought may as well add it in :p.

So what does people think of my transfer targets for each position? i know obviously has to do with money and that as well...plus if people think ive gone too far into this, i cant sleep so on an all nighter and was bored so thought would start up a discussion!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
As much as I agree that Hennesy is a good keeper at this level I can't see him or Kush wanting to play second fiddle. I imagine we'd sell either Brez or Casper and keep the other as back up whilst Walton is still young. As for other positions I think we need a young right back and as ever a pacy centre back. No need to strengthen the centre of midfield as Orlandi is more than capable of being our creative midfielder. Get Conway back (although I like your suggestion of getting Matt Ritchie even though it'll never happen) and hold on to Ulloa at all costs.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Yaya Sanogo: Went to Arsenal this season and featured on the bench but then as been fizzed out, and plus with Giroud, Podolski and even Walcott who can play upfront for them plus with rumors that they are looking for another striker, it would give him a good chance to settle into English football

Football Manager 12 tells me this would be a good move :thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Have you ever heard of Paul Barber and FFP?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Surely it all depends on who leaves.

I expect us to hang on to Ulloa unless there is a silly offer. However, there must be a real prospect of losing Bridcutt and Barnes with their contracts up at the end of the season when we might then get nothing for them.

If Bridcutt goes then if we keep Andrews on we might be ok in midfield. However if Barnes goes then we will badly need a striker or two. I would hope to see some action here depending (as always) on who is available. If we lose Bridcutt and/or Barnes we may have a bit of cash.

Best news however would be new contracts for both of them!

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Surely it all depends on who leaves.

I expect us to hang on to Ulloa unless there is a silly offer. However, there must be a real prospect of losing Bridcutt and Barnes with their contracts up at the end of the season when we might then get nothing for them.

If Bridcutt goes then if we keep Andrews on we might be ok in midfield. However if Barnes goes then we will badly need a striker or two. I would hope to see some action here depending (as always) on who is available. If we lose Bridcutt and/or Barnes we may have a bit of cash.

Best news however would be new contracts for both of them!

Bridcutt has 18 months left

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Personally I'm not sure we will do much business in the transfer window. I guess it all hinges on whether Bridcutt goes, what sort of fee we get for him and how much of that will be available for transfer deals. There is a wage bill to offset too.

I still think we generally have a very decent squad and we just need to get them all fit, rather than bring in a rash of signings. Oscar has never had a fully fit squad to select from, let alone allow him to give them a run of games together. I can see maybe one signing and a loanee or two.

IMHO it is more about fine tuning what we have and planning for the future. To start with I would tidy up some loose ends by offering Ward a permanent deal and get Ince on a longer contract. I don't think a new keeper is a priority, especially with Walton already on our books. I'm not sure we will hang on to Andrews or Agustein. Maybe Kemy, but he needs to show consistent form and fitness.

We do to look at a new CB, although we don't (normally) ship lots of goals Greer and Upson aren't getting any younger and are short of pace. El Abd is a squad player and Dunk doesn't seem to be developing at the rate we hoped, while Maxi isn't in the frame. Maybe Dunk ought to get another run in the side but not sure he has the pace to be the longer term solution. It is too soon for Dallison so maybe now is a good time to bring in a young-ish CB with a bit of pace who can be developed under Oscar. Pity we didn't try harder for VVD as a decent young CB won't come cheap.

I am concerned at KLL and Buckley's injury records which don't help their form. I cut Buckley some slack as he is often played out of position. I am beginning to think KLL should be moved on, he isn't even doing it as an impact sub. Conway would be ok, he isn't an out and out speedster but on his day causes problems and is at least prepared to take defenders on. He might fit our budget.

Lopez is becoming too much of a luxury player, yes he is capable of a match winning pass or that special dead ball but this is offset by huge periods when he goes missing during games, avoids challenges and leaves us light in midfield. I think Orlandi is his longer term replacement if he can stay fit.

Ulloa and Barnes will be our only fit strikers for the next month or two, which is still a bit thin. I hope CMS will regain his peak form but realistically that cannot be before March. So I can see another loanee coming in.

So to summarise: deals for Ward and Ince. A new CB and possibly Conway and a loan striker.

Finally a word for Solly March - at the beginning of the season many on here hoped he might break through, but it hasn't happened despite the injury crisis so clearly he isn't flavour of the month, which is a shame. Maybe his time will come, perhaps a loan deal for him to get games under his belt?

Jimmy Grimble

Got half way through the post and thought this kid must have been playing Football Manager, one sentence later "Jed Wallace, he is more of a Right midfielder according to Football Manager 2014 lol" :lolol:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure we are locked into Andrews for the rest of the season.

Obika In, Conway In, Lita Out

Bridcutt out if we get a really good offer but I'm not expecting one, I just don't see that much genuine interest in him from that many clubs. Barnes out if he is refusing to sign a new contract. Need to get Kuszczak on a new deal ASAP.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Nobody seems to be looking at our aged backs..Bruno brilliant on his day ....but for how much longer...Ward ok at the moment and Calde getting on in years....We have Chicksen and Maxi....but are they ready yet?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I disagree about Hennessey. He was a promising youngster, but now he cannot win his place back at Wolves. Injury has really stunted his career. What he needs is first team football. I don't think that benchwarming for us will develop him, and he needs development. On current form, I don't think he is much better than Brezovan.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did we sell someone for 10M and suddenly have a massive pot of cash available for transfer fees and wages? I stopped taking the post seriously at the suggestion that we need to add another 'keeper to the 3 already in the senior squad.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We don't know all the details but I thought Solly March had a good pre season, scored a great goal against Norwich and looked in the same vein as Craig Noone. I do think he could do as good a job as Buckley, who at the moment has very little to offer. I also thought Dickenson was a really pacey player when I saw him pre season, its a shame we havn't seen him either. We all have an idea that the budget is being tightly managed, so other than Conway coming back I see very little movement for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here